Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU6
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I'm having a go at installing boost, egt and battery gauages to pillar pod..

I Can not fit anything through the existing firewall gromets due to mods already done,need to drill through 2 x 6mm holes for boost line and egt probe??

Where on the firewall do I do this. I am thinking hi on the drivers side, but would like more advice on this before I go punching holes through firewall, would I drill through the cabin or the engine bay?

Any pointers would be great

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
I just shoved mine through the big grommet where everything else goes through. Didnt think i would have room, but turns out i did.

Drills and engine bays were never going to be a good combination for me (Remember that episode of the simpsons when homer has the automatic hammer? Thats me...)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
570 Posts
I'm with dronus4x4... poke it through the big grommet that's already there.
My Truck has enough wire to hook up a small city already poking through the firewall, there was plenty of room to run the line to my boost gauge and a few more wires for switches etc.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU6
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys
I will give it another go.. just worried about bending the egt probe. Should I try one at a time or tape the whole lot up and push through??

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
I drilled through just near the foot rest.

Bad idea as it was double skinned in that spot so I could not use a cable gland to seal it all up properly.

Had to use rubber grommets and black mastic to seal up.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
Thanks guys
I will give it another go.. just worried about bending the egt probe. Should I try one at a time or tape the whole lot up and push through??
What's at the other end of the probe. Can't you feed the other end through ? Ie: feed some string or excess wire through from the cabin side into engine bay, tape egt wires to this wire or string..... Then pull string back into cabin bringing the wire(s) with it. This way the probe itself does not have to pass through the fire wall.

The best tool hor these sort of jobs is a steel coathanger. It's ridgid and thin enough to puncture the grommet but flexy enough to curve up from the engine bay to reach.

There is also a grommet or two in the passenger side which will be closer to your dump pipe for the probe ( often there are less wires through here as well making it a lil easier.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
570 Posts
POLAR BEAR is right... pull back your carpet / vinyl on the passenger side footwell, you can tape your wires to a bit of coat hanger, poke them through from the engine bay and they should pop through.

I did that last week running power cable from my second battery to run my amp.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Yeah mine is on the drivers side, i think i used a piece of 4mm wire that i was going to use for something else and shoved it though, taped the wire on it and pulled it through.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Even better than a coat hanger

Idea stolen from a sparky

when you change your windscreenwipers, normally there are two thin metal strips

take these out, and they are perfect for running through grommets as they are thin, strong and flelible!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts