Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so troll is a 3.0 gu troll and it has a 2" lift and was just wondering what size tyres i should run was thinking 285/75/16s has a nice set of nissan alloys under and i hear if i go to 15s my brakes will cook so opinions!!!

·
Registered
nissan
166 Posts
285s are a great size for a daily/all purpose tyres, but if you are happy to do some swapping around then you can run 315s for play tyres. I run 15 inch rims, I don't notice a huge difference, though I definately can see they bag out more and they have a bit more movement when driving. But that is my 35s running on 15 inch rims. If you've got 16 inch rims, use them. but unless you go a larger offset 285s are the biggest you will fit. Also nice that 285s are the largest size you can go legally. I'm about to run 33s as dailies and 35s as weekend play tyres. 33s are great for most things, but the extra clearance of the 35s is nice on the harder stuff (especially with a 2" lift and only front and rear bars).

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Probably a dumb question to ask but what it the max size tyre I can fit on the 17" standard factory rim from a 08 GU? I want to run 35's but haven't got the cash to get both rims and tyres.
When you guys start talking about offset it just make the brain go WTF!
I have read so many tyre threads on here and when I think I understand, someone else throws in a comment that sends me right back to my confused dumbass state! A place I live most days! :)
Any help of clarity would be great. Sorry for hijacking the thread by the way Jimny Cricket:confused:

·
Registered
nissan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the heads up and to help answer your question and depending on what state you live in (im from vic) you are aloud 2" lift in tyres 2" lift in springs and 2"lift in body so if standard is 31x16 or 17 or 18 or whatever you are aloud 33" if you want to "legally" run 35s you have to do a brake upgrade and get it engineered
offset is the distance from the outside of the rim to the center of the rim (the flat bit where the wheel studs go through) HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all new to the site and Nissan patrol, 01 GU just brought it has loads done to it on 33” MT with a 3” lift and I would like to get AT tyres on her as most of my driving is on the road but weekends could go wheeling the rims are 15”x 10.5 sunrasurs was thinking of going to 31” will it work or look hideous your thoughts would appreciated

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
32"s or 265 x 16 is the stock size. Don't go smaller. 31's won't fit on a 10" rim anyway and 10" rims are **** off road anyway. Go back to a stockisk 265/75x16.
Small tyre on bigger lift will always look awkward but what do you want more.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
Hi all new to the site and Nissan patrol, 01 GU just brought it has loads done to it on 33” MT with a 3” lift and I would like to get AT tyres on her as most of my driving is on the road but weekends could go wheeling the rims are 15”x 10.5 sunrasurs was thinking of going to 31” will it work or look hideous your thoughts would appreciated
For yours the original size was 265x70x16, same as my 2000 (this size changed on the Patrol that or the following year), I thought hard about going 285x75x16 but seeing as I do mainly touring combined with some difficult offroad I was concerned about the effect on pulling power and fuel eco with my manual. I went for 265x75x16 which have worked well for me down the years with my 3" lift, I've been through places with guys with bigger tyres and still made it no worries. As it turns out I have heaps of Hp and Torque now but still staying with my choice, not worried what people think it looks like, still does me fine after 380,000k. With 31's you will be revving harder and for touring that isn't what you want.

Do you know the story on why yours has 15's instead of 16's? but regardless if you stick with them I would be going for a 15" tyre that has the rolling circumference of the 265x75x16, which is close to 2.5M.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For yours the original size was 265x70x16, same as my 2000 (this size changed on the Patrol that or the following year), I thought hard about going 285x75x16 but seeing as I do mainly touring combined with some difficult offroad I was concerned about the effect on pulling power and fuel eco with my manual. I went for 265x75x16 which have worked well for me down the years with my 3" lift, I've been through places with guys with bigger tyres and still made it no worries. As it turns out I have heaps of Hp and Torque now but still staying with my choice, not worried what people think it looks like, still does me fine after 380,000k. With 31's you will be revving harder and for touring that isn't what you want.

Do you know the story on why yours has 15's instead of 16's? but regardless if you stick with them I would be going for a 15" tyre that has the rolling circumference of the 265x75x16, which is close to 2.5M.
Thank’s for that your right with dropping to 31 if it was standard on 32 think I will stick with the 15” rims for now till I can do a big Chang back to stock but I’m looking at getting a set of A/T for touring and work looking into 265x75x16 thanks again for your great help

·
Registered
2003 GUIII - TD27T
122 Posts

My '03 has 265/70 r16's on the placard, but when i got my hands on it it had 15's at -22 offset with 32 x 11.5's on it.
I think we have to go to a -22 offset to clear the brakes?
also from memory the closest metric size to a 32 is 265/75 r16 at 31.8ish mm, hence why i decided to stick with the 32's.
bear in mind also my ZD has been replaced with a TD27T

More than happy with them, i think the 285's would be too big and hurt on the highway on big hills.
going to 285's is about the same as dropping to 4.1 diffs from 4.3's.
My son's '02 ZD has 285's and is hopeless on hills with a trailer on.

currently running Maxxis 764's in the 32's as they meet the patrol tyre/load rating
and they just done a 3950km round trip to Melbourne and back, no cooked brakes.

·
Registered
nissan
6,422 Posts
32"s or 265 x 16 is the stock size. Don't go smaller.
The stock size for most 3.0 GUs is 265/70/16 which is equivalent to 31". A common change is to go to 265/75/16 which is equivalent to 32" and is what I and an awful lot of other people have done. The next size up is 285/75/16 which is equivalent to 33" and the largest size that can be used without engineering. If you want one size tyre that will be used for everything and don't tow much then the 32" is a good compromise. If you intend to do a lot of towing then dropping back to the stock 31" might be a better choice unless you do some mods to increase power. If you intend to hang on to the 33MTs for play then the 31"s might be a good choice even if you don't do a lot of towing. They might look a bit small with a 3" lift though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So much great info going to go see what I can get in A/T over the weekend thinking 32 is a nice in between size thanks to you all

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
I've got 70,000 so far on my BFG AT KO2 with more to come, best all round tyre I've had on mine in the 19 years I've owned it, bloody brilliant in sand and gravel, at least worth a look.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,270 Posts
My '03 has 265/70 r16's on the placard, but when i got my hands on it it had 15's at -22 offset with 32 x 11.5's on it.
I think we have to go to a -22 offset to clear the brakes?
also from memory the closest metric size to a 32 is 265/75 r16 at 31.8ish mm, hence why i decided to stick with the 32's.
bear in mind also my ZD has been replaced with a TD27T

More than happy with them, i think the 285's would be too big and hurt on the highway on big hills.
going to 285's is about the same as dropping to 4.1 diffs from 4.3's.
My son's '02 ZD has 285's and is hopeless on hills with a trailer on.

currently running Maxxis 764's in the 32's as they meet the patrol tyre/load rating
and they just done a 3950km round trip to Melbourne and back, no cooked brakes.
-13 is a better offset. My '00 GU2 has 285/75r16 on that offset.
Flush with the guards. Spare fits on the door with no spacer too.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
526 Posts
How so??
285 75 16 = 32.8" or 833mm
305 70 17= 33.8" or 859mm.
The whole reason i went for the 305 is the 285 is not a true 33" tyre, nor is the 33 for that matter.

·
Registered
nissan
6,422 Posts
I thought we were talking about 16" tyres and the 285 is the same diameter as the 305 in 16"
The whole reason i went for the 305 is the 285 is not a true 33" tyre,
That depends on the tyre. These sizes are at best nominal and vary considerably between manufacturers and also between tyre types with the same manufacturer. The 305/70/17 is normally considered a 34" tyre.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well after heaps of help from all you great people I got the right size
So I’m on BFG mud 33”10.5x 15
And I’m staying BFG but going K02 32”11.5x15
I’ll post a before and after x my fingers it looks good lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts