Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

The title says it all,

I just got my 2015 4.8 GU, and as the dealer is using 20w-50 viscosity mineral oil (Total:Quartz Brand) which is only good for about 5,000kms in our climate,

I was wondering what would be the best to use as a 10,000km's oil.

Fuchs:Titan 5w-40?
Castrol Syntech 5w-40?
Mobil1 0w-40? (too expensive)

·
Registered
nissan
60 Posts
If your vehicle is brand new, isn't that the run in oil used for the first 5,000kms, then they switch to a heavy oil ? That is what happened with ours when it was new and now it only gets changed every 10,000kms. Always been serviced at the dealer we bought it.

Have you had a chat to the dealer about it ?

Regards :)

·
Registered
nissan
198 Posts
pretty sure the 4.8's use a thinner oil like 7.5w-30 or 5w-30. whats the air temp where you live? id be using synthetic oil too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason i do not want to change every 5000 is that it will be an oil change every single month and from what i learned lately that a 20w-50 mineral oil results in higher fuel consumption and a shorter engine life compared to say a 5w-40 synthetic oil.

The owners manual recommends a 5w-30 oil, however here in Kuwait the summer heat goes up to 54C (130 Fahrenheit) and i think a 5w-40 weight would give me better viscosity in the heat??

Your opinions are highly regarded.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
factory filled is 5w30 total Elf semi sythtic. When I was in Abu Dhabi with my 4.8 many years ago I ran 20W50 and clocked up 350 thousand K's and never put a spanner on the old girl. I was doing 10K oil changes.

In Africa were also using 20W50 and I think we get 15K out of them at times.

In my 4.8's in the Philippines im running 5W40 Mobil delvac 1 with cold type plugs. Im just changing it when it starts to go off as it sits for 6 months of the year. But 10K wouldn't be issue and I highly recommended Mobil delvac 1 after the first service. My 2012 has just clocked up 85K on this oil and its still tip top on all the OBDII checks.

You should also change your plugs to cold type for the 4.8 due to highway use and fuel. Use part number 22401-5M016 for Nissan or NGK PLFR6A-11. It help in the desert during the summer and on the long highways. New 4.8's are coming only with standard plugs and the latest update is to fit the above part number after the first service. You may want to ask if yours is already changed or is has come already fitted.

Have you noticed the new 4.8's are alot more clean in the exhaust note until you hit 2200 to 3200 RPM and then again at 4000 RPM and its like a vortex of air from jet engine. The drone of the new 4.8 at tick over at 750 resonates around our sub division. They made a change to exhaust note but I have to find out if the new rear angle of the rear pipe or some other angle in the pipe. I think it sounds great all thou a little to loud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts