Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

121 - 140 of 185 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,469 Posts
Do you run a fan under your intercooler Ross?
Yes installed a fan when I went to my CCIC in 2013, blew that one up a year or two later then I installed a nice 10" Spal, been in ever since, went from a 50c thermo switch to a 40c switch a couple of years ago to keep it running longer.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti cab chassis
15,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Wonder if one would fit under my hpd..food for thought.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,469 Posts

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
15,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Interested to see what your egt's are doing when you fit temp gauge fan on, fan off with big scoop compared to dork scoop.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,469 Posts
Interested to see what your egt's are doing when you fit temp gauge fan on, fan off with big scoop compared to dork scoop.
Will look at that, but, it is well documented that fans when cruising are of minimal benefit (underslung fans not overhead fans), where they shine is when doing beach work and other slow moving drives where sheer forced airflow isn't available.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,469 Posts
Getting closer, because of the short wiring to the sensor I can't put the gauge in the cabin, seeing as it is a cheap temporary thing I spent another 4 bucks on a small box from JayCar and cut it to fit the gauge, jury rigged with connections so I can mount it in quite a few places for trials. For this it will go near the scoop on top of the bonnet with tape and run the wires through the back of the bonnet so I can read it through the windscreen, all sealed so no need to worry about water if it rains while out on the road.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,469 Posts
OK preliminary temperature findings with an ambient temp of 28c. Had to go to Repco at Nambour, no 100kph areas on this trip, 80 and 60. On the way over I had the sensor probe taped to the CCIC exit tank, top pic which was taken as soon as I pulled into the Repco carpark, when I left I switched the sensor to the CCIC inlet tank, as you can see there is a 12c difference on this quick test, remember the temps are tank surface measurements, not air temp measurements. Exit temps moved a little but generally stable, inlet temps swung quickly depending on what position the throttle was in, as you would expect.

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
15,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Good work gee. (y)

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,469 Posts
Bit of an update, drove to Kenilworth yesterday so had a mix of 100k cruising and low range 4x4 on steep tracks (the latter was no issue whatsoever with temps so didn't bother recording anything on paper). Before leaving I moved the check points slightly, a little closer to the inlet and outlet tubing and used a different tape to hold the sensor in place which seems to have just slightly changed the base points. As said before the hot side can fluctuate quite rapidly depending on load and boost, whereas the cold side responds slower.

When cruising at 102k, 20%TPS, 12psi, the hot side temps were in the 55c range, given a hill where TPS climbed to 30% and boost rose to 22psi the temp went to 71.6c, after moving the sensor to the cool side for the return trip the temps were between 38c and 51c, this surprised me a bit. When I first jumped in the Trol in the morning I had checked ambient, which was 28c, on starting the vehicle the surface temp of the IC was 31c (it had been sitting in the garage all night and on buying the unit I checked it against known gauges I had and it complied) so maybe we can take that 31c as a reasonable guide base point. It was a busy day so I didn't get any pics, you will need to take my word for the data :).

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
15,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #130 (Edited)
Was thinking about the conversation we had about ic fans @geeyoutoo and decided to have a squiz..
Don't Think I will bother.
Not much room.

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
15,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
big pipe,no room.

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
15,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
No poxy CRuD under that de-dorked hood.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,469 Posts
The big scoop has one drawback as I found out yesterday, when running a lifted vehicle through rugged terrain you really need to have a good look and a good memory of what you have seen when the nose lifts and the track disappears, the big scoop actually cuts your direct vision down, makes you mentally work a bit harder.

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
15,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
might need a pillow to sit on.

·
Go The Knights and Blues
32,905 Posts
I've driven and sat in gawds patrol..
I can tell you now he already has extra padding on his seat...

See what I did there?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,469 Posts
might need a pillow to sit on.
Just to clarify, I'm 175cm tall, several years ago after doing many outback/backblocks trips I decided to fit 50mm seat sponge (which I shaped to fit) under my sheepskin seat covers on both seats to improve angular view, it also allows me a better view over the GPS that sits on the dash left of centre, and no the seats have not sagged, rather than spend a fortune on aftermarket seats, about 8 years ago I had a local upholsterer strengthen the frames, repad and cover my original seats.

As many would know a vehicle with a 3" lift gives less 'glance' vision than a std height vehicle, also the new scoop sits at 67mm above the bonnet whereas the std scoop sits at 38mm above bonnet. The difference in angular vision is that with the old scoop I could just see the top of the bullbar, now that has completely disappeared, this means angular vision from the seats has moved several meters forward making tree roots etc a little more difficult to spot quickly, it is not an unsurmountable problem but it is something you notice very quickly on rough gouged tracks and need to be aware of.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,645 Posts
Nice Looks great @plumma! I'm about to fit a CC IC What scoop is that? It looks a bit like the HPD Series 2 one? I like it it, doesn't sit too high, as i am a short arse.

It's the scoop that cross country supply.

If i were to do it again, I probably wouldn't go top mount.
Whether you choose front mount, top mount or water-to- air, they are all a compromise.

121 - 140 of 185 Posts