Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GQ TB42 lacks power and econamy i get 230km to 90 litres of gas or 300km on highway trip.It runs 33 muddies has a new crane cams electronic ignition system and is serviced every 5000 klm's was dyno tuned when in ignition was fitted (6 months).Is there anything i could do to try and get better fuel econamy the lack of power i can put up with.As far as i know it has 4.1 diff,s well that's what the plate said, was thinking maybe a different ratio would 4.6 or help?

Thanks
cheers
chester

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
What did they actually do on the dyno ???
Obviously not much ???
Dearish to run and no power ???

Goin to 4.6s, well be quicker off the mark,but guzzle more fuel at highway speeds
Do a search regarding gas economy
I think its up to 30% more volume than petrol,so your gas consumption could be around it

·
Registered
nissan
377 Posts
Sounds abit high, mine(5spd) averages around 23/100 on highway and around 27/100 around town with 33 inch muddies, yours auto or 5spd? When was the last time the spark plugs were changed? How many k's has it done Your Carby may be due for a rebuild

·
Slow, Rough and Expensive
1,137 Posts
I get close to 500km on the highway out of a tank running premium, on 33's, 3:9 diffs, auto trans with lock-up switch,extractors and extended rotor button with standard ignition. I get around 400kms around town, there is about 30L of fuel under the empty line on the guage , so fill up a gerry can and drive from full to dead empty to see what your fuel usage really is.

I found the old exhaust had leaks everywhere and after putting the extractors and a new standard system on ,it really made a difference for me for both low down power and economy. I don't run gas but maybe you might have to find a better gas mechanic with more experience with TB42's so he can diagnose your problem better.

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
589 Posts
When I had a petrol engine I ran 35" with 3.9:1 diffs and got 320 klms for 90 litres of petrol with normal points ignition, extended rotor button and 5 speed manual. This economy did not really change if I was towing the van or not. The person I sold it to put 4.6:1 diffs in it and 38" shoes, he did get a lot better economy. From memory it was up in the area that MICKS4X4 is quoting.
Also the engine had never run gas.

·
Registered
nissan gq
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
get a diesel or learn to live with it.
i reckon the km sound right for lpg on 33s
Funny you should say that,i've been looking down that path as well.
Thanks for all the replys it only really sh*ts me when i want to do a long bush trip having to carry al that spare fuel.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
ive got 33s 2" lift stock headers 2 1/4 exhaust to a 2 1/2 tail
i get 230km to 90L on gas with a heavy foot or nearly 400kms with a normal foot
bout 450kms on the highway

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I get out of 88 litres LPG - city 300km and country 420km

·
Registered
35 Posts
had same prob run like **** on gas lack power getting about 280ks out of 110lt gas ran ok on petrol intake manifold gasket leaking leaning out mixture replaced, tuned, new high temp spark plugs has nearly as much power as petrol now getting 400-450ks on gas Sweet as

merry xmas

·
Registered
nissan gq
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just dropped the patrol off to be tuned and looked over,heading to dargo on wednesday and will be towing a 6x4 trailer loaded with camping gear so we will see how she goes.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
get a diesel or learn to live with it.
i reckon the km sound right for lpg on 33s

Don't know about that. On 31's I was getting 430km from 90 litres every time. Surely there couldn't be a 200 km difference even allowing for the speedo being out?

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
my tired old shorty TB42 auto would get 380kms to 85/90lt LPG every tank, I never really thrashed it but did the gear selecting manually. Ran 33" muds and 2inch lift with roofracks. I ran a bit more timing and used to check the valve clearances regularly it certainly helped. As did quality silicone leads Gapped NGK plugs and electronic ignition. You should be getting better kays than 230kms/tank. I too had the gas place tune it (rubbish)and I certainly improved on what they thought was ok.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
I used to refill mine at approx 300 K's unless touring. Would usually take on 75 to 80 litres unless towing when it would use the whole 90.

33's and an Auto EFI

·
Registered
nissan gq
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well got the old girl back today and she was running way to rich, leaned it of a bit should get a extra 50km to a tank.Also had a gas leak at the converter,and finally found and fixed my problem of the fuse that keeps blowing,fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts