Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across this on ebay, while looking for options for my canopy. It looks like it will be able to tell you all you all you need to know.

It can measure Forward and Reverse current.

• Combines many functions in one,
Dual display for Voltage (V)
Current (A), Power (W)
Ampere-hour (Ah),
Working Hours (H), Charging Time, Discharging Time
Battery capacity (%)

• Have built-in shunt, no need external shunt,
•Flexible On-line calibration function, calibrate Voltage and amps reading easily.
• Adopting modular design, collocate indicator lights on the panel for various working status.
• 4 digits LED for Voltage, Power, and Working hours reading, 3 digits LED for Current and Ah reading.
•Lowe power consumption.
• External power supply DC12V/24V, or powered by the same source being measured (10-90V).

DC 90V 30A AMP Volt Combo Meter Battery Capacity Power Charge Discharge Monitor | eBay

Anyone have an opinion on it?

Cheers,
Shayne

·
Registered
963 Posts
Cant tell you much about those, but everyone ive seen that wants to monitor battery SOC etc seems to be using something like the Victron BMV 700.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
Yep i have one and it works good and easy to set up and seems to just work. Good for knowing how many amps are going out when engine off or in when solar connected too. Lets me keep an eye on things better than a simple volt gauge.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
2,973 Posts
I use redarc gauages incabin for volts on main and aux, and amps on aux

Beyond that I just read the specific gravity of the electrolyte using a cheap turkey baster style manual tool, actually this is pretty much the only tool you need

·
Registered
nissan
945 Posts
The built in shunt could be inconvenient if you don't want to run heavy cable to the display. 30 amp capacity may not be enough if you want to monitor charge from a cars alternator.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
What Jezza said x2...

Looks like a good unit if you are essentially cutting a feed cable and splicing it insitu and only using it for Solar and low load applications.

If you want the device so it is remote to the existing cabling then having to run the heavy cable to stop excessive voltage drop will be a pain in the arse and that is where the external shunt monitors come in to play.

The best of all is the inductive pick up jobbies but they are more expensive

·
Registered
Nissan
523 Posts
These monitors often have the sense resistor on the -ve rail so you must have all grounding paths through the device which can be somewhat inconvenient if you use the chassis as a grounding point.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
The built in shunt could be inconvenient if you don't want to run heavy cable to the display. 30 amp capacity may not be enough if you want to monitor charge from a cars alternator.
I didn't realise the one linked had internal shunt. The one i have uses an external shunt which i have mounted on the -ve terminal of aux batt. Also a larger amperage too boot. Looks exactly the same and only have two skinny sense wires to route.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be mounted in the canopy, where the battery and fuse box etc is, so cabling is not an issue.

I was thinking the 30 amps might be a problem too. Would it damage the gauge or just not read higher??? Alternator could possibly get near this amperage.

Thanks for your thoughts so far fellas. ;)

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
There are heaps of them with more amps and external shunts to choose from.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are heaps of them with more amps and external shunts to choose from.

Cheers, I will keep looking I think, and see what I can find with a bit more amperage capacity.

I know I can pay $300 for a good one but I am not keen on that if I don't have to.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Sooty, didn't know you had found one so have been looking myself.

DC 120V 100A Voltage AMP Power Capacity Meter Battery Monitor State OF Charge | eBay

External shunt, 100amp which will be heaps for me. The wiring to the gauge is only small, so it is only the shunt that needs heavy cabling and be in circuit. So wiring it in is easy I reckon.

There is another one advertised that is a bit dearer, and buy two get one free, but the fine print says you don't get the shunt.

So this one looks like it is the go.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
Thanks Sooty, didn't know you had found one so have been looking myself.

DC 120V 100A Voltage AMP Power Capacity Meter Battery Monitor State OF Charge | eBay

External shunt, 100amp which will be heaps for me. The wiring to the gauge is only small, so it is only the shunt that needs heavy cabling and be in circuit. So wiring it in is easy I reckon.

There is another one advertised that is a bit dearer, and buy two get one free, but the fine print says you don't get the shunt.

So this one looks like it is the go.
Yeah thats them. Very easy to wire in. I actually bolted it directly to the -ve battery terminal and then all connections off the shunt.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you know how come they list two different voltages in the specs depending on whether the power supply is external or not? It is shown here. I would like to know that it will read lower then 10 volts.

Power Supply 10V~90V (external/Internal power supply) Optional 5-40V
Measuring range (1)Volt 0~120.0V / Amp 0~100A, external power supply
(2)Volt 10~90.0V / Amp 0~100A, Internal Power supply
Display Type 7 segment 4digits Red LED
Sampling rate 5 readings per second
Accuracy Volt ± 1% + 2byte / Amp ± 2% + 5byte
Resolution 0.01V, 0.01A, 0.01W, 0.01Ah, 0.01H
Dimensions 79mm×43mm×25mm
Size of mounting hole 76.5mm×39.2mm
Meter Weight 80g

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
I think it can power via the +ve sense wire internal or you can have a seperate external source eg ignition or main batt instead of constant from aux battery. Internal power will only read 10v as it no doubt requires 10v to power up as per the 10v-90v supply. So if < 10v cant read as the unit will be off? External power source means it can read the sense battery lower than 10v as long as the power battery is > 10v ? I can't say if mine reads below 10v as i don't think my batt has been drained that low.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have checked the 30amp one and it is the same. Reckon you are right.

Might have to give one a try I think.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
29 Posts
hi guys i have bought these DC Programmable 0-200V 0-500A Voltage AMP Ah Power Combo Meter Battery Monitor | eBay it comes with this shunt 500A 75mV DC AC Current Shunt Resistor For Digital Amp meter Analog Meter | eBay and am having trouble getting them to read amps and watts have wired it up as diagram shows can read volts ok can get amp and watt values if i disconnect the wires from shunt to circuit board don't think watt measurement is very accurate, amp is just a number not a measurement any help please.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you programmed the unit after fitting as per the instructions? You have to set parameters in it for it to work.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts