Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
29 Posts
i went by the setting instructions for volts with 25.8volts as stated over 20 volts are needed and only way i could put any settings for amps in was to disconnect the wires from the shunt to the circuit board and doing that won't measure amps just reads the value i entered and only when those wires are disconnected entered some over and under protection parameters still no good and have tried two of the three guages,shunts,and circuit boards

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Your instructions that came with the unit should give you a model number. Is it DCM120100C?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
29 Posts
so is yours programmable, does it current forward and reverse? i have seen some that do this

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It needs to have parameters set in order to give accurate readings. So you need to tell it the battery capacity of your system. Mine will measure output, as in current draw to fridge and lights, and also current input from a solar panel etc.

Bit of stuffing around to set it up, so I can only guess yours is the same, so will need to be done carefully. Mine also had 3 different wiring diagram options, so that needs to be right depending on system set-up too.

I can only suggest you look at everything carefully to find the fault.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
29 Posts
thanks for your help here I'm gonna have another go at setting up I'm using the three wire setup and i have 1 gauge and circuit board not unpacked that I'll try

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
22 Posts
So I recently upgraded from a basic ebay battery monitor to a Victron BMV-712, and so far I'm loving it. It's leaps and bounds ahead of my old unit, and will allow me to safely drain more out of my auxiliary battery than ever before.

While the installation and setup is probably beyond the capabilities of the average bloke, using it is easy and intuative. If you're anything like me, you probably start to wonder how much longer your camping lights and fridge will last while you're sitting by the fire drinking a few cold ones. This unit tells you in real time the charge level in % along with the time remaining until it is flat (among other things).

My favourite feature by far is that you don't have to get out of your chair to check it. Using your phone, you can connect to it's built-in bluetooth and see what's going on, as well as change the settings and even graph paramiters and save them to your phone.

This unit is extremely versatile; I have it set up to monitor my start battery voltage, but it can be set up to monitor battery temperature instead. It also has a fully configurable output to drive a relay, and through the software settings it's possible to have it function as a smart dual battery isolator by controlling the isolator/relay (say goodbye to expensive arb/redarc units!).

Overall I'm extremely happy with it, and would reccommend it to anyone who is serious about camping out of your 4X4.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
I have come across this on ebay, while looking for options for my canopy. It looks like it will be able to tell you all you all you need to know.

It can measure Forward and Reverse current.

• Combines many functions in one,
Dual display for Voltage (V)
Current (A), Power (W)
Ampere-hour (Ah),
Working Hours (H), Charging Time, Discharging Time
Battery capacity (%)

• Have built-in shunt, no need external shunt,
•Flexible On-line calibration function, calibrate Voltage and amps reading easily.
• Adopting modular design, collocate indicator lights on the panel for various working status.
• 4 digits LED for Voltage, Power, and Working hours reading, 3 digits LED for Current and Ah reading.
•Lowe power consumption.
• External power supply DC12V/24V, or powered by the same source being measured (10-90V).

DC 90V 30A AMP Volt Combo Meter Battery Capacity Power Charge Discharge Monitor | eBay

Anyone have an opinion on it?

Cheers,
Shayne
I have this monitor, and have purchased a few other similar ones, including one that used a hall effect sensor to measure current via induction. All of these monitors share the same downside, which is accuracy at low current. In the end i went for the victron monitor which has bluetooth connection and can be had for about $280 on ebay if you know where to look.

Low current accuracy in a camping rig is critical in my opinion. I found most of these units would see no draw if itwas below 0.2A. That means with the car sitting for a few days, the meter would be out of sync by 10Ah or more. I found myself manually synchronizing the meter every time i went camping and it was just a pain.

The Victron BMV is worth ever dollar three times over. Buy once cry once, but don't. with that said i think the redarc management systems are hugely overpriced and overrated (and i have their stuff too).

·
Registered
GU RD28
94 Posts
+1 for the Victron BMV-712 unit. Great bit of kit and a relatively easy install. Love the bluetooth feature as the unit is installed on the back of the draws for easy viewing at the campsite. Then if you're in the car you can bluetooth to it and see the current or state of charge.

Strangly though it gives me a WILDLY different reading that the CTEK battery sense unit - CTX BATTERY SENSE

21 - 30 of 30 Posts