Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

Does anyone run beadlocks for general driving aswel as there play set? Do you find any differences in handling or just general use? What are the major reasons for being illegal on-road?

cheers for your feedback

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Depends on which beadlocks your using?

Internal? 3rd best
Mechanical welded? Worst
Mechanical factory steel? 2nd best
Mechanical factory alloy? Best

Any modified wheel that is modified after factory is illegal no welding or drilling allowed.

·
Registered
Nissan
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the mechanical factory steel, just wondering how they would go on-road...

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
I have Allied steel ones with 33" claws. I did an 18000km trip last year with them. Balance well, no shakes, very very happy with them.

I considered the allied alloys, but they are the same weight because of how thick the alloy has to be to get the appropriate strength, and the alloys (purely personal taste) are ugly, and I couldn't see any reason to spend an extra 100 or so clams (a lot over 6 rims) and I've never regretted it.

As long as you periodically tighten the bolts, especially the first few thousand kms, you shouldn't have any problems, and you have the peace of mind of being able to deflate to any pressure you see fit for any circumstance.

I have no idea at all why they would be illegal, given they are far safer to drive on at lower pressures. I'd be interested if anyone knows the reason?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Not 100% on the reason myself Leethal, other then what has been stated by Sim79 and that any modification to a rim i.e. welding the rings on is a no no.

After market bought Beadlocked rims are manufactured that way so one would hope that gets you pass the modification part, but I do remember once being told they don't allow any mechanical Beadlocked rim on road due to the rapid deflation of the tyre if they were fitted incorrectly or failed, could result in a nasty accident I guess at high speed ??. Don't know if its a wives tale or not but I have never seen a beadlock fail personally, plenty of damaged rims, beadlock's and staked tyres all of which you only encounter off road.

·
nissan
6,273 Posts
Driven both factory alloy beadlocks and factory steel beadlocks on the road for a while and they both drive fine, no shakes / wobbles, long as you got some good quality tyres.

legal sie of things is a funny one, from what i heard it has something to do with the way the tyres are clamped to the rim can cause tyre deformation or some bull****. Legalities never been much of a worry of mine, so many imitation "fake lock" style rims around these days they don't look out of place at all, unless you paint the rings fluro green or hot pink like some blokes.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
...so many imitation "fake lock" style rims around these days they don't look out of place at all, unless you paint the rings fluro green or hot pink like some blokes.
Hit the nail on the head here I reckon.

Not only have I left mine plain black but after washing car I give the bolt heads a squirt of black paint, takes about five seconds a rim coz I'm such a pro painter ;-)

They look very plain for this reason, and as for legalities as Bogger said the factory ones are manufactured that way so surely they are built to a standard.

I reckon a non locked tyre will deflate quicker when you have tyres at 14 psi and turn too sharp.....

·
Registered
Nissan
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheers for the feedback guys, might give them a go...

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Legalities is probably because of ADRs, one ADR is that the rims must be of the safety type and have a safety bead in the rim, when using beadlocks you don't use the safety bead.
Ah, yep you could be on to it there Tee.

Out of interest, do split rims comply in that context? They must do I suppose, but can't say I'm that familiar with them.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
I reckon a non locked tyre will deflate quicker when you have tyres at 14 psi and turn too sharp.....
No Leethal thats not the point I was making from what I was told, pretty much what Tee has said along the same lines. I flog along at high speed (60/80km) on tight bush tracks with sharp turns at 8psi and have all the confidence the beadlock will hold the tyre.

Like Tee stated, the tyre is not hard up against the bead of the rim and is bolted on with Beadlock, so if at 35psi and doing 110km down the highway and for some reason the beadlock loosens up and you have rapid tyre deflation it could be nasty. Once again only what I was told second hand.

Agree also Jamie there are a few toss pots getting about with flash beadlocks because they "look cool", personally Im not a fan of the looks its the practical application of them is the sole reason to run them. They fill with mud behind the beadlock, you need to check the tension of bolts periodically they just require more maintenance full stop over standard rims.

Leethal I own a set of the Allied Alloy Beadlock and would have to agree there not really the best looking rim but they are 16" and for me I like a larger side wall to have the extra rubber for a longer foot print as opposed to 17" rims and then the real toss pots running 18" to 22" rims on an off road vehicle WTF ????.

Personally to the OP if your looking to run these on the road I don't recommend it, use them for there intended purpose and have a second set of rims tyres for the road.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Good points there Bogger.

I'm inclined to agree, not too sure I'd run them on a daily due to the maintenance, and over here it's hard to find a tyre shop that even knows what they are so you have to fit them yourself haha! And yep the maintenance is a pain in the bum.

In my case it's not my daily, I have a small sedan for that, I could count on both hands the amount of times a year I drive my patrol. When I do, it's holidays or weekend camping trips or whatever, and a quick round with the cordless rattle gun is as much a part of pre or post trip maintenance as changing oil and greasing tail shafts, so I'm not bothered, but I think it would piss me off 52 times a year!

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Holy chit!

Maybe that's why they're illegal. The average joe wouldn't check the bolts too often...

·
Registered
Nissan
500 Posts
Probably a little dangerous to motorbike riders as a dozen bolt heads start pinging into them like a bunch of angry wasps while hooting along the freeway at 110 kmh.

·
Registered
nissan
1,426 Posts
Reactions: preacher and A4B
1 - 20 of 20 Posts