Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Advice from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.

If I am looking for maximum torque as low in the rev range as possible without changing turbo's is it better to have my pipework from the turbo to intake manifold the same size as the turbo pressure side outlet or the size of the intake manifold bend which is much bigger?

I guess if I run a top mount intercooler then the in and out pipes of the intercooler should be whatever size is best from the question above also wouldn't it?

And I guess does it make much difference/ is it worth playing with?

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi All,

Advice from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.

If I am looking for maximum torque as low in the rev range as possible without changing turbo's is it better to have my pipework from the turbo to intake manifold the same size as the turbo pressure side outlet or the size of the intake manifold bend which is much bigger?

I guess if I run a top mount intercooler then the in and out pipes of the intercooler should be whatever size is best from the question above also wouldn't it?

And I guess does it make much difference/ is it worth playing with?

Regards

Alan
Surely someone out there knows whether smaller turbo outlet sized pipe to the manifold or intercooler or going big straight from the turbo outlet is better for low down torque?

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Here it goes then.

When gas is hot, it is far less dense and flows much better through any pipe work.
So its fine to have 2"-2.5" Pipework on the hot side pre intercooler.

Once the gas is cool, it is more dense and doesnt want to flow anywhere near as well. The secret to getting around this is to use a larger pipe to move a greater volume with lower resistance. That is why people generally like to use 2.5"-3" on the cold post intercooler side.

The difference comes down to how much air the setup is flowing, and how much you are chasing out of it.
If you are after every last hp then obviously following the basic laws of physics is going to be ideal..

If you have a run of the mill setup, then stick with 2" hot side and 2.5" cold side like most do.

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here it goes then.

When gas is hot, it is far less dense and flows much better through any pipe work.
So its fine to have 2"-2.5" Pipework on the hot side pre intercooler.

Once the gas is cool, it is more dense and doesnt want to flow anywhere near as well. The secret to getting around this is to use a larger pipe to move a greater volume with lower resistance. That is why people generally like to use 2.5"-3" on the cold post intercooler side.

The difference comes down to how much air the setup is flowing, and how much you are chasing out of it.
If you are after every last hp then obviously following the basic laws of physics is going to be ideal..

If you have a run of the mill setup, then stick with 2" hot side and 2.5" cold side like most do.
Thanks Heaps for that info.

Ive got 2.5" pipework directly from the HT18 to 2.5" cooler inlet and 2.5" out of the cooler into 2.5" customised intake manifold inlet so i will just leave it as it is.

Began to panic a little, well maybe not panic but wonder after somone told me that setup would just make the system more laggy.

I have to say DieselTuner your always so helpful and forthcoming with info to everyone and i as others have said on many occassions im sure it is greatly appreciated.

One of these days i will end up scraping enough money together to purchase one of your TD05's as an upgrade.

Until then I just want to make what ive got work as well as it can.

Regards

Alscol71

1 - 5 of 5 Posts