Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there, I am doing an engine conversion in the GU. Finding a bell housing for a gu TD42T is very difficult, no one has one :confused: ( or does someone on here :p) Has anyone modified the bellhousing on the back of the ZD30 to mount up to the TD42T. Any suggestions. One other question. I am looking for a complete set of engine mounts from the brackets which weld onto the rails right thru to the bracket which bolts onto the side of the motor. Anyone wrecking a GUTD42T.? I have spoken to nissan about this but the parts are to come out of Japan and with all the trouble thay are having with their natural disasters a 6 month wait is possibly on the cards. :rolleyes: Many thanks. Stu.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Im guessing hes talking Manual here?

He is trying to find a bellhousing to bolt upto the RS5R50B box that is from his ZD to bolt upto his TD42T motor.
Its probably easier to buy a 4.2 box with bellhousing and everything on it.

Never looked at the internal ratios between the 2 either. I know I've seen them listed somewhere. are they the same?

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
I'd agree that its easier, he just asked for the bellhousing.

Looking at Nissan fast the RS5R50B box is the same from the TB45E, TB48DE, TD42T, TD42TI & the ZD.

They appear to have the same internals from my understanding, apart form some minor up grades throughout the years. I will look into it further.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Ok, from the Service manual & Nissan fast.

Ratios.
Gear Box ratios.jpg

And the ZD30 box from Nissan Fast.
ZD30 gear box.jpg

And the TD42 box from Nissan Fast.
TD42 gear box.jpg

They are the same box, They are the same ratios and the ZD has a spacer for the bell housing.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome response guys. Been out all day on the hunt. Finally found most of the parts I was looking for. Got a GU TD42 bell housing, got a complete set of engine mounts ( and part of the original rails, time to get the grinder out) pedal assembly ect. once the motor is out on the weekend I will start to post a thread with the conversion underway. I guess I can nearly answer my own question now. You can adapt a ZD30 bell housing but it is a mega stuff around. The gearbox is the same in TD's TB's ZD's ( right on the mark paul.helm ) just a few small changes in the model progressions. Thankyou for all the schematics with part numbers people, but I also went out and bought a good quality service manual from nissan which has answered alot of my questions. I guess the next big thing to overcome will be the power steering pump and possibly the a/c compressor as these have the 1 inch belt assembly and the power steering pump looks to be intergrated into the vacume pump assembly of the ZD30. Great another can of worms. Once again many thanks to all who contributed. Lets see what we come up with next. Stu.

·
united fuel injection
Nissan
2,633 Posts
Awesome response guys. Been out all day on the hunt. Finally found most of the parts I was looking for. Got a GU TD42 bell housing, got a complete set of engine mounts ( and part of the original rails, time to get the grinder out) pedal assembly ect. once the motor is out on the weekend I will start to post a thread with the conversion underway. I guess I can nearly answer my own question now. You can adapt a ZD30 bell housing but it is a mega stuff around. The gearbox is the same in TD's TB's ZD's ( right on the mark paul.helm ) just a few small changes in the model progressions. Thankyou for all the schematics with part numbers people, but I also went out and bought a good quality service manual from nissan which has answered alot of my questions. I guess the next big thing to overcome will be the power steering pump and possibly the a/c compressor as these have the 1 inch belt assembly and the power steering pump looks to be intergrated into the vacume pump assembly of the ZD30. Great another can of worms. Once again many thanks to all who contributed. Lets see what we come up with next. Stu.
All you need to do is remove the aluminium spacer, fit up the sandwich plate from the TD42 and drill/tap the three starter motor bolts.

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
I have just done the same. Bell house is the same apart from the 3 starter motor holes. Just loose the adapter/spacer.

Cheers
Dane

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
Gday Fellas....I am just undertaking this process as well......

Did you or do you know if you have to change diff ratios ? I am hoping to keep my lockers etc... and was hoping to keep my diffs intact.

I have posted a new thread but I just read through this one and though you guys may have some advice.

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
From what I have been told elsewhere on this forum, running 35" on ZD30 axles with a 50B gearbox with af TD42 should bring the ratio close to "TD42 stock ratio with stock 31".
But I will let you know as soon as my project has taken the first test drive some time in the near future.

Dane

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you need any help mate, PM me. I did the conversion 6months ago and i am a plant mechanic by trade.

Trust me, you've only scratched the surface!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
620 Posts
If you need any help mate, PM me. I did the conversion 6months ago and i am a plant mechanic by trade.

Trust me, you've only scratched the surface!
Would you be able to post here for every one to see rather than pm.
I also would like to know what is involved in doing the conversion and what kind of obstacles you have come across and what needed to be modified or swapped over to make things work. You don't have to go to real detail just enough info to give us all an idea on what's involved and what we are up for.
As for me Im planing on converting tb45(petrol) to td42(diesel) yes I know there is difference in fuel system and ect, Im also interested I'm what else I'm up for in the conversion process.

Cheers
Stan

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
7 Posts
Standard zd30 running gear, just replaced engine TD42T
When i did my conversion and got it engineered the speedo
was out by 3 kph . had BFG's 305/70R16 Muddies on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts