Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I looking at blocking the EGR and installing a Dawes needle and valve setup on my GUII ZD30.
Now I know there's a lot of write ups about this,
but I was wondering if there was anyone who's done this that lives near Caboolture Qld,
that I could let me have a look at hows it done and where to get it all as well.

There's nothing like seeing it for real to make it clear.

Pep

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Im in the same boat, but in Adelaide. Engine bays, drills and me mix about as well as oil and water. It doesnt sound too hard, but im tempted to pay someone to do it, im going for a big trip at xmas and it might be good to have it done before..

Hi All
I looking at blocking the EGR and installing a Dawes needle and valve setup on my GUII ZD30.
Now I know there's a lot of write ups about this,
but I was wondering if there was anyone who's done this that lives near Caboolture Qld,
that I could let me have a look at hows it done and where to get it all as well.

There's nothing like seeing it for real to make it clear.

Pep

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,678 Posts
I'm at Alex Hills if you don't mind going for a bit of a drive.

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Best way I found was to familiarize yourself with your engine bay. Egr is very easy. Check out the bible it has a break down of the entire valve

good luck

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,614 Posts
Im in the same boat, but in Adelaide. Engine bays, drills and me mix about as well as oil and water. It doesnt sound too hard, but im tempted to pay someone to do it, im going for a big trip at xmas and it might be good to have it done before..
Come on, it is piss easy to do, apart from silver soldering a fitting to the boost pipe for the Dawes setup (if you got boost gauge already than all you need is a T piece to its line)
EGR shim is even easier, a piece of stainless steel, drill, hacksaw and a file. Use the old gasket as a template. Don't forget a sealant (exhaust temp grade)
Cheers.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty well ok with the EGR blocking part, it's more the
Dawes valve bit that has me somewhat concerned.
I'm gonna install the boost and etg gauges first.

Pep

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,614 Posts
I'm pretty well ok with the EGR blocking part, it's more the
Dawes valve bit that has me somewhat concerned.
I'm gonna install the boost and etg gauges first.

Pep
The hardest part of installing Dawes valve is to get the boost line fitting fitted somewhere either in the boost pipe or if you can find the space on the intercooler. I didn't think there was a suitable space on the intercooler so I removed the steel boost pipe(one of) drilled a hole in it just big enough to screw a brass adaptor fitting (with internal thread) securely and than silver solder it (so access to oxy/acetylene kit required) there which is a slightly knowledgeable skill other wise one might end up with even bigger hole in the pipe. Than all you need is to screw either the T piece or Elbow piece barb to suit the hose. That way you can plug it back if not needed.
Now see if you aren't up to it get an exhaust shop to weld you adapter for EGT gauge probe and ask them to do the same on the boost pipe.
Here is a simple setup see below.

·
Premium Member
25,678 Posts
Thanks skegdudley I may take you up on that.
Did you do yours yourself?

Pep
Yeah mate. I do all my own work.
Iv'e done a couple of them. Its pretty easy once you understand how they work.
Let us know if you want a hand.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks rumcjas, i'm gonna re-read that a few times till it sinks in!!!

Skegbudley, i'm hoping to get all the bit and gauges that i'll need over the xmas break,
I may contact you once the gauges are in if thats ok with you.

Pep

·
Premium Member
25,678 Posts
Thanks rumcjas, i'm gonna re-read that a few times till it sinks in!!!

Skegbudley, i'm hoping to get all the bit and gauges that i'll need over the xmas break,
I may contact you once the gauges are in if thats ok with you.

Pep
Not a problem.

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
Is there any advantage or need to block the EGR on an 06 4.2? Sorry to highjack the post just thought it might be a similair process to do the same with the 4.2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts