1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That explains why the Red Rooter tasted dodgey the other day

Mosquito-borne virus returns after 37 years Julia Medew
February 23, 2011

HEALTH authorities are urging Victorians to protect themselves against mosquito bites because of fears the insects are carrying a life-threatening virus that has not been diagnosed in a Victorian for 37 years.

Victoria's Chief Health Officer Dr John Carnie yesterday said ''sentinel chickens'' in the state's north, which are designed to alert health authorities to emerging mosquito-borne diseases, had tested positive for Murray Valley encephalitis virus this week.

It is the second time the virus has been detected in the chickens, which were strategically placed across the state after an outbreak of the rare disease hit Victoria in 1974. No human cases have been noted in Victoria since the 1974 epidemic.

Advertisement: Story continues below Dr Carnie said chickens were diagnosed with the virus this week in Mildura, Robinvale, Kerang, Barmah and Tooleybuc across the border in New South Wales near Swan Hill.

He said although the virus had not been detected in a human, Victorians living along the Murray River should avoid being bitten by mosquitoes.

He said when outdoors people should wear long, loose-fitting clothes and use insect repellent containing picaridin or DEET and ensure door and window screens were in good repair.

Dr Carnie said people with symptoms of the virus, which include severe headache, high fever, drowsiness, tremor and seizures, should seek urgent medical attention.

While some people with MVE experience no or few symptoms, a small proportion will develop a severe viral brain infection that can kill them or result in permanent brain damage

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
I reckon I had this over the christmas new year break after moto riding in Nagambie. I was sick as a dog for a week and a halfd and the doctor couldnt explain it. It came on too soon for Ross river disease. As did everyone else I whent with.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
I reckon I had this over the christmas new year break after moto riding in Nagambie. I was sick as a dog for a week and a halfd and the doctor couldnt explain it. It came on too soon for Ross river disease. As did everyone else I whent with.
Chrissy NY break hey? A common ailment going round then is Alcoholitis... Blurred vision, nausia, loss of balance, occasional loss of conciousness and frequent bouts of euphoria.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Chrissy NY break hey? A common ailment going round then is Alcoholitis... Blurred vision, nausia, loss of balance, occasional loss of conciousness and frequent bouts of euphoria.
DUDE! You should be my doctor! Is there medication for this? Ive heard about this alcohol stuff, good medication ay. :cool:

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
DUDE! You should be my doctor! Is there medication for this? Ive heard about this alcohol stuff, good medication ay. :cool:
Yep. The cure is ice, whiskey with the occasional shot of ginger ale. Every 15 minutes. Works a treat. Keeps the symptoms from bothering you until you stop treatment ;).

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
589 Posts
I had encephalitis back in 1991 I think. Laid me out for 3 months. Worst time of my life.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 10 of 10 Posts