Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a few chev v8 diesel conversions around and I have one myself. I was just curious if there is any other similar conversions out there, like cummins diesel or perhaps nissan truck engines into patrol?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
they already have a nissan truck engine. :)

the problem is the sheer weight of big diesels. You're looking at half a ton or more.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Someone once told me a chevy v8 diesel weigh's around the same as a td/tb 42?

·
Registered
nissan
1,354 Posts
they already have a nissan truck engine. :)

the problem is the sheer weight of big diesels. You're looking at half a ton or more.
Someone once told me a chevy v8 diesel weigh's around the same as a td/tb 42?
I don't know about the 6.5 chevs, but the Duramax weighs in at roughly 380kg which is about the same as a td42 as far as I'm aware.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I was talking about cummins when I said half a ton.

theres a few duramaxes about. youre looking at a lot of coin.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cummings make a 4 cylinder at 3.9/4l 100kw/350tq stock this would be great.
It's the same as there 5.7/5.9 block just minus 2 cylinders so gear boxes/accesirirs fit right on

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,042 Posts
Or maybe a Steyr seems to be the flavour of the year for the military now days.
Bore/Stroke: 85/94
Cylinders: 6
Displacement: 3.2
Max Output: 200kW/272Hp
Max RPM: 4000
Dry Weight: 290 kg

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Is there anything about 5 litres with direct injection and 4 valves per cylinder apart from the Audi V10?

·
Registered
nissan safari
70 Posts
im in the process of fitting a NISSAN FE6TA
445kg dry
6925cc 108mm Bore 126mm Stroke
235HP/173KW @ 2800RPM
and the best bit 647NM @ 1400RPM and over 520NM at 900RPM

keeping the STD Nissan box gives me a built in equivalent of dual transfers

should be fun!

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
267 Posts
445kg dry
235HP/173KW @ 2800RPM

should be fun!
i want photos, ive thought heaps about doing the same thing, big diesel, all nissan, sure it might not be a fire breathing duramax but its got all the right badges on it!! How far along with the conversion are you??

·
Registered
nissan
1,354 Posts
445kg dry
235HP/173KW @ 2800RPM

should be fun!

Cool, any pics yet?

·
Registered
nissan safari
70 Posts
the project has only just started so new in fact that I only picked up the motor last week the chassie was just organized today & the 2 bodys that will be cut to make a mid wheel base sitting on a LWB chassie with the ends cut off by 100mm front & 180mm rear to push the front & rear over hang to nearly nil

so far all i have done is made up mounts for the front of the chassie/body +65mm iv also cut the front off a wreck to wield on & extend the bonnet 140mm so i can fit it all in. have started the mounts for the gear linkages to sit on the chassie so i can run the remote shifter for the 6SPD & started looking at how to put a safari transfer case on the back of the box

also just organized for a mount strap to be bent up for me out of 200mm wide 1/2" plate to sit under the sump come back up across the top of the chassie & wrap around the sides to be wielded on & use the factory Nissan MKB210 mounts in the front i will then fab up some heave duty mounts for the rear using the factory mount peaces along with 3/8" plate.

currently the plan is for 40" trepdors & 4.1:1 ratio diffs

the rear diff is a HJ260 model out of a MK patrol with the short side cut off the housing (MKs are off centered) and a long side off another wielded back on in its place to give me a much wider track & full floater axles

im still unsure what to do with the front diff tho, open to suggestions.

douse any one know where in ither NZ or Auzzie i can get good strong axles made to measure? in witch case i would widen a GU front housing with a GQ rear center in it ti give me the bigger spline count etc.

·
Registered
nissan
1,354 Posts
the project has only just started so new in fact that I only picked up the motor last week the chassie was just organized today & the 2 bodys that will be cut to make a mid wheel base sitting on a LWB chassie with the ends cut off by 100mm front & 180mm rear to push the front & rear over hang to nearly nil

so far all i have done is made up mounts for the front of the chassie/body +65mm iv also cut the front off a wreck to wield on & extend the bonnet 140mm so i can fit it all in. have started the mounts for the gear linkages to sit on the chassie so i can run the remote shifter for the 6SPD & started looking at how to put a safari transfer case on the back of the box

also just organized for a mount strap to be bent up for me out of 200mm wide 1/2" plate to sit under the sump come back up across the top of the chassie & wrap around the sides to be wielded on & use the factory Nissan MKB210 mounts in the front i will then fab up some heave duty mounts for the rear using the factory mount peaces along with 3/8" plate.

currently the plan is for 40" trepdors & 4.1:1 ratio diffs

the rear diff is a HJ260 model out of a MK patrol with the short side cut off the housing (MKs are off centered) and a long side off another wielded back on in its place to give me a much wider track & full floater axles

im still unsure what to do with the front diff tho, open to suggestions.

douse any one know where in ither NZ or Auzzie i can get good strong axles made to measure? in witch case i would widen a GU front housing with a GQ rear center in it ti give me the bigger spline count etc.
Jeeeeeeeezus, that's a big project! Good luck with it all can't wait to see the finished vehicle.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
GQ rear centre wont work well. you'll be driving it in reverse and will go through pinion bearings a lot.
Unless you mean just the very centre and use a GQ front 3rd member and crownwheel and pinion.

·
Registered
nissan safari
70 Posts
GQ rear centre wont work well. you'll be driving it in reverse and will go through pinion bearings a lot.
Unless you mean just the very centre and use a GQ front 3rd member and crownwheel and pinion.
take it you mean this for the front?

just mean the carrier so i can run the bigger axles & higher spline count as you can open up the GU CV`s to take 33mm axles instead of 31 if you want and more importantly the higher spline count for strength.

still will be using the H230 (STD GQ/GU front)front 3rd member & CW/pinion

1 - 20 of 25 Posts