Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may already be known to some but I removed the r/h/r bumper to do some minor repairs using the heat gun to reshape a dent in the bumper.

As I was heating the bumper, initially on the inside, then on the outside, I noticed that the colour changed from a slightly graying colour , to black.

I thought I would give the plastic pieces on each end of the side steps a go with the heat gun as they are almost white from age and sun etc.
It worked a treat!! They are almost like they have been painted.

I have a video that I will post once I work out how....

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Damm Magic!!!!!! Cheers

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,017 Posts
I've heard of this once, but never tried it. Looks like it works well.
You might want to put some armour all on it to stop it from fading too quickly.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol y61
388 Posts
It doesn't last, it apparently pulls the oils out the plastic back towards the surface, you need to keep treating the plastic. It's used in the motor trade here in UK a lot as a quick fix.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Thats nuts. I wonder if it lasts
Yes it should do for quite a while because what it is doing is to melt the top layer of plastic so that the old deteorated plastic melts back into the surface again.

BUT be careful as to how much heat you use.
1. Start with the hot air gun on the lower heat setting.
2. I would also use a bit of tough cardboard to protect against the door paint as you are verry likely to start the clear layer of the paint bubbling with just a tiny bit more heat than you need to melt the plastic.
3. Be careful of the flares where they join the body, the small strip of seal rubber is soft and only glued on with double side tape. If you heat it too much it starts to buckle and comes out of the flare gap. Plus expensive to replace at about $70 per flare strip.
4. dont do it on painted flares, Doh.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Best thing to do afterwards is maintain a habit of treating it with some sort of trim protector (But not armourall, armourall to cars is like bleach to skin - yeah, it cleans you up, but not in a good way!), which'll greatly reduce the damage from the sun and general crud buildup, and help keep the colour in.
A little bit of love goes a long long way!

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I've got carplan black trim wax. It works an absolute treat. A little bit goes a long way, it goes on easy and the shine / blackness lasts really well. I think I bought it from repco.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Howdy,

I use mcguires stuff and armourall like it goes out of fashion. So I looked on the net for an alternative "homemade" substance and bingo!

Bought a bottle of "no name baby" oil-$2.30

*A cup of baby oil
*3-4 drops of dish liquid
*1/4 cup of water

Put it all in a coke bottle, shook it very well and poured it back into an old armourall spray bottle.

For $1.30 it filled the 250ml spay bottle.

My opinion is wow Im converted. The trim is like brand new and soaks into the black trim in the side step ends and look brand new(they were whit/grey and no amount of commercial stuff brought them to life.)

Anyways give it a go for a cheapskate like myself its working awesome and Im happy as and the car smells like my girls when they were babies :) ah memories.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts