Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
459 Posts
I had the old KO's on my GU

While they were definitely tough and had acceptable grip on dry bitumen the grip they offered on wet roads was nothing short of abysmal!!

My Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's had better wet weather grip than the BFG's.

Unless they have improved the wet bitumen performance I am not interested! Particularly in the Y62 which is driven by my wife during the week.

The linked youtube advert does not even make mention of improved road manners..... anyone know any different?

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
I had the old KO's on my GU

While they were definitely tough and had acceptable grip on dry bitumen the grip they offered on wet roads was nothing short of abysmal!!

My Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's had better wet weather grip than the BFG's.

Unless they have improved the wet bitumen performance I am not interested! Particularly in the Y62 which is driven by my wife during the week.

The linked youtube advert does not even make mention of improved road manners..... anyone know any different?
Thats why I didnt look at them, I've heard time and time again about their wet weather performance. In the words of one of my mates who has them "they are just dangerous in the wet". We were in his car towing a trailer in the dark on dewy roads heading uo through the ranges on our way to Levuca and it was just scary with those tyres. I liked the look of them, but the car is my wife's daily driver and it carts my kids all over the place, so above everything else I wanted tyres that would handle wet conditions, and are generally safe.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yep the KOs are poo poo, but the KM2s are better in all terrains including wet road. So they must be using a different compound of rubber for the KM2s, which it seems the KO2s will adopt.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,262 Posts
Fwiw I don't rate the maxxis either so wise move.
You don't rate anything though!!!:D

As for KO2's I'm sure i saw a set at beaurepaires over 18 months ago , They where bfg's and not ko's, and had much better side walls just looking at them. If not ko2's what tyres was i looking at ???

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts

When it comes to tyres..yes that's kind of true. The MTZ are ok and the original MTR were great. But the options we have to choose from these days are a bit underwhelming. I've got maxxis at the moment and just praying that Goodyear (or someone) release something new soon.

·
Registered
nissan
785 Posts

As for KO2's I'm sure i saw a set at beaurepaires over 18 months ago , They where bfg's and not ko's, and had much better side walls just looking at them. If not ko2's what tyres was i looking at ???
Possibly the rugged terrain. Quite a nice looking tyre imo.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu6
1,602 Posts
So the KO2 has been out for a while now.
Lets hear some FIRST HAND reviews with pics and useage reports if possible.
Getting rid of my KM2s after 35000kms as i can't stand the noise anymore.
Been on the car for 40k.
Pretty happy with them have about 75% tread left.
My ute is very heavy and i do about 60/40 blacktop/gravel.
Will get some pics tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,884 Posts
I've got 10,000k on mine now, most of that on trips and they are great, quieter on the road than their predecessor, also better grip in both wet and dry, their performance in soft sand is bloody fantastic as well as on dirt roads of which I do a lot of driving. I would have no hesitation in recommending them on my experience so far.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,884 Posts
Not sure why there should be any issues with balancing? I'm on my 4th set of BFG of one type or another and balancing has never been an issue, I've gotten 80-90k out each set so far with even wear after I've sorted the perfect highway/suburban pressures (yes there have been the odd psi difference to achieve best performance/comfort mix.

So you can remove balancing as any sort of concern, unless you have dodgy rims.

·
Registered
Nissan
38 Posts
I've got 10,000k on mine now, most of that on trips and they are great, quieter on the road than their predecessor, also better grip in both wet and dry, their performance in soft sand is bloody fantastic as well as on dirt roads of which I do a lot of driving. I would have no hesitation in recommending them on my experience so far.
Geeyou I'm looking for a tyre to help me out in the soft sand, just wondering what size you are running?

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Picked up a nail in the top of the sidewall (where tread wraps around) while 4wding. Not even 2000 kms on the tyre :(
Yes it's not the tyres fault and I'm generally very pleased with them.
But something for prospective buyers to consider, BFG don't provide any good will at all (company policy I was advised by them today). I wasn't after a free tyre, just maybe a bit off a new one to take the sting out of it, as they are expensive. This mirrors what other brands do like Yokohama and Mickey Thompson etc. At least my tyre retailer is giving me one at cost as I've been a long time customer.
I think goodwill, or what a brand might offer should be considered when buying. At least you know where BFG stand compared to others and can make better informed decisions.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have a question for those that have the 'new' KO2 tyre.

I have just put new ones on the fourby (about fifth set over the years), and my first impression was that there seemed to be less give in this set. Maybe it is just me, and of course it is seat of the pants stuff, but small bumps seem to be felt more. Has anyone else had that impression?

Still the great tyre I have come to expect, although the navi reckons she can hear more of a rumble, possibly from the chunkier shoulders. I don't have as sensitive ears and they sound about the same to me.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,884 Posts
I have a question for those that have the 'new' KO2 tyre.

I have just put new ones on the fourby (about fifth set over the years), and my first impression was that there seemed to be less give in this set. Maybe it is just me, and of course it is seat of the pants stuff, but small bumps seem to be felt more. Has anyone else had that impression?

Still the great tyre I have come to expect, although the navi reckons she can hear more of a rumble, possibly from the chunkier shoulders. I don't have as sensitive ears and they sound about the same to me.
I agree but it is subtle, I have always run my previous tyres at 38 cold, over a period of time I made a change and ow settled on 36 cold and a slight improvement in ride. My Missus has always commented on how quiet they are compared to previous tyres of which BFG were the most common. I still love them, best tyre I've had on the old girl.

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,561 Posts
Update,looking for new tyres and found this review,the guy has been given the tyres to compare with the KOs and states that outright,but interesting overall,

Cheers,G.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts