Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading an article on a local news site, and it made me think about all of you lot with kids who live near the coast, and the fact it's now summer.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/girl-dodges-bullet-after-taking-home-deadly-blue-ring-octopus-ng-b881039989z

The gist is a young girl was collecting seashells and took them home, only to find one of them had an obscure resident; a blue ringed octopus. I'm not sure how far their range is around the coast, but if they exist in your area, have a chat to your kids when you go to the beach.

Their bite is almost painless, and they're very small, but they can be fatal to adults within minutes.

Take care and make sure your families are aware of these creatures.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,032 Posts
Good point. Haven't seen one in years, basically since I stopped rock fishing, used to see lots of them on the NSW coastline, they are more prevalent in the rockpools along the coast than anywhere else, they only get the 'blue rings' when they become exited, under normal circumstances they just look like a very small occy so yes, easy to mistake for something harmless.

·
Go The Knights and Blues
30,887 Posts
Got them here.

Near me there is a nice swimming spot in the lake which is very popular with parents with young kids.
(Some do, some Don't )But Little do they know that in those Rocky groyne walls are blue rings occys....
I see them most time I swim there..
If you swim around with ya snorkel and goggles on though you see them all the time hanging around the rocks..

As gee said they only go blue and agitated.
So leave them alone and they'll leave you alone..

As for seeing them at the beach goes, I've never seen them there. I've only seen them In the lake around the rocks

·
Go The Knights and Blues
30,887 Posts
We have another deadly critter in the lake here also..
It's called the razorfish...
But that's getting off topic..
A story for another time..

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,032 Posts
Got them here.

Near me there is a nice swimming spot in the lake which is very popular with parents with young kids.
(Some do, some Don't )But Little do they know that in those Rocky groyne walls are blue rings occys....
If you swim around with ya snorkel and goggles on though you see them all the time hanging around the rocks..

As for seeing them at the beach goes, I've never seen them there. I've only seen them In the lake around the rocks
I've never seen one on a beach in all my years of fishing around the coastline, but in the case mentioned there could be many circumstances, not saying it doesn't happen. The little buggers are not aggresive, leave them alone and they will leave you alone. Like anything else, education is the key.

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
They're in vic too. (North East coast ) again only ever seen them around the rocks. I've drummed it into my 2 sqirts about blue rings and blue bottles since they where old enough to understand.
Good timely reminder though , thanks

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,369 Posts
I picked up an abalone shell on a beach south coast nsw when I was a kid, little sucker was hiding in it, did give me a fair fright.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,032 Posts
Yeah we get 'em up here too although the Blue Ringed Octopus is the least of your worries in the water during summer in North Queensland.

This says it all, as some of my US colleagues have said to me over the years, Australia is full of small critters that can kill you quiickly:

Irukandji most venomous but box jellyfish kills faster. WITH venom 100 times more potent than a cobra and 1000 times more potent than a tarantula, the irukandji jellyfish is believed to be the most venomous creature in the world

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,618 Posts
I was just reading an article on a local news site, and it made me think about all of you lot with kids who live near the coast, and the fact it's now summer.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/girl-dodges-bullet-after-taking-home-deadly-blue-ring-octopus-ng-b881039989z

The gist is a young girl was collecting seashells and took them home, only to find one of them had an obscure resident; a blue ringed octopus. I'm not sure how far their range is around the coast, but if they exist in your area, have a chat to your kids when you go to the beach.

Their bite is almost painless, and they're very small, but they can be fatal to adults within minutes.

Take care and make sure your families are aware of these creatures.
When I was a kid my dad found one in Albany.

Guess it depends on the leeuwin current as to how far south they go.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,618 Posts
This says it all, as some of my US colleagues have said to me over the years, Australia is full of small critters that can kill you quiickly:

Irukandji most venomous but box jellyfish kills faster. WITH venom 100 times more potent than a cobra and 1000 times more potent than a tarantula, the irukandji jellyfish is believed to be the most venomous creature in the world
All the time I lived and worked overseas I told everyone that if it walks,crawls, swims of fly's in Australia it will probably kill you ...

Doing my bit to keep those pesky tourist away...

Attachments

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,000 Posts
Only blue ring I've ever seen was in a rock pool near Mahon's Pool at North Maroubra, Sydney - I was 13 but knew what it was.

Another thing to be wary of is stonefish. A few years back we found one in a popular swimming/fishing area about a metre from the shore, water only 20cm deep (Eurimbula NP near 1770/Agnes Water). Just lying there half buried in sand and looking like a bit of seaweed.

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
We got schooled on them by a Lifeguard when we was little. Trigg point or around the Blue hole? Whassat hole Lee? Anyhoo, it was around the rocks and a life saver dude showed us all and freaked us out about the kill deathly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
nissan
6,517 Posts
Make sure your kids know the dangers of collecting shells folks, and you’re aware of what to do if you come in contact with a blue ring occy.
It's not just the occys. Cone snails are the original inhabitants of many of our prettiest shells and they can inflict a fatal sting as well. A tour guide in the Whitsundays got a sting on the foot a couple of years back and he was in a deal of grief before the Qld Rescue chopper arrived. Very painful and potentially deadly. Be very careful when collecting shells that are under water.

·
Registered
nissan
2,589 Posts
Got them here.

Dads grandparents had a boat shed in nords wharf he reckons 1 night prawning they were scooping heaps up

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Go The Knights and Blues
30,887 Posts
Dads grandparents had a boat shed in nords wharf he reckons 1 night prawning they were scooping heaps up

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Must of been in the breeding season..
They're more active then for obvious reasons...
Yep plenty of them in the lake here that's for sure..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts