Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

big block into mq

12K views 73 replies 20 participants last post by  Jelmer160 
#1 ·
a guys just a quick question will a big block ford or chevy fit into a mq patrol as i can get cheap big blocks and would love a bigblock in one bt don,t know if anyone has done it or if it will fit any feedback appreciated regards dan (aka smokey)

#25 ·
someone in Victoria built the YYY NOT MQ drag car

383 Chev running 1/4 miles: 9.81s @ 137MPH

Rocky Mountain Patrol & Offroad • View topic - MQ drag car

would be interesting to see the build up :)
Awesome car that, he drove it around on the street with the fats on the rear and the police never bothered him????? its got an L300 front end in it to for weight reduction and no more 4WD-ing. sounds very angry when it idles- drrrooolll!!

#7 ·
edit: you guys were too quick and replied while i was writing this.

@seehuusen, 383 is (typically) only a small block.

you read my mind smokey, im on the shop for a big block chev at the moment. i read some magazines the other day with some dyno sheets and ive seen the light lol.

sounds like you can answer a few general questions for me. ive done a quick google search, seems they have the same gearbox bolt pattern and engine mounts as a small block. so if a small block was in the engine bay, a big block will bolt up in its place? do you know if they share flywheels, i have all new small block chev flywheel and clutch etc here, wonder if they would bolt straight on to a big block.

how much can you get a big block for? i really want one!

to answer your questions, havent heard of one in an MQ. searching google i found a bloke with one in a GQ, but not a lot of info on it. I have heard from a guy round the corner from me thats done many V8 engine conversions on both MQ and GQ that MQ have a lot more room and are easier to fit a big engine into, so thats good news.

MY-TD6i makes valid points about the gearbox and diff strength, however my personal intentions are for a nicely reco big block with all new manifold etc to 'refine' it, but not necessarily make extra power. i reckon the stock parts would hold up okay then.

with regards to the brakes and springs, i wouldnt worry about it. ive heard the SD33 weighs a bit more than a small block, and a big block weighs a bit more than a small block, so its all good imo.

#46 ·
this is just swinging on the crane but bolted to the box. will take some properly fitted pics and post if you want. a lot tidier in there now.also the top intake just unbolts and turns around 180 degrees so the intake is on the other side now. clever yanks.

gq inj 454. has the standard small injectors for a bit of fuel economy but still puts out 265hp(240+hp from3000rpm on) at the wheels and 1400lb of torque starting at 1700rpm.which is were the dyno sheet print out starts at. same bolt pattern as a small block, there are 2 different flywheels depending on teeth count. horsepower is cheap out of the states and info is easy to google. around the $200 for a set of bigger injectors to bolt in and hello to 500hp at the bags. if you look at inj versions rip the tappet covers off and google the head casting numbers and see what you have. jagged a set of oval port closed chamber heads as standard. heaps of fun and a nice note out the back. cant wait to run it in a bit more and then back to the dyno for a final tune. will try and help with any questions i can.

#9 ·
yeah on the flywheel i am not sure but there is a guy in bundaberg selling bb chevy 454 for $2200 with all accessories on it and i mean everything incl air or i can get you bbford 429 460 for $1200 there at tweed heads as for the weight the sd33 is heaps heavier my wagon is so light to steer now its awsome and the power steering isn,t even on and thats with 33s if your going for torqe like i would i reckon the diff and box will be fine my mate has a 400ci chevy and floggs it stupid gearbox fine but has done diffs from flogging it too much his fault driving normal i belive they would be fine
really at the end of the day its lighter so the springs brakes will be better if anything gotta go take it easy mate regards dan

#14 · (Edited)
dry weight of an SD33T is not 600KG plus!!!
It's 305Kg dry and I've had my engine out 3 times in the past 2 years... I guarantee my engine hoist can't lift 600+ kgs LOL

in comparison, a 7.2 liter Duramax V8 diesel weighs 1180lbs or 535Kgs and a TD42 is 352Kgs (someone actually put their engine on a set of scales on outer limits TOP NOTCH!! LOL

#15 ·
actually, from the website Lawrence provided "The Warden's Diesel Page"

SD33T
TYPE: 4-cycle, water-cooled diesel
COMBUSTION: Swirl Chamber, pre-combustion chamber type
CYLINDERS: 6, in-line, vertical
BORE x STROKE: 83x100mm (3.27x3.94in.)
PISTON DISPLACEMENT: 3246cc (3.2 litres, 198 cubic inches)
COMPRESSION RATIO: 20.8 : 1
WEIGHT (DRY): Approx. 305 kg (about 672 lbs)
ASPIRATION: Turbocharger, max. output approx. 6.5psi

#16 · (Edited)
Big blocks start at about the 427ci mark..... 350/383/400s are still small blocks. Chevrolet originally had their Big Block starting at 348ci but as their small block grew from 265ci to 350ci the smallest big block was the 427 and the starting point for 'big block' V8s is recognised as 427ci.

The recognised BB chevs are 427, 440, 454, 470, 496, 502, 540, 572 and a few other variants. The original 1955 big blocks were 348 to 502ci.

With the USD at the moment you can get a complete GM factory rebuilt 572 with the race block 4340 crank and every option making 620hp for $14k delivered. *Drool*

#20 ·
540 RealStreet High Performance Chevy Big Block Crate Engine
540ci, all new parts including block, forged internals etc, 625hp @ 5200rpm, 640lbs @ 4000rpm, runs on 91 octane! $10k to buy, $1200 sea freight.

im shopping for a stock big block for now, then im going to hot it up with some bolt on parts and i should be laughing. should get 500ftlbs and cost only a few k. far superior option to duramax imo, i could build 3 big block wheel standing MQs for the price people buy 1 duramax engine.

@seehuusen, ive been doing some reading on aussiev8.com and there were a few people who had discussed big blocks into kingswoods, pretty sure they were QLD too. they were saying for seperate chassis vehicles like a 1-ton, the max ci size engine is the weight x 0.33. for a sedan with a uni-body chassis, its weight x 0.29.

so for a MQ to only be able to have max 350ci means 350/0.33=1060kg! i think the MQ is a bit heavier :)
1500 * 0.33 = 495ci
1800 * 0.33 = 594ci
2000 * 0.33 = 660ci
not sure if there is other reasons for the 350 limit, but the above is what i read from people doing conversions.

#21 ·
you forgot the 396, which is also a bigblock. The 400ci is a small block high torque long stroke engine mainly found in trucks. you can also stroke a small block to 427ci....the differencein ford big blocks & chev big blocks it that the Ford crank is externaly ballanced (add weight to the crank rather than remove the weight from the heavier side) you just get better life from bb Chev & less wear on main internals, plenty of BB ford cheap!

#23 ·
440 chev big block ???
440 is a chrysler product
The issue with the 350 chev in QLD,is actually a great thing considering that there are rulings where your not allowed larger than the biggest factory option for that car ???

Go 350 buy extrenal measurements,whack the 383 strocker crank in, injection (sneak a shot of NOS)
It would be one hell of a ride (NOS aint legal in QLD either )friggin fun police
Yes holden were goin the big block in the HQ range (should be something on the interweb regarding this)
They are no taller than a 308 but just a tad wider

#24 ·
big block should go really well into the engine bay, heapsa room!! maybe a 1 or 2 inch body lift so it sits a little lower in there and you dont end up with clearance problems. i have a high energy sump on mine which is quite big and still have heapsa room aswell as a bug catcher. The main thing is getting the bellhousing adaptor to mate it all up. dont under estimate the driveline it is much stronger than u think as my 400 chev is putting out round the 500hp mark with standard gearbox, driveline, diff etc and smokes the 35's with no dramas- this has been going on for a while now lol was looking on the Scott Shafiroff Racing Drag Race Engines & UltraStreet High Performance Pump Gas Crate Engines website for big blocks the other day....... cheap as on there!!

#29 ·
yah mate that 454 is on e-bay but the bb fords are in tweedheads bb ford are ok you just don,t go silly with cam and compression ratio a lot of people havn,t ran a ford bb when i was 19yrs old we put one into a zd fairlane wow man what a beast it was a 429 very mild too and the big dollar 351s that it ate was awsome and it had better street manner.s too go figure i was suprised and learnt the bb ford is a cool motor that was a 429 which is more of a passenger car motor and is the best pick if you find em the 390fe series is a good motor too as my father in-law has one in 66 ford galaxy pillerless very strong engines the main thing i would be worried about is the block bolt pattern and if dellow make one must check that out thanks for all the feedback guys i learn something new on here all the time best forum on the web thanks and regards dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.