Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have just bought my 2nd GQ and am looking this time round to do a lot more research. I am looking for more of a weekend weapon than a tourer.

I want to go about a 5"/6" suspention lift but am having trouble finding a good scource to compare these kits e.g. an articulation ramp comp between tough dog, snake racing and superior eng. All there web sites give basic information but i want to know travel of shocks and what kind of flex can be expected from the bolt in kits.

Also all the kits are now running the tough dog 9 way adjustables are they the ducks nuts these days ? Or are bilstein's the way to go. Have been looking at the american sites and they offer heaps of information on travel and all the rest.

Any users pics of there rigs at full stretch with any of the above mentioned kits or any others i have missed would be awesome. :bananaro:

Sorry about the novel, cheers Bob

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Why do you need 5 or 6 inch lift kit? What size tyre will you be running?

·
Registered
93 Posts
go ranchos mate they are the ****, tough dogs dont have as much extension in the shocks as rancho, i am about to change from tough dog to rancho, tough dog a very strong but and can cop a pretty fair hiding, i run 35s and only 4 inch spring lift and 2 inch cab lift, i cant wait for more RANCHO flex

·
Registered
nissan
294 Posts
mq_camo said:
go ranchos mate they are the ****, tough dogs dont have as much extension in the shocks as rancho, i am about to change from tough dog to rancho, tough dog a very strong but and can cop a pretty fair hiding, i run 35s and only 4 inch spring lift and 2 inch cab lift, i cant wait for more RANCHO flex
Totally disagree had a GQ with ranchos and now have the TD's. Ranchos are good for a Suzuki or jeep but they are to small and dodn't like the weight of the big/heavier rigs. and if ya want more travel buy 5" shocks for 4" springs But when ya go 5" lift ya front tailshaft will rub the crossmember, ya will have to trim up gaurds as the futher down one tyre goes means the futher up it will go on the other side. I also have 4" lift and 2" body lift with 35s and this is a excellent package that Iam more than impressed with. Rancho wont last as long as the TD's

·
Registered
151 Posts
Im running EFS 4 inch with spacers, for some reason i sit just as high as some other cars with 5 - 6 inch lifts, anyway, my mate has 5 inch efs lift and the flex is pretty big outta that thing. walks really well and the efs shocks have a fair bit of length, all personal opinion though i guess, everyone will back different gear anyway so its up to you.

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
mq_camo said:
go ranchos mate they are the ****,
well your cred just went out the window at warp factor 21....

Articulation ramp figures are good for **** value, but then theres LOTS more important things than massive articulation in a 4wd.

·
Registered
640 Posts
truckster said:
Articulation ramp figures are good for **** value, but then theres LOTS more important things than massive articulation in a 4wd.
^^^ what he said

IMO its more about stability and power transfer. Good proportionate travel is the key! :evil:

ag the truck i listed have a nice BALANCE. not too high but good PREDICTABLE travel....

·
Bush and Beach-Bum
nissan
622 Posts
Well, the problem with the patrol front end is, it needs a lot more to make it flex.
If you reverse up an obstacle you will see much more articulation in the front end.
I'm working on the front flex as well.

I run 5" flexy coils rear, long soft coils front, 6-7" lift Tough Dogs and drop boxes.

Superflex arm will be next for suspension upgrades.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
yeah i'll stick with the ranchos thanks mate, i've heard nothing about them, thats not to say the others aren't good it's just a personal preference.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
mq_camo said:
yeah i'll stick with the ranchos thanks mate, i've heard nothing about them, thats not to say the others aren't good it's just a personal preference.
mine **** emselves (3x 9000's and 1x 9x) 4 times with them being replaced 3 times under warranty, then they ended in the bin, just gave up.. many others tell the same.
but if ya happy with em, thats all that matters.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for all the info guys, especially with the ramp figures (DGR01) and pics. (Yom & AJ)

I know alot of guys are running 4" susp and 2" body but i want to get engineering certs for this rig and believe body lifts are frowned apon (at least in WA) and by going suspension i can keep the center of gravity down.

Not looking for rancho's have heard alot of average stories about them lately i think they are getting by on there name alone.

Does anyone in this forum have a X-link or 5 link in their front end ? have seen some unreal shots in magazines of this mod but unsure if it would turn the patrol into a pig on the tarmac

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,270 Posts
5 link in a patrol will never be quite right i reckon - the chassis just isn't designed for it (i believe there's more to suspension design than just whacking a few arms to an axle...). and if the authorities get upset with bodylifts i think they'll be having kittens if they see you convert a 3 link to a 5 link :p Same with the X link.

I'm sure DGR01 can brief you with the pros and cons of the 5link and X link conversions.

ps: how much are you willing to spend???
heres what i've done with my GQ. If i started fresh, I could make it do this with just over $1000
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa35/yombert/Random 4x4ing/yomtrying.jpg
thats a 3" lift with shocks to suit, superior's drop boxes, GU slotted bushings and a longer brake line with the rear swaybar disconnected (in cabin release lever) and as for the front, well, my old GQ never came with one...hehe ;). That is pretty much full axle movement at the front (And even though its going up hill you can see the weight of the car wants to move over to the rear wheel which is fully extended hence why it has pushed down hard on drivers side bumpstop forcing the passenger side of the axle down). There's actually enough travel in the axle/bushings/coil for the front shocks to be an inch longer but because I didn't measure it properly to begin with I've alrady spent the money and I can't be arsed spending more. I'm happy with it at the moment. It feels really stable and always seems to have its legs on the ground which is all i care about.

ps; if i were to be spending more money, i'd be spending it at superior engineering's doorstep as I am a bit of a fan of the super flex arm they now have. but i wont be spending that money, so this'll do. oh yeh, high chance of them having kittens at the superior super flex arm as well. :p

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
What is your budget for the suspension???
$6-10k? or $2-4k? (complete- fitted and engineered)
good kit with the * ALL* goods is going to cost you over $4k + fitting + engineering.
http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_33&products_id=3502

Then people can give you advice to match.

Rears work well on GQ's.. but it all comes at a cost.

Front can work too, but its even more expensive.

Heres some info:
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/phpBB2/ftopic117558.php&highlight=superior

--+--
Speak with Shane at 4wd suspension stuff on here.. Nobody has a bad word to say about his deals.
https://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Bobby Dazzla said:
by going suspension i can keep the center of gravity down.
Hows that work then ?

As all are saying, its all down to what you what to spend. Anything is possible, more so if you're a wizz with the tig, if not it gets expensive, very quickly. Continue with the research, set a budget and build to that.

Awesome pics Truckster !

·
Registered
640 Posts
As far as suspension goes its a bit of a hobby for me! designing and getting the best out of them is a real passion. The super-flex arms were designed with a few criteria in mind and they have exceeded my initial specs! I am always trying to design stuff for NISSANS which make them just that little bit better :cool:

IMO give shane (https://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/) a call or mick at superior (http://www.superiorengineering.com.a...oducts_id=3502) they are both nice an knowledgeable guys and will try and work out the best package for you. Mick is great to talk to as he has a nissan comp truck which doubles as a test rig, so we get to try different combos. ATM he runs a 'soft' 5" set of microalloy springs, which give ~4-5" lift superflex front arms and 'longarm' rear. Its fricken awesome fun to drive!! It drives offcamber stuff like no other nissan i have ever seen.. and climbs like a ....

(the ledge on the side is waaaay bigger than the 37" tire, and it drives it offcamber like nothing.)

we have really tried to focus on 'balance' and if you can speak to the guys running the superflex arms and get there opinions on how they 'feel' the car drives. I am still working on getting a shock package SPECIFICALLY designed for nissans, I (like many) are really sick of all these BS shock gurus pedling any old crap! :mad: I would rather have spent a few hundred more to get a shock that i will have forever!! and when i want to rebuild it or change valving on it , its only going to cost me under $100. ATM its just time :(

Anyways keep researching mate! there are a lot of guys that will help, and its worth getting opinions from the ones that know! If there are any really weird or specific geometry Q's you have i will try and help. But work out a realistic budget and i am sure you will find something.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Tracteur Tom said:
Awesome pics Truckster !
yea its pretty impressive, but that sort of artic isnt going to gain you anything.. there would be no weight on the tire to give you grip.. **** value it gets 100/100!

DGR01 said:
The super-flex arms were designed with a few criteria in mind and they have exceeded my initial specs! .
give me some :( ;)

Edit: as i said sky is the limit with suspension
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/phpBB2/ftopic157243.php
PRICE AND PRICE CONDITIONS:
$11,000.00 plus freight for complete package. Do not want to seperate.

·
Registered
640 Posts
truckster said:
give me some :( ;)

Edit: as i said sky is the limit with suspension
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/phpBB2/ftopic157243.php
PRICE AND PRICE CONDITIONS:
$11,000.00 plus freight for complete package. Do not want to seperate.
sorry mate even i don't have a set on my truck ATM (tow rig anyway :()

thats some nice gear(for sale), BUT 10" travel front shocks ------ WTF. the superflex arms easily eat up 14" of travel. Robby marshals winch truck has a set of 12"x2.5" smoothies in his only cus wizard underestimated the front arms!! :doh:. We are getting mick to make us some of his new 'comp style' ones with 80series style bushed ends for our new race truck, cant wait :bowdown: we have some 18" travel FOA coilovers and 4"x2.5" air bumps as well to take full advantage of these babies :cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts