Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got any clue why the new cdc engine wont run biodeisel ? and is their some way of changing it so they will

·
Registered
Nissan GU 2000mdl
12 Posts
Bio diesel-dont do it!

My 2000 ZD30 failed due to Bio diesel use. Within 2 months after that the only mob still selling it in WA is Gull Diesel, all the others stopped making it.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
grahamw said:
My 2000 ZD30 failed due to Bio diesel use. Within 2 months after that the only mob still selling it in WA is Gull Diesel, all the others stopped making it.
I dont think the Bio-diesel would be the only issue that caused your failure. Theres plenty of people on here and other forums making their own bio-d with 100k klms + up after the initial cleaning of the lines etc without issue.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Do the new CRD's have Particulate filters in the exhaust?

If so, that would be a major reason not to run biodiesel... I know the Navara's and x-trails do, and it causes all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no Particulate filters in the exhaust for my 08 patrol its only low ash diesels i think

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
Guy I know is running his Ti 3lt on vegi or chip fat, he had to make a couple of mods to do it but in all honesty I kinda tuned out when he started to explain it, it was enough to put me to sleep. I looked at the set up in his shed for filtering out the impurities, blending etc and I though it was all a bit like too much hard work for the savings, but he is a tight bugger. Same guy has a pimped up 80 series 1HD-FT that he uses for trashing in the bush, so the savings he makes on running both might be worth it to him. He is a very smart cookie non the less, I will email him and get the drum and post back when he returns the email.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
After reading Glort's post I wont need to email my friend, just as well as he is so anally retentive and technical about everything I would fall asleep just cut and pasting his email reply.. Never knew he was making it for that little though, but as he makes 200k a year I still think he's a tight so and so...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i I was told by the service department of Nissan not to use bio diesel, no reason why was given.

but I was thinking about making it out of oil chip oil that comes from my friends shop they pay to get someone to pick it up so I thought if I could run it and make it for a bit of fun

But I don’t know that much about it and just thought I would ask the question

First of all, Citing facts not what someone said on the net or at a stealership, what is the REASON they supposedly won't run it?

The only factual reason I am aware of is some older vehicles not having Bio resistant seals in Injector pumps that the bio eventually makes soft and they leak. Many pumps can have the seals replaced by the vehicle owner if they are a bit handy or done for reasonable cost by a diesel mechanic.
I also know people that have had leaky IP's that stopped leaking thanks to the bio softening the seals and making them pliable again.

2ndly, when you say Biodiesel, exactly what are you talking about?

Biodiesel can be a whole heap of things, it can be 10% Bio in 90% Dino or it and be anything up to pure 100% Bio. It all gets called Biodiesel which to me is the same as Putting 10% Distallate in water and selling it as Diesel.

I am not aware of any 100% bio being sold from servos, generally it's a blend aimed at getting in on the feelgood market or some years back it was slightly cheaper.
Also be aware that some non informed people also refer to straight vegetable oil as Biodiesel which it is not and is a very different thing.

The main reason manufacturers say no bio has a lot to do with emissions regs and also the quality of the product. There have been a lot of cases of all sorts of crap being added to fuel and sold as bio as well as the homebrewers making up all sorts of concoctctions with impurities left in it such as methanol and Koh.

I have run Home brew Bio blends for almost 5 years now and have a mate that has been making and running it longer than that and has yet to have a single fuel related problem.
There are also a lot of yanks running it and many of their vehicles have a lot more fussy fuel systems than anything else.

Are you looking to make Bio yourself or buy it?
If your looking to buy it to save the planet and help the environment, don't bother. If you look at the whole process of commercial bio, it's a dead loss as far as emissions are concerned. If your making bio from waste oil yourself, that's a different thing.

As for the cost of home grown Bio, my mate makes it for about .23C per litre at the moment and then waters it down a bit with some extra veg oil so would be easy paying maybe .15C per litre.

·
Banned
nissan
75 Posts
Im about to go down this path myself and setup a production of bio, does anyone happen to run it in an mq-mk sd33t motor? Anyine had any problems with the switch?

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
i I was told by the service department of Nissan not to use bio diesel, no reason why was given.
many manufacturers void warranty if you use it.

if you have no warranty give it a go and be the test pilot for it :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow thats a post and i thank you for all the info but i have one question who do you know in tassie thats making the bio diesel i would love to contact them

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
insurance

Great post on biodeisel

One question -- what about insurance on the property that you are manafacturing the bio in.
Hope its not in an attached garage or a neighbourhood shed -- hope it is in an old shed far - far away.
I wonder

1 - 12 of 12 Posts