Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys/gals, those who have moved the battery's out of the engine bay & into ....... somewhere else,
Usually the back of the wagon, send me pics & info on the setup please. I'm sick of only getting 2 years out of expensive 4x4 super heavy duty batteries. Over $600 to replace both thee days. I use century ultra performance batteries cos it's an aussie company, and that means something to me. 810cca 185rc.
A few google searches seems to provide a lot of info about patrol engine bays being very hot and poorly ventilated,
So, i have a few metres of cable as thick as my thumb, I'm serious, it's arc welding cable. The only thing I'm not sure about is the power to the winch. That would be a hugely long cable.(cables actually)
So show me your setups please as I'm still in "deep in thought" mode as to where to set it up.
My only battery management is a projecta 140amp isolator and a 100amp altenator, all wrapped up in an 05 GU wagon powered by the awesome zd30..(cough cough...choke)
All help and advice greatly appreciated .
Oh, fyi, only the front two seats are in the car, middle & 3rd row are gonesky.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,713 Posts
Welcome back mate, I'm sure there are a couple of existing threads on this.

Found a couple that might give you a few ideas and some things to ponder.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,716 Posts
My second battery is on the chassis rail under rear passenger side.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ross, i searched, but not a lot of pictures for guidance, and they were a few years old, so thought there might be a few modern answers out there now.
I was considering extra fresh air ducting, but thought that was a bit of a bandaid solution.
Your a ginger beer mate, whats your opinion??
Rgren2, some pics .....I've heard of that but can't see there being room to fit.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,716 Posts
Bit dodgy photos, have to use your imagination to position them.
65AC5247-3DDA-475C-81E7-B768722B5EEC.jpeg
E2C17F90-B13D-46A4-AADF-B4294DBE1DD5.jpeg
86A30D97-8D96-4F99-8BA6-23821909724E.jpeg
631F7020-C855-4D1D-9F34-3D871D535EB6.jpeg
1F4019CE-7903-4AAA-89FA-B9AABDFB0BD4.jpeg
074F0336-EF53-4766-BCEB-23E6688C8CD7.jpeg
A2CA7AD2-E8EE-473D-9465-EE771A6207BA.jpeg

·
Registered
nissan patrol
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good setup rgren, but i was thinking more like the setup in the gq link you sent Ross.
Also i run 2 cca batteries under the bonnet for 4x4ing, and a deep cycle for the fridge that only goes in the wagon when the fridge goes in. The second battery under the bonnet is for all accessories, ie... led lights, uhf, winch, rear of the wagon power feed. Please don't start on the winch connected to the starting battery argument, thats not what I'm asking.
If i go for the tucked in behind the seats option, do you think 0b&s cable is enough to reconnect to the engine bay?? And yes, my batteries are fully sealed to go in the passenger area.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,713 Posts
What is the setup in the back of your wagon now, do you have draws or other items there?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That is spot on knuckles.
Ross, this is my setup. A fridge slide, and the box on the back is to house the deep cycle battery & you can see the Anderson plug power supply.
Thats it. I dont want drawers.
But i would like to upload these photo's.....
Wtf is going on...
No allowed extension...
Bear with me...

Attachments

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,258 Posts
I'm not convinced that all the engine bay battery failures reported, are due to excessive heat.

I installed a very simple heat shield and took some temperature measurements. My battery is very happy where it is.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,713 Posts
I'm not convinced that all the engine bay battery failures reported, are due to excessive heat.

I installed a very simple heat shield and took some temperature measurements. My battery is very happy where it is.
Tend to agree. I have had an AGM as second battery for a year now, it was installed as a test for a company, every few months I get an email on how it is going. I have no heat shield on my turbo, I never got around to refitting it considering I've had the tutbo off several times playing with things. All still good.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,475 Posts
Can't comment a ZD30, but I'm only just recently starting to have problems with my underbonnet batteries. Only lasted 8.5 years so far.

I just keep them topped up with distilled water and have the car on a float charger when not in use (which sadly is most of the time 😢).

·
Registered
nissan patrol
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've just ordered some heat shield material for the firewall & tranny hump. Should have some left over, so i'll have a go @ the battery tray's & make some shields for the sides.
I still think moving them would be a more total solution.
Neardood... that looks like a top unit, but over $400 ....i could copy one.......

·
Registered
All work done the hard way
482 Posts
Neardood... that looks like a top unit, but over $400 ....i could copy one.......
@y b normal I have just been through that, those were my exact thoughts. Having done it (i.e. diy) I reckon $400 is excellent value for the horizon one lol.
I put drawings with measurements in my thread if you want to diy, you could adapt them to your own needs.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very true knuckles.
Ross, you didn't answer my question, do you think 0 b&s cable is ok to reconnect to the engine bay??
I Have 10m of 8 b&s sitting here but i don't think it is thick enough.
What guage cable would you recommend from,
  • behind the front seats.
  • in the recesses like knuckles has done.
Really appreciate all the advice you give blokes like me from your vast pool of experience & knowledge.
I hate using the trial & error method.....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks.
Now to work out what guage 70mm°
Cable is....
00 guage cable is 67mm° according to Google....

Reactions: Yeti's Beast

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
10,055 Posts
Thanks.
Now to work out what guage 70mm°
Cable is....
00 guage cable is 67mm° according to Google....
Dunno
We had it at work already made up with lugs on both ends so I used it lol
It was a decent thickness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 21 Posts