Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my egr blocked for 3 or so weeks now and have noticed a oily residue around where i blocked it. I used a peice of 1.6mm stainless. Its blocked it at the top pipe into the manifold. would 1.6mm be too thing and not seal properly? maybe i will block it at exhaust manifold also

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,344 Posts
Hi Jay,

If you have fitted a blocking plate that is thicker than the original gasket, you may develop an oil leak because the pipe flange won’t sit flat on the manifold. You will need to loosen off the bottom 2 bolts at the EGR valve itself where the alloy pipe comes from. Also, I’d put a light smear of oil tolerant silicon on the blocking plate and tighten the top 2 bolts first, then the bottom ones. This is how I stopped mine from leaking.

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i thought aluminum blocking plates could disintegrate and destroy the engine:S

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,710 Posts
I blocked my egr at the bottom pipe that comes around from the other side of the engine. Hope this is ok? Used 1.6mm stainless too but haven't seen any oil residue yet. Thanks for the heads u

I'll keep an eye open for it

cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
731 Posts
Hi Jay,

If you have fitted a blocking plate that is thicker than the original gasket, you may develop an oil leak because the pipe flange won’t sit flat on the manifold. You will need to loosen off the bottom 2 bolts at the EGR valve itself where the alloy pipe comes from. Also, I’d put a light smear of oil tolerant silicon on the blocking plate and tighten the top 2 bolts first, then the bottom ones. This is how I stopped mine from leaking.

X2

I removed the feeder pipe from the valve to the manifold and made two plates to replace the gaskets, from .9 316 stainless..... and as Chaz says a smear of oil resist silicon, but not RTV 732 or one containing Acidic Acid as it will 'eat' aluminium, over time.

My 2 bobs worth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.