Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on this forum have a na blacktop that runs more then 20 psi and has a bigger pump?
After power but can’t afford to swap the motor or build it up

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,233 Posts
Not the same engine as you but I have about 5k or more in a ZD30 and I didn't need to buy a pump.

Think carefully before you upgrade the diesel as you might need to be in it for almost the same as an LS swap if power is what tickles your fancy.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,062 Posts
Anyone on this forum have a na blacktop that runs more then 20 psi and has a bigger pump?
I do not think the boost pressure is the important factor. In my view it will be how much fuel is burned. I have seen one of these make 150kw and then get lunched. Lots of broken bits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t know why they can handle a decent amount of boost as soon as you have the fuel to match apprently the pistons crack not far down the road

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I don’t know why they can handle a decent amount of boost as soon as you have the fuel to match apprently the pistons crack not far down the road
Combustion is what causes the piston failures. A small amount of air pressure is not going to damage a piston, it is the fuel delivered with it.

So to make your limit a certain amount of PSI is not very reliable. A BW 6758 produces the same volume of air at 10psi as a TD05 18G does at 26 psi.

·
Registered
nissan
1,812 Posts
So if you can't afford to rebuild the engine why risk it and not play it safe you might start breaking other things in the drive line. If you have large tyres say 33" or bigger then running 31" tyres will help with acceleration if it's that important.

·
Registered
nissan
2,913 Posts
Combustion is what causes the piston failures. A small amount of air pressure is not going to damage a piston, it is the fuel delivered with it.

So to make your limit a certain amount of PSI is not very reliable. A BW 6758 produces the same volume of air at 10psi as a TD05 18G does at 26 psi.
Hmmmmmm, interesting comment.
Perhaps my math is wrong but did a quick few sums.
Compressor maps aren't detailed enough to give absolutes here.
Lets use P.R. of 1.8.

18G at a P.R. of 1.8 will be doing 15.5lbs/min at around 85k rpm at about 69%
6758 at a P.R. 1.8 will be doing 15.8lbs/min at 93k rpm at about 70%

If you were to look at the extreme right side of the maps at a P.R. of 1.8, then the comparison is even more interesting.

Simply food for thought.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Hmmmmmm, interesting comment.
Perhaps my math is wrong but did a quick few sums.
Compressor maps aren't detailed enough to give absolutes here.
Lets use P.R. of 1.8.

18G at a P.R. of 1.8 will be doing 15.5lbs/min at around 85k rpm at about 69%
6758 at a P.R. 1.8 will be doing 15.8lbs/min at 93k rpm at about 70%

If you were to look at the extreme right side of the maps at a P.R. of 1.8, then the comparison is even more interesting.

Simply food for thought.
Not my calculations Marty, I am repeating what Peter told me ages ago. That means I may have the numbers slightly off too.

But my point to the original poster is that setting a max boost point is not the best way to protect his engine, in my view anyway. Every turbo will be different in terms of its volume at a given pressure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if you can't afford to rebuild the engine why risk it and not play it safe you might start breaking other things in the drive line. If you have large tyres say 33" or bigger then running 31" tyres will help with acceleration if it's that important.
Was just bummed when I found out the figures that your able to run safely compared to the figures out of the other motors silvertop etc just wanted the same amount or close too at least like 180-200 hp would be ideal but having the motor I have dosent look like I’m going to be able to

·
Registered
nissan
2,913 Posts
We setup blacktop NAs all the time at 200hp, they survive very well, only time they typically break is when they are mistreated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We setup blacktop NAs all the time at 200hp, they survive very well, only time they typically break is when they are mistreated.
With a 12mm pump? Or just an 11mm pump? Just want something with a decent amount of power that could last for a while,

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
One I saw that lunched itself badly was making 157kw, apparently. But you never know what had been done to it. Lots of dodgy set-ups out there.

·
Registered
nissan
2,913 Posts
Modded 11mm, we dont do 12mm at 200hp pumps.

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
One I saw that lunched itself badly was making 157kw, apparently. But you never know what had been done to it. Lots of dodgy set-ups out there.
exactly, I see a lot of this smoking round town, older TD's tuned up making lot of noise, not much power and a lot of smoke.

This is why you want a setup figured and tuned, with somebody who knows it, and the turbo, and this engine, and what WORKS. I don't know haw many fit this bill, but there is a few.

OP best to get the right base to start with if you want bigger boost

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Another issue is the oil pump on your NA TD42 is smaller than the oil pump on a black top TD42T. So if you are really pushing the boundaries of your motor your lubrication system is not designed for that. Engine Tech

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,233 Posts
How much truth to all this is there? They're starting to sound as bad as 1hzs.

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
How much truth to all this is there? They're starting to sound as bad as 1hzs.
What exactly do you mean by "all this",

the fair answer to your question is it depends who you talk to, as this thread shows

I think it's about giving accurate info that people have posted "all this", they can decide how to go.

Some might get lucky and that's one option to take a ris of a blown engine, the other is to do it right ie get a black top built up to Turbo spec, or better a silver top which too have their limits.

If can't afford it take the risk, but be careful.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,233 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "all this",

the fair answer to your question is it depends who you talk to, as this thread shows

I think it's about giving accurate info that people have posted "all this", they can decide how to go.

Some might get lucky and that's one option to take a ris of a blown engine, the other is to do it right ie get a black top built up to Turbo spec, or better a silver top which too have their limits.

If can't afford it take the risk, but be careful.
200hp with the UFI gear sounds like how I'd go in the OPs shoes then (am chuffed with their turbo for my 3.0 and good customer service)

I would like to know what mistreating is though, so I don't risk doing it.

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
It would be interesting to see an experiment, buy a stock black top with 400xxx on it and give it 200kw upgrade, then go on tour with full computer monitoring of engine.

We could make wagers on how long it would last, and what would fail first, head, crank, or pistons or all at once...LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts