Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I maybe against the grain, but I cant get into taxi racing - ban anything holden and ford cant beat... then make them so similar that they can exchange parts.

Then only have 3-4 teams that are genuine contenders, the rest make up the numbers. There is a point?

It just isnt the same as driving them off th showroom onto the track at the Biggest race..

·
Registered
nissan
446 Posts
Many years ago it was interesting, the car that was fastest to the top was most likely past across to top and in the S's only for a 3rd contender to pass them all down the straight and then hope like hell he had enough brakes make to the 90deg turn at the end. Corolla v's Volvo v's Jag Vs Skyline v anything else.

Now it as interesting as watching freight train go past.:doh: :doh:

·
S.W.A.T.
nissan
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Bad Juju said:
Well which one , Lowndes has not driven for Holden for a loooong time.
Mate I am a livid HOLDEN man but LOWNDESY is my fav driver.

As truckster said all the cars are so equal now it's more about the drivers.

IF LOWNDESY DOES NOT WIN THEN GO HOLDEN!!

·
Going everywhere
194 Posts
Have to agree with RedBull. The V8 supercars are basically clones of each other with different drivers. There is not really any Holden or ford any more and if they get Toyota or any other manufacturer to join in all they have to do is put a car body onto any existing race chassis/engine combo and they are a part of it. Used to camp on top of the mountain for 8 days each year but it isn't what it was any more.
Best racing now is the production cars. Last year at Bathurst the HSVs were fantastic up and down the mountain, the Lancers beat them across the top and through the S's where the big cars with V8s don't handle so well but it ended up HSV 1,2 and 3 followed by Lancers, WRXs and FPVs.
Racing would be more interesting if it were all manufactureres and something from the factory rather than what we have now which is basically a standardised car shared between all teams.

·
Slow, Rough and Expensive
1,137 Posts
Yep, I'll be watching but its true that it ain't what it use to be. Hope that they show the the production racing which is true to the saying "race on Sunday, drive on Monday". I reckon they should have a catagory where anything goes from naturally aspirated 3 cylinders to quad turbo v12's as long as they can do a respectable lap and their only limit would be how much money the teams could afford to spend, now this would spawn some awsome machines;-)

·
Registered
679 Posts
GO LOWNDESY. But bring back the Godzilla. Aussie pieces of **** could keep up. Imagine if they let the latest GTR in. The v8 would not start as they would be scared :)

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Much the same could be said of Formula 1 or Formula round and round as I like to refer to it. I remember reading about the Bathurst years ago and just so wanted to go and see, but from what you guys have said here, its no more, very sad. I think the best racing to watch these days is rallying. It still has that something that makes you want to watch, and driver skill is second to non - no room for primadonnas in rallying !

·
mechanical necromancer
1,682 Posts
X 3 bring back the variety it was interesting adn anything really could come home first (well maybe not a corolla) but it was good to see all the teams having a craic....

now it's :sleep:(kinda like topgear australia)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi there,

My money is on the safety car. It comes out for 3/4 of the race, and when it does, it's always in front. Under those conditions you could win in an Avis rental.

If you want to make it fun (carnage) run it with 202 Kingswoods, with column change, stock suspension and tyres.:D Then you'd see some fun.

·
mechanical necromancer
1,682 Posts
what about a patrol dumped on it's nuts with slicks?

·
Administrator
4,576 Posts
Great job on the start line Tander. :D

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Tracteur Tom said:
Much the same could be said of Formula 1 or Formula round and round as I like to refer to it.
Totally agree - but interesting to hear the head of F1 saying on tele theother day that it only has another 12 months to live as a sport if drastic changes arent made.
Its like taxi racing, its only ever been a 2-3 brand sport.. the rest are there to make up a field.

·
Slow, Rough and Expensive
1,137 Posts
GO THE FORDS!!Well the motor and shell anyway,:rolleyes: It's farked just how much gear the 2 rivals share in their cars, diffs,brakes,gearboxes, suspension. They are so far removed from the HSV or GT falcon you would see at the dealer down the road and they are just purpose built race cars in a sport with too many controls and how about the tyres delaminating, not just on one car but the whole field cause they can't pick their own brand. The way its going they might as well drive 1 brand of car too..:(

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
micks4x4 said:
GO THE FORDS!!Well the motor and shell anyway,:rolleyes: It's farked just how much gear the 2 rivals share in their cars, diffs,brakes,gearboxes, suspension. They are so far removed from the HSV or GT falcon you would see at the dealer down the road and they are just purpose built race cars in a sport with too many controls and how about the tyres delaminating, not just on one car but the whole field cause they can't pick their own brand. The way its going they might as well drive 1 brand of car too..:(
been saying same for years. but its a business, not a sport now.

would love to see production racing get this sort of TV time, and support, imagine what they could do for 1/10th the cost.. how many teams would be competitive.

·
Registered
nissan
152 Posts
Go the OVAL badge!

This is why I have one of those sexy bonnet bulge beasts sitting in my garage. Ford fans seem to be few and far between now? Every turkey at work has an SS and I am the only Boss owner. In saying that, I don't mind any car with 8 cylinders, a gear stick and rear wheel drive.

Oh - great race- the slow mo's are just fantastic and getting better and better every year!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts