Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Sorry if this has been asked before.
Search didnt come up with anything.
After almost losing a car on the weekend to some thieving dogs (the immobilizer stopped them from starting it once they pushed it out of my driveway), It got me thinking, whats the best wasy to immobilise a TD42 in a GQ? What have you guys used?

I thought about interupting the power feed to the fuel pump, but only 1 form of immobilization is too easy!

Thanks guys!

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Hi Guys, Sorry if this has been asked before.
Search didnt come up with anything.
After almost losing a car on the weekend to some thieving dogs (the immobilizer stopped them from starting it once they pushed it out of my driveway), It got me thinking, whats the best wasy to immobilise a TD42 in a GQ? What have you guys used?

I thought about interupting the power feed to the fuel pump, but only 1 form of immobilization is too easy!

Thanks guys!
Yes these mongrels are out there. There is a thread somewhere from many years ago on a full kill switch, have used them on race cars years ago in the event of an accident so marshals can isolate everything, and you can take the key with you.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,832 Posts
You need something that sets automatically when you turn the car off, it’s too easy to disremember to set the ‘safety’. Also you don’t need to have your safety published on a public forum. Maybe some member can PM you some ideas.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Anyone used something like this?
View attachment 519689
Old mobile phones hooked up to permanent power are good for car tracking.
Any iPhone. With find my phone turned on would work well. Just need a cheap $5 Aldi sim.

I am assuming android will have a similar app.

Only issue is it want send you an alert that some low life has stolen it. But will tell you where it is. The iPhone find my phone is supposed to be able to send you an alert if it leaves a geofence area. But that’s never worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan
807 Posts
Put a ZD30 sticker on the doors. Just found out today that a good M8 of mine has a ZD30 that grenaded for the second time. but its a few years old ...and I,m not sure if he looks after it properly either...but he has said to me no one has tried to steal it...as some not-so-nice a..hole had a go at his old GQ twice...but didn't succeed both times coz of the dog

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
291 Posts
Manual operated inline fuel **** somewhere you can reach like chassis near RH rear wheel arch.
They start, drive 20m, and are reduced to no more than an Idle or cut out engine in the middle of the road.
Bugger all chance of finding it unless they have watched you operate it.

You can do the same thing with a remote solenoid and a key fob if you are a little skilled in electrickery.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hidden kill switch, PLUS steering wheel lock (old type.) to hold wheel on an angle. Stops being towed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those steering wheel locks don’t take much to break.

Yeah, I was always dubious of the steering wheel locks. But the Police officer who came out when I reported the attempted theft said most kids who are out for a joyride would be turned way from a car with a steering lock. So I got on for my GQ and one for my Skyline which they tried to steal. If it helps its cheap insurance!

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Yeah, I was always dubious of the steering wheel locks. But the Police officer who came out when I reported the attempted theft said most kids who are out for a joyride would be turned way from a car with a steering lock. So I got on for my GQ and one for my Skyline which they tried to steal. If it helps its cheap insurance!
I still have my old sterring lock in the shed, they did work well years ago, but seeing as mine is a ZD30DI I may not need to bring it out of retirement.

·
Registered
914 Posts
It will slow down the opportunist theft.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One of these on an aldi sim. It will alert you when the car moves out of its geofence, and it has a relay output you can use to kill whatever part of the car you want when its speed drops below 25 kph via app or sms.
you can see where it is and where it has been.
Highly recommended.
4DE285AC-0DCA-4B60-8E22-C3D86C1ED626.png
5238720E-CEAB-4BA5-87B4-036E51BCAB7D.png

·
Registered
16 Posts
Too late when its been stolen and driven (onto the back of a tow truck.
Too late for what? Within a minute of the vehicle moving regardless of how it is being moved you get an alert on your phone. You can see exactly where it is in real time. If they disconnect the cars battery you get an alert. If that happens you have only a few hours to find it before its internal battery dies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts