Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,
im setting up my trip in late april next year, leaving the gold coast threw mount isa, borrorola, darwin & down threw the kimberleys (gibb river road). just wondering if people could recommend any places too visit or too try out barra fishing.

im driving a well setup patrol & like hard tracks

thanks in advance russell :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
No places to try??? Or recommend??
If you plan to go from Burketown to Booroloola via Hells Gate in late April better hope the wet finishes early. King Ash BaY is worth a look, then go up through Roper Bar and come out at Mataranka. Lots of good fishing spots through there.

Word of caution, do NOT fuel up at Cape Crawford unless you want to take out a large loan, Booroloola is a lot cheaper! Cheers

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats the sort of information im after thanks,
what is the hell s gate track like??? i was looking at going straight up to the barkley homestead & up to borrorola

·
Registered
177 Posts
You can hire houseboats from King Ash Bay, they are well priced 'fishing houseboats". Not luxury. no spa.:) They give you a tinnie as well. Two deep freezers, anda big shaded sundeck up the top. We had one for a week and it was about $1ooo.There is something like 1200km of waterways there.
But even if you camp at King ash bay and go out from there its good too. Quite civilized.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thats the sort of information im after thanks,
what is the hell s gate track like??? i was looking at going straight up to the barkley homestead & up to borrorola
pretty boring heading over and up via The barkly homestead. I would reccommend turning off at Cloncurry and head towards Burke town via Gregory Downs. Get on the Savannah Way and follow it all the way to Mataranka. There is heaps to see this and do if you go this way. the new Caravan/Cabin Park at the old Roper Store should even be open. Wet season runoff may still be a problem.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that route looks like a great option "balanda" when do you s think it ll be dry enough??? how is it for fuel supply going up threw that way??

i have always done the cape in last week of april due too it still being a bit wet but not wet

thanks russ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fuel is not a problem. You can fill up at Doomadgee, Hells Gate, booroloola and Roper store. I would still carry a spare jerry can. If you decide to have a play on the way up and visit a few of the attractions like Adeles Grove, King Ash Bay or Limmen Bight you can obtain fuel as well. However if you intend to visit/explore these places and still intend seeing the Kimberley's you might need more time. I have travelled this part of the gulf track in January and April. Some of the rivers and crossing become tidal and you have to wait or fish for a few hours. There will be other traffic about and these people act as the bush telegraph. The Victoria River might cause a few problems as you access WA. I don't think the bridge is finished yet.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what is adeles grove like??? i havent heard of it, im planning on 5-6 weeks for travelling, thanks for the good information balanda :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its just one of those little out of the way places thats becoming very popular. excellent camping, the best scenery, nice little bush resort type bar/cafe. They tell me that "Lorella Springs" on Rosie creek is worth a look. I have never been there though. 5-6 weeks is not long if you intend to make Broome and back. I reckon its still worth following the cloncurry, lawn, hill, doomadgee, booroola, roper river, mataranka, and katherine route. You will not see everything but you will see enough to plan another trip at a later date.

Regards,

Balanda

·
Registered
63 Posts
what is adeles grove like??? i havent heard of it, im planning on 5-6 weeks for travelling, thanks for the good information balanda :)
Adels Grove is a must stop if you are going past. It was originally a Botanical Garden back in the day. Good to stop, refresh and have a quick dip in the water. We did some canoeing up to the little falls and a bit of a hike too. Very nice place! Adels Grove - Lawn Hill Gorge National Park And Riversleigh Fossil Fields - Outback Queensland

And the Gregory Downs hotel on the way to Adels is a good pub stop.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Gibb river road

Elquestro station located at the kunnanurra end is a good spot to stay and the barra fishing is unbeleivable there. There are also some other stations that i stayed at when i did the police legacy mountain bike ride such as MT elisabeth.

The Gibb road is not a challenge just another dusty corrigated road, but there is some wicked scenery around the king leopold ranges

cheers:roll:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Elquestro station located at the kunnanurra end is a good spot to stay and the barra fishing is unbeleivable there. There are also some other stations that i stayed at when i did the police legacy mountain bike ride such as MT elisabeth.

The Gibb road is not a challenge just another dusty corrigated road, but there is some wicked scenery around the king leopold ranges

cheers:roll:
i do intend to check out this station, do you know of any hard or very difficult tracks to rewarding campsites or fishing???

thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is the kakacdu worth spending a couple of days visiting??? or spend the extra days exploring the kimberleys???

any one of you s do the trip in a ute??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey guys if ever up near Lorrella Springs its worth a visit, been their April 2010 bit wet still but if you could get in to the Rosie fishing Camp some great fish to get caught, if not their is some great Barra Fishing in the Billabongs. CAUTION make sure you have a Winch thou seen so many people camped out towing vans that were stuck in rivers withno Recovery gear.
You can check their website at
Lorella Springs Wilderness park.com
PH 0889759917

1 - 15 of 15 Posts