Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To protect my investments of late on my engine and new intercooler it makes sense to get a catch can. I've spent an hour reading mostly older threads and haven't really learned much other than some put fine filter elements in theirs and blocked and pressured their system and blew engine seals in crank etc

Checked parts listings, I'm interested in the best performance not best price, not interested to make one either Something I can buy and trust works.

Two main ones spoken of in earlier threads are HPD and Mann- Provent, HPD looks sweet but it's not so much looks that matter is it, does the HPD do the job well. Is there anything with new innovation.

Is there any consensus on the best can for TD42T Can anyone give any guidance on this that doesn't lead me on a wild goose chase?

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
provent 200. bout the only one worth looking at really. works a treat. i even modded the rocker cover to make most of the 1" in and outlets on the catch can. motor even runs ever so slightly better since fitting.

·
Registered
nissan
4,985 Posts
Genuine Provent 200 but do the 25mm fittings & hoses from rocker cover to inlet pipe.
Also recommend the enhanced rocker cover condenser mod. Since doing mine I’ve had no oil to empty from the Provent in the last 8000 kms and 6000 of those kms was pretty heavy towing.

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,153 Posts
The Provent 200 I fitted has been impressive, it fixed the blow by.
I used 16mm hose. With my low tune level that seems to be adequate.
Just install it properly! The catch can inlet should be higher than the rocker cover vent. I've also got the Provent outlet running 'uphill' to the induction hose.

Oddly enough the Provent is not filling with oil as I thought it would. Just running 16mm hoses 'uphill' seems to reduce the velocity of the oil vapour and it condenses then drains back along the top hose into the rocker cover. All I see is a bit of oil dampness inside the catch can, just a mist.
It could be, that any high quality catch can, properly installed, would do the job.

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
i think the biggest thing with most off the cheap catch cans is that they will supply a barb with a 5/16" tail but its usually threated into a 3/8" or 1/2" thread fitting so you end up with such a restriction that it causes all the issues most people associate with cheap catch cans. minimum 5/16" threads and hose will be ok for moderate tune but full blown ive noticed a difference between factory setup and when i went to 1" hose and fittings.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
16,795 Posts
I have a provent on mine and have just fitted a new genuine fillter but I never see anything much in it but my ute has only travelled 94k.

Reactions: NissTorq

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Genuine Provent 200 but do the 25mm fittings & hoses from rocker cover to inlet pipe.
Also recommend the enhanced rocker cover condenser mod. Since doing mine I’ve had no oil to empty from the Provent in the last 8000 kms and 6000 of those kms was pretty heavy towing.

i think the biggest thing with most off the cheap catch cans is that they will supply a barb with a 5/16" tail but its usually threated into a 3/8" or 1/2" thread fitting so you end up with such a restriction that it causes all the issues most people associate with cheap catch cans. minimum 5/16" threads and hose will be ok for moderate tune but full blown ive noticed a difference between factory setup and when i went to 1" hose and fittings.
This sounds like the go, fully blown...heheh

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I think ryco make one now similar to the provent. I have no experience with either on the td42 but it may be worth a look.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the Ryco one and went with it only because the unit and filters are readily available from Supercheap etc. Been on for over a year now and no oil gets past it into the intake, and the kit comes with several size fitting options. Cant compare with others as I've only used this one.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
x100 provent 200 plus one of festers added height condenser(big thanks @festerGU) with 25mm hoses, only a slight vapour in can never even had any in the drain to drain lol

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just about to order the Provent 200 (not kit) plus the drain pipe with ball valve which is $175 plus $25 for the drain, this is free post so cost would be $200 from western filters. I saw a review video that said on ZD30 that the canister lacked enough capacity to catch the amount of oil it would catch in 5,000 k's making me wonder if the Ryco was a better unit in that regard, however the provent is excellent filter insert design and claims to catch 98% of droplets while more simpler designs maybe catch 30% or less. So for the performance and price I'm still not 100%, and how would the ryco compare. The ryco is apparently a much harder to make room for. I'm also advised to neck the 25mm hose down not at the catch can side but at the rocker cover side allowing more volume of space which logic says would help. The application is TD42T running 200 KW.

Provent will be easiest to fit but whats best performance, and can a longer drain hose act to catch more oil?

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the Ryco one and went with it only because the unit and filters are readily available from Supercheap etc. Been on for over a year now and no oil gets past it into the intake, and the kit comes with several size fitting options. Cant compare with others as I've only used this one.
Wondering how much oil does it catch in a oil change interval typically?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the Ryco one fitted to a TD42T, along with a second battery and an ARB compressor on the same side - its tight and I had to manufacture a simple bracket to mount the catch can, but it all fits. One thing I like about the Ryco is the unit slips into the bracket from above, so to remove is simply disconnect the hoses and lift the unit up.
I get a small amount of oil - maybe 50ml in 10 000kms, and none gets into the intake. The comments from those not collecting any oil are interesting - logic would say that either the catch can is letting it all through to the intake, or there isn't much blow by in the first place.

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the Ryco one fitted to a TD42T, along with a second battery and an ARB compressor on the same side - its tight and I had to manufacture a simple bracket to mount the catch can, but it all fits. One thing I like about the Ryco is the unit slips into the bracket from above, so to remove is simply disconnect the hoses and lift the unit up.
I get a small amount of oil - maybe 50ml in 10 000kms, and none gets into the intake. The comments from those not collecting any oil are interesting - logic would say that either the catch can is letting it all through to the intake, or there isn't much blow by in the first place.
Thanks mate, yeah interesting so makes you wonder what sort of k's on their engine. Given all the Provent promo videos and the claims bugger all will get past it, do I buy that claim hmmm I want to. The Provent has about 100ml capacity to collect oil and water that's not much. But neither is 50ml in 10,000 k's with your ryco, if the ryco is catching a high percentage of blow by, so how can we tell how efficient the ryco is?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah - good question. My engine has only 150k kms on it and I only put the catch can on because I was getting some oil residue in the intake, and it was one of the steps in trying to resolve my engine run-on issue (didn't make any difference...). Since fitting it has stopped all blow by residue getting into the intake, but I run a max of about 18PSI on a relatively low km engine, so not a good test subject.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts