Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ppl,

Looking to do a tune up and wondering if anyone has any opinions on brands or types etc to get the old girl running at best possible performance? Straight petrol.

Cheers!

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
Have you changed the plugs and leads in a TB42e before?
Your in for a hellova lot of fun if you havent.
One job i WONT be doing ever again - will be paying some other poor sucka to do it next time.

Dont think you can go wrong with any of the major brands.

·
Registered
nissan
386 Posts
ICE ignition leads, You will pay for them but you will only need to do it once.

Plugs? take your pick but if your looking for the best then go for the SPLITFIRE brand.

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,580 Posts
What's the thoughts on iridium / platinum plugs? Being a right PITA to change on the 'e, the 100000k life looks appealing?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
What's the thoughts on iridium / platinum plugs? Being a right PITA to change on the 'e, the 100000k life looks appealing?
My Toyota Cressida has a sticker saying use only platinum sparks. They aren't that expensive and I've never had a problem. Changed once and it's done 280 000 kms and when I take it to Toyota they can't believe how smooth it is. Never used in patrol. I wonder??
They do suck to change in patrol. :headwall:

·
Registered
368 Posts
easiest way to change no.6 plug (and all the rest) in a patrol is with a 3/8 drive socket and wobble bar set
.ive been using NGK plugs in my mav and them seem to be burning well, but saying that I change them every 10K.At my work we use Bosch plugs with no issues, but i'd stay away from champion or autolite plugs, have a habit of cracking the ceramic and arcing out the side of the plug.
Platinum plugs are ok if you set the gap right.They dont do anything for performance, theyre designed to make service intervals longer.
Lead wise, ive found Eagle leads to be one of the best, and readily available in 8.0 or 9.0mm over the counter.Try to steer clear of cheaper leads as they seperate from the cord internally and are usually a high resistance straight out the box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts