Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This has probably been asked a few times but I am looking to get a bigger motor in my 2010 ST as I dont think it will handle my new boat at all as it currently struggles a bit with my 4m tinnny on it. I rang Bruswick diesel this morning and asked them to give me an indicative price for a the new 6.5L turbo diesel motor and they told me it would cost $32k to have the existing one pulled out and new one installed.
I nearly crashed my car when hearing this price over the bluetooth.

Questions are:

- Are the Reliable?
- Is that price $32k taking the piss?
- How much would I get selling my existing motor (2010model 105,000kms)
- Is there any other popular diesel big motor conversions that people nowadays go with instead of the brunswick avenue?

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,016 Posts
There's a few people that have gone Duramax.
They are more expensive (I'm assuming you'll get a shop to do the work) but they'll blow pretty much any other diesel away.

$32k does sound about right for a Brunswick conversion.. They're not cheap, but there is a fair bit of work involved in shoving a 6.5 into a Patrol.

Reactions: mtre9209

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
what motor do you have? can't figure out a patrol not pulling 3t with ease

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
6.5 Turbo Intercooleds will leave you in a pretty similar spot powerwise and you'll have dropped 35K for torque a bit lower in the rev range. There is sweet f'all to be gained in a 6.5 in my opinion (driven two).

If you're gonna spend that sorta cash and doing it for the purpose of powering up, Duramax will deliver a heap more power per dollar spent. Or sell what you have and buy a Cruiser or F truck.

Reactions: mtre9209

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,675 Posts
I tow a 6 3m boat with mine no problems.
If you want power then look at a ls conversion. Ls1 for less than 10k. Ls2-l98 a bit more but worth it.

·
Registered
nissan
508 Posts
How much will your boat weigh? I've had no trouble towing anything I want at 100km/h I then did a chip and exhaust for $2500 and find my crd patrol to be a brilliant bit of gear.

So I guess the question needs to be asked what you want/expect from your truck.

I've driven my cousins converted gu 6.5 and was sourly disappointed for the $37k

1 - 14 of 14 Posts