Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Bens td42t gu

26K views 135 replies 28 participants last post by  BeNos 
#1 ·
Well. I've finally found the time to start building my new truck. Nothing out of the ordinary at the moment. Bought cheap as a blown gu 2.8. Reasonably straight cept for a huge dent in the back. Not fussed. Good excuse to dual cab it.
Anyway. Started by removing 2.8 gearbox and transfer. Bought another box but realised at a later date that the extension housing was different and missing. Sp chased up extension housing and used 2.8 transfer and gq 4.2 cross member. When fitting transfer case found that the little drip tray type thing on transfer fouls on gearbox. So had to trim that off. All new seals the gearbox and transfer. Just getting flywheel machined tomorrow and then will fit ufi clutch to the turd and throw in the hole. Then onto modifying engine mount. Bout all I've done at the moment.

#6 ·
grrrrr had the engine in today. bloody dowel holes on the box were blocked with **** and to late at night to fix and sit back in so will try again tomorrow. just wouldnt quite pull in.
also found the max speed rods manifold with td05 and dump puts the dump pipe way into the heater hoses. so the highmount manifold will have to go. propably end up with just a dts manifold or genuine one if i can find one for the right price haha. another bloody cost to add to the list though haha.
ps will ad some pics in coming days. been fairly slack so far

#8 ·
well got a bit of stuff done on the conversion today.
removed and modified the rhs engine mount. needed to be moved 40mm so i modded the engine side of the mount. was easy enough and came up a treat i reckon. pics will come pretty soon of that.
also modified the ac compressor bracket. thought i was on a winner with that one and it was the same but pulley on compressor sat to far forward. so just elongated the holes for the mounting bracket and moved it back about 6mm seemed to come up ok.
also started on modifying the exhaust as im going from high mount back to low mount. so cut and shut dump pipe and started playing with the pipe to behind the gearbox. from there back i need to make it as my old exhaust will be a little short for the new lwb haha.
been good though as its given me a chance to play with my tig welder:D. as my mig reg broke:(
also started on wiring. so far seems simple enough. just stripped the conduit off the harness fro the fuse box. so far starter solenoid wire is the same, oil pressure switch is the same, glow plug wire will need shortening and once my manual shows up hopefully will see what the glow plug control module works with. as i dont want the after glow system and i dont want the light to flash. also found what im pretty sure is the coolant temp sensor is so just need to extend that one a bit.
all the wiring the the alt and ac is the same and no mods should be needed. then just to sort the harness thru the middle to the injector pump. most of that will be made redundant but need power to fuel pump and tacho. so will play with that next week.

#9 ·
here is some pics of the engine mount mod
as you can see just needs to move. and this should be strong enough. fairly easy done with a bit of 6mm plate. piece added was like 75x70mm or something and a strip about 25mm wide around the edge around 140mm long.

Attachments

#11 ·
just a couple of random pics of getting everything ready.
ufi clutch on and lined up.
old turbo setup is gone.
also i dont like photos. in case you didnt realise

Attachments

#13 ·
a few pics of dropping the big turd into the hole. actually didnt stay in that night though. bloody dowel holes in the bellhousing were full of rust. so wouldnt pull up tight. came back out that night and went in the next night. also note dont think you can see it but i slazzed up the bellhousing so it should be waterproof. hopefully prolong the life of the ufi clutch as they dont come cheap.

Attachments

#20 ·
this seemed a hell of a lot easier than moving the engine mount itself. and considering i just sat the engine in and once it was in it was in seemed easier than putting it in. tacking the new mount into place and then removing the engine again to weld it up. this way just sat it in there. and a couple of days later just removed the mount and modified it. was pretty easy.

#21 ·
so had a but more of a fiddle with a trol today. Done a bit of match porting with the turbo exhaust housing so the opening is a bit closer in size to the turbo manifold. had to take a fair bit out of each end. sorry not before pics forgot all about it. but came up pretty good i reckon. also a slight tidy up of the turbo manifold but it was pretty sweet already.
pulled the sump off so i can weld a new turbo return line fitting in. going to weld a bung in then screw a 45degree 5/8" fitting into it. should work pretty sweet i reckon. but couldnt weld it in tonight as my welder power is running off off peak and cuts out just after 5 haha
also removed the main engine harness and modified to suit. will fit it tomorrow but once done will do a fairly complete rundown of what needs modifying and what doesnt. but so far its pretty simple.
anyway here is a few pics.

Attachments

#22 ·
double post.
whilst im at it can anyone confirm that the coolant temp sender and switch on the rd28 are on the head or in the block? just i didnt remove the engine and am unsure. but i know where the head is and if they are i can pinch the above sensors off it for free:)

#24 ·
haha no they didnt. and you are most certainly correct. it is a deutsch plug cat spec to be specific. its for the gearbox harness. i cut the harness and put the plug in cause its heaps easier when removing engine or box to just unplug it.
and yeah i no that feeling. only reason im so keen is cause i wanna go bloody camping again haha.

#25 ·
well no new pics. havent done anything worth getting the camera out for.
but just been tidying up a few of the little bits and pieces that you can easily overlook at face value.
the steering cooler piping was never going to work with the td42 pump and trying to bend it only kinds the chit out of it. so i replaced the gu setup inc the front cooler with the gq setup. worked fine in the gq and nothing was different. was running gu steering box and pump anyway. so sorted that and plumbed up. just gotta get some fittings to convert high pressure hose to jic and decent hose and fittings. so that should be sorted by the end of the week.
fitted earth strap to engine and body. took a slight mod. straighten the cable lug out a touch and drill it out to 8mm instead of six and it fits sweet into one of the bolts for the ip cover plate.
mounted the vacuum tank, using the gq one as the gu one wouldnt work. just gotta mod the pipe across the fire wall and run some hose for that. then that will be all sweet.
still tossing up weather to use original radiator or purchase a new one. leaning toward new one but bank account definitely says no at the moment. will give it a week to decide.
started to fit intercooler and work out how im going to mount and plumb it all up.
in the process of ordering all the alloy pipework for that and the snorkel and airbox stuff. cost a pretty penny that chit jeez. but do it once and do it right i guess
its getting pretty close to being able to hit the key. cannot wait. been a fairly slow conversion as i had to remodify so much as alot of it is custom work.
a straight forward swap with no turbo work, no cooler and standard airboxes would be a piece of cake really. wiring so far is a sinch. engine mount a piece of cake.
come on start up haha

#26 ·
no real progress happening. but been chasing materials for various parts of the build.
finally chased up a banjo bolt for the clutch slave. nfi what happened to the other one but it will show up once done for sure.
also got some new fittings to convert the power steering from banjo fittings to jic fittings. just got to work out what size hose to use. thinking 3/8" but mayeb 1/4" will do. anyone with experience here would be great,
also picked up some 2mm alloy sheet and few other bits and pieces to start making my airbox.
ordered in all the alloy elbows and silicone to make cooler piping and snorkel.
progress has been slow the last few days and will be slow the next few as just had the dentist butcher out a couple of wisdom teeth. so wont be doing much.

#29 ·
Na gearbox Is different. Transfer case is the same but a little modifying is required. And I used a gq td42 gearbox crossmemer as the rd one puts the engine to far back. The gearbox mounts (the rubber parts) are the same though. Also the rd gearbox will not bolt up to the td block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.