Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry to do this as i am sure there will be a how to in another thread but i counldnt find it :(

how do you block calipers to find out which one is spongy??

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
You can buy a Thing I guess a plier that blocks off rubber hoses.
Bursons or the like should have em. They have a lock mechanism on then.
That's what I'd use

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
its called WOOD, stick a block in the caliper, crimping the hoses with vice grips is a good way to root them. I guess you're talking about spongy/soft brakes when pedal is hard pressed. Either leaking caliper or hose, very visible, or master cylinder is shot and pressure is bleeding around seal internally, renew or replace master cyl, then go on and reseal calipers because new master cyl seals will surely blow old caliper piston seals. You might have air in the brake line too from an improper bleed, or a small weep somewhere. That will give you a soft pedal, and no brakes.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already replaced master cylinder - and had a mechanic bleed them after that - not using any fluid so I'm now stumped!!

·
Registered
nissan
436 Posts
Check the slide pins on the caliper they will give the soft feel if seized and can be a bugger to fix if they are seized

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, just pulled apart both front brakes, changed the pads etc and found that the top slide pin on the LHS is indeed seized, and the piston on that same caliper refuses to be pressed back in to fit the new pads, so i will get that caliper rebuilt and the slide pin fixed at the same time. cheers for the responses guys!!!

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Pleased you got that sorted Mavtroll, folk often forget about the slides.

Just a side note; what you do to one caliper you should (must?) do to the other.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeh I thought that - I'll see how I go - a little strapped for cash atm.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i am ashamed to say it but i went dodgy and went to the wreckers, got a caliper as an interim thing and once i have settled into a new job back here in bris i will order two brand spanking new calipers :)

anyway brakes are perfect now so im rather pleased with myself lol

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Great outcome Mavtroll, and your learning more.
Check the price on caliper recondition vs new, when your ready.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeh have done - 270 each for reconditioned or 389 for new - may as well go new

1 - 12 of 12 Posts