Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been some discussions in another thread recently about RB's and JZ's again and it made me wonder... Why would you put a Barra in a GU instead of a TB48?

Surely fitting a TB must be easier as GU's came out the factory with them and AFAIK a TB48 is just as reliable and can make the same power as a Barra.

Is a Barra significantly more fuel efficient, perhaps because of its smaller displacement?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,103 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
5,213 Posts
Another guess might be that the Ford ECU & electronics are easier to adapt. The TB48 would have the NATS issues as well

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another guess might be that the Ford ECU & electronics are easier to adapt. The TB48 would have the NATS issues as well
I would've thought that, if you get the engine, ECU, keys, NATS and cluster out of a TB48 donor car, the swap would be relatively simple...? Not that that's the way I'd do it. If I ever did a petrol engine swap I'll go straight to an aftermarket stand-alone ECU like a Haltec or something.

Like @St3v3 said, it's most likely because you can find Barras under every rock you kick over in AUS.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
because there was maybe 50 tb48's sold in oz...lol
everyone was well on the diesel band wagon by then.

tb48's are a wiring nightmare, not to mention there just isnt any in the second hand game and after market support is near zero.
thats the barras biggest draw card, parts and motors are cheap, performance game is cutting edge and all the conversion bugs are ironed out these days.

one can near convert a tb45/zd etc to na barra for less than the cost of a tb48 motor not to mention the cost to get it installed.

the barra either in na or turbo is a motor the gu should have had from the get go.

·
Registered
nissan
1,209 Posts
Pretty sure to make a TB48 go, it needs boost added, one thing i learnt with adding Turbos to my Torana engines 186s 202s etc, when a engine is not factory designed with a Turbo, it creates problems when you add one, opting for a engine that is designed to be Turbo by the manufacturer, saves a lot of headache and increases reliability, not just talking about blowing up, but things like exhaust leaks, oil leaks etc, crap that plagued me for years.

Best thing i did was ditch the Holden engines and put a Nissan RB30ET (which technically only ever came out factory in a "Holden" VL Turbo) in the torrie, a pain to do compared to a naitive aussie motor, but wish i did it earlier, the RB just worked on so many levels, these days a Boosted Barra would be my pick over many engines. :p

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Benefit of those wanting a turbo 6. Is the Barra can have a reliable auto easily fitted/built.
The 6spd ZF is relatively cheap to make handling the power of a 300+kw engine in a 3t car.

Not many people are building built RE5’s.

The decent 6spd auto is why I will go either LS2 or Barra when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Benefit of those wanting a turbo 6. Is the Barra can have a reliable auto easily fitted/built.
The 6spd ZF is relatively cheap to make handling the power of a 300+kw engine in a 3t car.

Not many people are building built RE5’s.

The decent 6spd auto is why I will go either LS2 or Barra when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, nah... Manual for me all the way. :sneaky:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts