Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Simpsons 50th, GU Patrol 2012
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My belt slips a little when i first start the car when the revs go over about 1500, for about 5 mins of driving, after that its all good.
i have replaced the tensioner pulley and belt (genuine) only about 2 weeks ago, before replacement it was squealing the whole time so obviously its heaps better but not right.
ive checked all the other pulleys and they seem fine, as in when it happens the volts do not vary, or turn ac on and off to see if there is a difference, has anyone had this issue?
TIA.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,667 Posts
Hey all,

My belt slips a little when i first start the car when the revs go over about 1500, for about 5 mins of driving, after that its all good.
i have replaced the tensioner pulley and belt (genuine) only about 2 weeks ago, before replacement it was squealing the whole time so obviously its heaps better but not right.
ive checked all the other pulleys and they seem fine, as in when it happens the volts do not vary, or turn ac on and off to see if there is a difference, has anyone had this issue?
TIA.
Did you clean the pulleys? Hopefully you didn't use belt grip on the old belt. I would give everything there a good clean out.

·
Registered
nissan
153 Posts
Make sure you haven’t overtightened the tensioner pivot bolt. 68-77Nm is the correct torque range. Have you got the correct belts for a CRD?, pretty sure the Di ones are a few mm longer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea mate, they should be correct i got them from Nissan, i also torqued it to 72nm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never even heard of belt grip, so thats defiantly a no haha.
everything is also clean, i gave the engine bay a full wash with a sponge and brush then cleaned all the pulleys and sprayed lube on all the moving parts so shes pretty much spotless. and the tensioner pulley is brand new so its fine.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,667 Posts
I have never even heard of belt grip, so thats defiantly a no haha.
everything is also clean, i gave the engine bay a full wash with a sponge and brush then cleaned all the pulleys and sprayed lube on all the moving parts so shes pretty much spotless. and the tensioner pulley is brand new so its fine.
Hope none of that lube found its way to the belt, if all is new and clean belt should not slip. Could it be either the aircon pulley or alt pulley itself, do you have the non reversible style alt pulley?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope none of that lube found its way to the belt, if all is new and clean belt should not slip. Could it be either the aircon pulley or alt pulley itself, do you have the non reversible style alt pulley?
the lube definitely didn't reach the belt cause i did the back of the pulleys, and i haven't actually checked if its reversible or not.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,667 Posts
the lube definitely didn't reach the belt cause i did the back of the pulleys, and i haven't actually checked if its reversible or not.
Some Alternators had a 'sprag' bearing in the pulley these could at times become noisy. When I replaced my Alt I did it with a solid pulley drive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some Alternators had a 'sprag' bearing in the pulley these could at times become noisy. When I replaced my Alt I did it with a solid pulley drive.
i will have to have a look into it, thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.