Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, im looking for a sand anchor, and im unsure of which i should go for,
or should i say, which style.

Im a keen surf fisherman, and im gearing up my 4by for that,
and an anchor is first on my list.

Thanks for any help in advance as always.

Cheers/ John

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
many people use a large boat sand anchor the cheap type are only around $60 and is quite large

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
TD42 - or if you're truckster 3.0 ;)

Seriously though i agree with the marine sand anchor idea. Better than paying for the ARB(or similar) badge on what is effectively the same thing...

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
I dont get it, why do you need an anchor if you are a surf fisherman?

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not think i could get away with a plough anchor or the like. well well well !!!

hey Tonka,just planning ahead thats all..
my 4by is mainly for beach tracks, fishing orientated 4wheelin.
thats the only 4wheelin i can see myself doing.
--decent shovel.
--exhaust jack after i get an anchor
-snatch strap.'
maybe even maxtrax type grid plastic thing.???
compressor.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Im the same little john.

I especially hate rigging up for others when all i want to do is fish

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
A while back a 4by mag tested a number of sand anchors. From memory the results were that they were next to useless. I'ld be leaning toward maxtrax or similar + shovel (winch and bury spare tyre if you are really stuck). I haven't done this myself, but a couple of old school guys I know carry old carpet - dig the wheels out a bit, lay the carpet and power out. Apparently works a treat.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
I haven't done this myself, but a couple of old school guys I know carry old carpet - dig the wheels out a bit, lay the carpet and power out. Apparently works a treat.
Hessan bags work well also.

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
A while back a 4by mag tested a number of sand anchors. From memory the results were that they were next to useless. I'ld be leaning toward maxtrax or similar + shovel (winch and bury spare tyre if you are really stuck). I haven't done this myself, but a couple of old school guys I know carry old carpet - dig the wheels out a bit, lay the carpet and power out. Apparently works a treat.
Hessan bags work well also.
so does shade cloth apparently

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had a near drowning experience in unfamiliar territory while on holidays.
Senario: slipped off the track above high water mark onto a sloping beach, ended up stuck 3m from the surf on a rising tide. Worst feeling ever, missus not happy! I got out on my own because i didn't panic - dropped to from 16 to 10psi and drove in reverse along the same wheel rutts i created.

Lesson: don't drive on a soft beach with the lowest psi - if i got stuck on 10psi i would now only have photos to proof i owned a Patrol. I also have a winch but never went down the path of trying beach anchors. If there is a good one out there i'd love to know about it though!

Tango173

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
I've tried out a Chinese made one (much like a sand anchor for a boat). On both dirt and sand dune.

Buried deep enough but still just pulled through the sand and dirt like a plough.

The Ground Grabber brand works well from all reports, a few comp guys use them or knock offs like them.

Im a keen surf fisherman, and im gearing up my 4by for that,
and an anchor is first on my list.

Thanks for any help in advance as always.

Cheers/ John
Where do you drive on the beach if you're in Vic?
If it's over here in SA you'd know about some of the beaches here. I'd try out any anchor you get on a sandhill first to make sure it holds before using it for the first time in anger when you're stuck on an incoming tide.
If the anchor will hold on a dune then it should work on a flatter beach but you dont want the cable to be pulling the nose of the 4wd downwards as it will try to bury the front wheels.
Better to use a spare wheel as a prop, run the cable over the top of the tyre so it's "lifting" the front.
9 times out of 10 though you can dig and deflate more and drive out. There's always a chance it wont work though depending on the situation.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
yeh ive read a lot of good reports on the groundgrabber or pullpal. worth a bit of coin though, train to figure out how to make one myself.

as for burring the spare wheel, its not as easy to do as it is to say

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Littlejohn Maxtrax are great, did similar to Tango173, 5min with shovel in with the maxtrax and out, had 3 wheels down to the chassis, will be buying another set when coin allows.

Sorry little off topic would be interested to see how well these anchors work in the real fine soft sand
is'nt there a sort of ground plate anchor that you fix in place with a couple of star pickets, seen it somewhere don't know if would work in the sand

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
or you could cable tie a few cut up milk crates together and make milk trax.

i always take 2 star posts with me, i havent had to use them yet, im trying to track down some of the huge tent pegs like off a circus tent, those things would have to take a bit of weight, but id always have someone in the drivers seat if it let go as i only have a hand winch.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts