Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a call from a mate today who has been waiting 10 weeks for a set of Black Widow draws. He rang up to see how much longer his draws will be and was told that Black Widow has gone into receivership and he won't be getting his draws...

Anybody else heard this?

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
They were still selling items over seas in Oct 2014.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,466 Posts
All retailers got an email yesterday morning to say they had gone into liquidation, no details beyond that.

They had been taking 12 to 16 weeks with orders, so no wonder many retail outlets jumped ship to Outback Interiors.

Shame to see this happen, I believe they resisted the temptation to go to overseas manufacturing for longer than most and look where that got them!

I guess that leaves TJM and Ironman in the poo too, BW made their drawers. TJM took over BW's "Travel mate" cheaper variety and BW made them exclusively for TJM, not now I guess :-(

Rip another Australian business.

·
The Centaur .5 Manpopwer .5 Horsepower
nissan
981 Posts
Heard it last Nov that they were in trouble but nothing was said about going into receivership (that's from an industry insider so names won't be given, even via PM, so please don't ask) and was told just over a week ago from a good mate (who works at an ARB store) that they went belly up. I had a look at the ASIC website last night and nothing came up about being in receivership but I guess it may take a few days for it to get onto the website.

Reactions: the big rig

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
So now there's one less quality option for us, leaving more people having to buy cheap imported crap.

I often wonder whether certain large importers are really 'for the 4wder'.

·
Registered
nissan
578 Posts
So now there's one less quality option for us, leaving more people having to buy cheap imported crap.

Drifta drawers are Oz made. I have a set in my Patrol and love them.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Not good black widow make really good strong & well made draws, I have a set in my shorty custom built by them & they only charged me $80 shipping to the Gold coast to.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

ORS are a great option

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts

Having to buy?
The problem is people are choosing to buying the cheap imported crap. This is what is putting Ozzie companies in the poo. This isn't just a problem with Ozzie companies in the 4WD sector of the market. It is happening everywhere. I don't think there would be many people including myself completely innocent of this.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
All retailers got an email yesterday morning to say they had gone into liquidation, no details beyond that.

They had been taking 12 to 16 weeks with orders, so no wonder many retail outlets jumped ship to Outback Interiors.

Shame to see this happen, I believe they resisted the temptation to go to overseas manufacturing for longer than most and look where that got them!

I guess that leaves TJM and Ironman in the poo too, BW made their drawers. TJM took over BW's "Travel mate" cheaper variety and BW made them exclusively for TJM, not now I guess :-(

Rip another Australian business.
Might explain why Ironmans fridge slides have been a different design recently too (bw made theirs as well as their drawers) I actually like the new design better, feel more robust, no assembly req'd, and dropped substantially in price too :cool:

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
Having to buy?
The problem is people are choosing to buying the cheap imported crap. This is what is putting Ozzie companies in the poo. This isn't just a problem with Ozzie companies in the 4WD sector of the market. It is happening everywhere. I don't think there would be many people including myself completely innocent of this.
Agree 100%

Having to is the wrong phrase

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
This is happening more and more now as people are going the cheap way out on everything. I have always bought local where possible before I look overseas.

I just had someone asking questions and then wanting to place an order only to pull out because some joker in Queensland is buying cheap lights, $40 HID kits and making all these claims about how good his lights are. His ads are copy and pasted direct from a Chinese link along with the spelling mistakes. I think what annoys me the most is he has tried to copy my idea and then do it with cheap parts. This then drags others down when they fail in 3 months time.:headwall:

The funny part was he was a Graphics designer which I was going to approach to do some work for me. I guess that just bit him on the ass as I will only support people who support me.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,466 Posts
There's a couple of ways of looking at that.
Black Widow and Outback Interiors BOTH build their drawers overseas, got to the point where they had to as they presumably could no longer afford to do it in Oz. So they are also 'imported crap'.

BUT... Did you see them drop their prices to match their new lower cost of manufacture? Did they lower their prices to match the (at the time) rapidly improving exchange rate?

No? Well the other possibility is they were greedy and gobbled up the improved margins.

Then wonder why they lose market share to all the other mobs mentioned above, and look where that got BW.

Reactions: Thruan

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
There's a couple of ways of looking at that.
Black Widow and Outback Interiors BOTH build their drawers overseas, got to the point where they had to as they presumably could no longer afford to do it in Oz. So they are also 'imported crap'.

BUT... Did you see them drop their prices to match their new lower cost of manufacture? Did they lower their prices to match the (at the time) rapidly improving exchange rate?

No? Well the other possibility is they were greedy and gobbled up the improved margins.

Then wonder why they lose market share to all the other mobs mentioned above, and look where that got BW.
Agreed. Seems a problem with a lot of Australian companies, too easy to eat the extra money than compete with the lower priced import market.

I have outback drawers thought they were oz made, still would have got them if I knew they weren't but wouldn't have been so happy about the price. I buy oz when I feel the extra money shows in the product and get sleaze bay items when Ozzie stuff is overpriced and of comparable quality. No one wants to pay more than they have to.

Blame globalisation, punk rock had it right all along.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,466 Posts
Agreed. Seems a problem with a lot of Australian companies, too easy to eat the extra money than compete with the lower priced import market.

I have outback drawers thought they were oz made, still would have got them if I knew they weren't but wouldn't have been so happy about the price. I buy oz when I feel the extra money shows in the product and get sleaze bay items when Ozzie stuff is overpriced and of comparable quality. No one wants to pay more than they have to.

Blame globalisation, punk rock had it right all along.

Yeah when outbacks were made in Cairns they were vehicle-specific, so they were the maximum size possible to fit a given vehicle. Also very easy to fit.

Now they will fit lots of vehicles, so the drawers are only big enough to fit the smallest vehicle they can go in, with wing kits changed to suit model. This also means they take three times longer to fit and are very fiddly. Basically all the advantages they used to have over BW are no longer there. Still very good exceptional quality drawers though, I'd be very happy with a set if I didn't make my own.

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Thats shame...their quality is very good so I'm pleased I bought mine when I did. I wonder what will happen to all of the tooling, jigs, patterns and materials.
I did a lot of research before placing my order with them last year. Now it looks like the choices are becoming less and less if people place quality over cost.
Just last week a mate of mine was admiring the drawers I have and said he'd drop BW an email for a quote.....guess he's not going to get a reply now.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,466 Posts
Suggest he tries Outback Interiors, at least as good, and about same price.

·
BLACK BETTY
607 Posts
Got mine only a couple months ago. Choice really was between outback and black widow. Outback do not do wing kit for the GQ anymore. So black widow was the choice. Did look at some of the cheaper brands.
But I needed child seat restraints points. I figured by cheap was not worth the risk. Black widow seem of gone to a lot trouble with the safety testing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Yesdear
1 - 20 of 34 Posts