Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question for the crew. My barwork over the last 6 years has copped a bit of a hammering. Just wondering (without going to powder coating) what is the best prime/paint to use?

I searched and Bad Juju recommended:
Bad Juju

Twit

Just get some semi-gloss self priming enamal - killrust or similar.
You can treat the forming rust first using ferropro rust converter.

Is this along the right lines?

·
Registered
nissan
1,193 Posts
I did my GU bars and flares (plastic) in cheap satin/semi gloss black paint, looks great, and you can just touch it up easy as when you add more scratches.

Have done the same for Bullbars & Towbars and wheels (other cars) all with great results, and if it comes off in 12 months (not that it does) it costs about $6 to do it again.:wink:

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
Do a search on here for Lic40 someone was saying that it was pretty awesome stuff and did not crack or flake after being painted onto a piece of tube and then being hammered numerous times.

Cheers,
Nic

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
I did my GU bars and flares (plastic) in cheap satin/semi gloss black paint, looks great, and you can just touch it up easy as when you add more scratches.

Have done the same for Bullbars & Towbars and wheels (other cars) all with great results, and if it comes off in 12 months (not that it does) it costs about $6 to do it again.:wink:
Here are some pics using cheap Saturn Black in a can from SuperCheap or Bunnings

Before

Rubbed back and modified

And with a couple of coats of paint

came up a treat i reckon. The paint i used on the Winch casing is "Hammertone Charcoal" in a spraycan.

Really easy to touch up too now ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
hey mate theres some paint called POR 15 alot of people use it on there chassis apparently it's hammer proof and sorta self leveling so can use a paint brush im thinking of using this stuff on mine.

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
the worst thing about pressure pack cans is in time it fades real bad.
but is good cause its cheap to redo and touch up. and its all mine is done in.
i do remember mic saying there is something that the likes of cat and them are using these days and is ultra chip resistant. but be buggered for the life of me if i know the name of it.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,248 Posts
I used cold gal first done a couple coats then a few coats gloss black

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I've done some research on the LIC 40 but one question ..... where the hell do you buy it from in Australia???

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey mate theres some paint called POR 15 alot of people use it on there chassis apparently it's hammer proof and sorta self leveling so can use a paint brush im thinking of using this stuff on mine.
I would not be using this stuff on the bullbar as I think you will find it is not UV stable. OK for undercar which doesnt see direct sunlight but not good anywhere else unless you plan to overcoat it with another paint.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
I still think powder coating is the easiest, just drop off they sand blast it it come back in mint condition for less than $150 easy.

I have all the spray painting gear but it all gets to hard in terms of setting up and preparation.

The paint suggest is however very good stuff if you can be bothered preparing. Or you could get it sand blasted then paint that takes out the preparation hassle.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks androxy will do

·
Registered
14 Posts
wattyl killrust is the way to go. I'm a painter by trade and we use it all the time. It's an epoxy enamel which after 7days cure time is extremely tough' it's uv stabilized, comes in gloss or matt and is widely available. Be sure to use a high build metal primer on any bare steel as this seals it off from any oxygen from starting any rusting again and use an etch primer for adhesion. When spraying though where overalls otherwise you'll feel like you've been dipped in honey.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Wattyl is crap to what it used to be and it's dearer now and lasts half as long, managed to find the agent in Tassie for LIC40 and will be going that way. $55 for 2 litres is cheaper than kill rust.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
We use the blood and guts from cute furry woodland creatures, cyclists and polish it to a nice sheen by running through flocks of endangered birds as we scare them from the fragile grasslands.

At least thats what the newspapers all say anyway..

x2 for the kilrust. use their primer too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts