Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just wondering what everyone thinks is the best steering damper option.

Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Return to Center RTC

The 2 GQ's and the current 2008 GU have all had Top Dog RTC'S including my Disco that I had. If you tow heavy loads they take the front shimmy out, including on the disco.

Never had any steering failures from fitting them. They are a brilliant piece of gear for less than $200

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Return to centre dampers are not really necessary unless:
1)you run bloody big tyres
2) your steering/suspension is set up incorrectly.
I run 35s on 16x8s with a standard damper, no shimmy,no snatching, no worries.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry should have said. My patrol only has 2'' lift and 265/75/16 tyres, will probably run 33s in the near future.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have used Ridepros on all my trucks. just got rid of my RTC that came with the truck and put on a Ridepro.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
ffs RTC's are sheit, they invariably (4way etc use inferior seals/bore) and rely on the outer spring to "Correct"(hide) the issues with front suspension geometry and setup.

If everythings hunky dory on the front ie bushes .... BUSHES ... and castor then a big bore steering damper from any one of the major manufacturers will do the job.

IMHO RTC's just hide front end probs for the SHORT term.

BTW the patrol GU series power steering pump dont like RTC's .. just a tip.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
ffs RTC's are sheit, they invariably (4way etc use inferior seals/bore) and rely on the outer spring to "Correct"(hide) the issues with front suspension geometry and setup.

If everythings hunky dory on the front ie bushes .... BUSHES ... and castor then a big bore steering damper from any one of the major manufacturers will do the job.

IMHO RTC's just hide front end probs for the SHORT term.

BTW the patrol GU series power steering pump dont like RTC's .. just a tip.
X2
Had one on an 80 series and it last 1 week before it found it self in the bottom of the bin

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
from what ive heard efs extream dampers are up there with the best not sure about the rubber boot tho? would these hold up for long?

cheers

phil

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i got one a few years ago , only on for a couple of weeks before noticed it was stuffed, i had a factory front shockie sitting there with low kays , looked about the same length , it worked on angles wihout getting air mixed in anywhere so i figured i would chuck it in to see how it goes , been working fine ever since ,although i do notice it is a bit stiff if i try to turn super quick

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
ffs rtc's are sheit, they invariably (4way etc use inferior seals/bore) and rely on the outer spring to "correct"(hide) the issues with front suspension geometry and setup.

If everythings hunky dory on the front ie bushes .... Bushes ... And castor then a big bore steering damper from any one of the major manufacturers will do the job.

Imho rtc's just hide front end probs for the short term.

Btw the patrol gu series power steering pump dont like rtc's .. Just a tip.

x 3,
sort any probs you might have, and just put an ordinary dampner in.
Get on cambered roads and there a waste of time,
peices of crap!!!

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Had an RTC installed by Manell Motors in sydney and it fell off by Wollongong. More trouble than they are worth.:confused:

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,063 Posts
Well there you go. I would have thought that the RTC was the best option. Good thing I didn't buy one like I was going too.

My uncle has a stock 4.2GU and he was not totally happy with how it steered, and ARB (I think, it may have been TJM) sold him a RTC damper. They must think it is the go, or they make more profit out of them.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Well there you go. I would have thought that the RTC was the best option. Good thing I didn't buy one like I was going too.

My uncle has a stock 4.2GU and he was not totally happy with how it steered, and ARB (I think, it may have been TJM) sold him a RTC damper. They must think it is the go, or they make more profit out of them.
When you think about it, sticking a new steering damper on to cure a steering issue is not real flash. Bent or worn parts or alignment are the likely causes, would suggest.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
When you think about it, sticking a new steering damper on to cure a steering issue is not real flash. Bent or worn parts or alignment are the likely causes, would suggest.

one would think ...........

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Don't know what you guys are doing wrong with RTC

Each to their own.

My 2 x GQ's with them fitted did over 350k combined, 100k on the disco and 20k on the GU so far and mostly towing the van.

The front setups on all units were AOK. The 1998 2.8TD even had a caster kit fitted on the LHS. GU is fine with it. No failures at all with any of the 4 RTC units fitted.

Am I doing something right? I have never had any power steering problems with them.

·
Registered
nissan
11,120 Posts
The best would be a fox or kings damper but they are dear. I got an efs extreme damper and rate it pretty well. Fwiw I don't rate rtc dampers at all. Why would I want a spring to counteract every steering movement I make

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
The best would be a fox or kings damper but they are dear. I got an efs extreme damper and rate it pretty well. Fwiw I don't rate rtc dampers at all. Why would I want a spring to counteract every steering movement I make
Sorry to hijack but I'm thinking of getting the efs extreme to replace my standard dampner. I have no lift but intend on getting a 4-5 lift in the future, would it still be possible to use an aftermarket dampner and keep the same one for when the lift goes in or are some designed for lifts and others for standard height?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts