Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I can鈥檛 seem to find any definitive and sweet if there is a silver top td42 bill it crank direct replacement available ?
sorry if this has been answers but I searched and it didn鈥檛 refer anything
馃馃馃

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn

Registered
nissan
I heard it's about 3k.

Maybe someone who sells them or someone who has purchased can confirm?
Crankshaft Rebuilders in Vic do billet cranks for anything and everything, just not sure why you would want to change, TD42 cranks are steel anyhow not cast iron as is a TB42.

Registered
nissan patrol
Crankshaft Rebuilders in Vic do billet cranks for anything and everything, just not sure why you would want to change, TD42 cranks are steel anyhow not cast iron as is a TB42.
Yes they are cast steel.

A hotrodders dream.

But alas, people have found a way to break them with ease!!

Registered
nissan
This forum has lots of broken TD42 crank stories. Some guys are on their third crank, I think bambil is on his fourth. Lightening the flywheel helps save them and changing to an aluminium flywheel helps even more but billet is the magic bullet..

Registered
nissan
Broken 2, they came out in pieces, cracked 1 , which was my original with 550k+ km on it.
Yes NA TD42 STD stroke billet cranks I have in stock, $3200 plus freight.

Aluminium flywheels - My god the reasons for using one has changed so much with every man and his dog adding his 2c worth as to why, generally not one person understands the original concept behind it.
I built my first one after much thought and with some engineering advice from a fellow members torsional vibration testing many years ago.
I never built it thinking it would eliminate crank failures all together, i did it to extend crank life. The idea being to shift the nodes around, higher in the rpm and hopefully past the end of the crankshaft.
But what I did initially has been so twisted and distorted as to the reasons behind it..
Yes I run a billet crank, and I still use a aluminium flywheel (4.8kg) and a small 8" twin plate clutch, with a total weight of the whole assembly being 14.3kg from memory, these days I use it simply for the fun factor.

Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
I posed the question a while back, as to the effects on crankshaft harmonics that an automatic gearbox torque converter may have. No answer I am afraid, but it has the potential to be an advantage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts