Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a quick search on this forum and google for some info on the Bilstein remote res shocks and couldn't find much. Just wondering if anyone on here is running them and what they are like?

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
1,174 Posts
High end bilstein, king, fox etc are all pretty similar. Whats most important is getting your valving and spring rates dialled, this is what makes for a good setup! not a brand name. I'd be comparing a 7100 series bilstein with factory fox shocks and regular kings

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So pretty much if I want the best out of my rig I should call them up, and tell them all the accessories weigh up to, and they should be able to get it perfect for me?

Or is it something that I put on after all the gear is on, then get it tuned??

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have been running remote res bilstiens for a couple of years now and they have been good. Very reliable and really nice over the rough stuff. Very good open and closed lengths, and easy to fit longer shocks with a smaller lift. Much better in this department than my Kings.

Build wise they look small compared to most of the other remote res shocks available, but mine have been very reliable, no issues and not a mark on the exposed shaft after a couple of years.

Just this week I have just swapped them out for 2.5 remote res kings. I was looking for something adjustable as my ute is a daily driver but I load it up fairly often for trips.

As Tristian said valving is the important thing, mine were a bit too soft when fully loaded with the camper trailer but for small trips they were very comfortable. Personally unless you can find someone to valve them for you or you are capable doing it yourself I would be hesitant on shelling out for them. Most shocks out of the states are valved rather soft and generally wont suit out patrols etc.

·
Registered
nissan
1,174 Posts
Yeah basically if you can be as accurate as possible when you buy your shocks about how much weight is on each corner and how you drive then most serious suspension dudes should be able to get it fairly close to ideal. The bilsteins above are 7100s i believe, the 9100 shocks look much more like a king or a factory fox shock. If you are willing to do the valving yourself then go for it and choose the brand with the best open/closed lengths for your setup. Otherwise, if you're going to pay someone to do it, find out what shocks they deal with as most are generally a dealer of a specific brand and choose accordingly

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like the kings are better built. From what I can tell, with my inexperienced opinion, the fox and kings are pretty much the same, so if you had to choose between the 2 for a hardcore tourer what would you choose?

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Depends on your budget Fox are a lot cheaper , Kings are expensive

·
Registered
551 Posts
It looks like the kings are better built. From what I can tell, with my inexperienced opinion, the fox and kings are pretty much the same, so if you had to choose between the 2 for a hardcore tourer what would you choose?
Yes the Kings are very well built. A mate has bigger again remote fox shocks and they have been very good. Budget plays a big part, and I would have a really good think about what you want vs what you actually need. Seems to be a big fad for remote res shocks lately but there is Nothing wrong with the various other shocks that have been around for a long time especially Koni 88's or 90's, EFS extreme Bilstien etc. I got thing kings for a great price which made it a easy decision but if I had to pay what they are worth at the moment I would want to make sure I was getting enough use out of them.

·
Registered
nissan
1,174 Posts
If i was choosing between kings and factory fox (similar price) in similar length i would choose fox because they have a fully sic logo and the stickers look cooler, thats honestly all it comes down to in my opinion. They're both a very good shock and you won't go wrong buying either. Just get whatever is cheapest and spend what you save on a good diy nitrogen gassing kit and a bunch of shims

1 - 11 of 11 Posts