1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Chasing some info on the above.

Engine has 189k on it now. Has never suffered from excessive blow by. Had a catch can since 120k and it’s a provent 200. Recently replaced the filter in that.

I’ve recently installed an eclipse turbo.

Since that time I’ve got a blow by tap running out the inter cooler hose and down the side of the engine. I’m not indicating it’s the turbo.

Fills the catch can hose in about the same time as it used to.

I run Penrite hpr10 and have done for the last 50k or so.

Car isn’t using oil noticeably, maybe 100-200ml every 5k.

What should I be looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,849 Posts
Hmmm! Just to grab a bit of info, what boost are you running.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Definitely need to give me the turbo, that should fix it Rich. My new motor is producing a lot of blow-by too, well more than I expected but less than the old motor did.
What did you mean a blowby tap, have you got a drain tap on the intercooler?

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,867 Posts
@Richie-Rich. Not to sure on what associated mods you are running like catch cans etc and how its fitted or not fitted. But blow by is usually a product of excess crank case pressure. A turbo can be a contributing factor to this but not usually the prime cause. When crank case pressure is excessive it will cause oil to pass the turbine and compressor seals as these seals are not rubber seal but piston ring type seals, they rely on the differential pressures in the comp housing and turbine housing to hold back most of the oil. There is no pressure oil exposed to these seals at all just crank case pressure or drain pressure if there is too much oil feed into a CHRA bearing.

On a tied engine where piston rings have seen better days this will produce a lot of crank case gas so the importance of a good quality catch can and adequate evacuation suction vacuum provided by the pre turbo induction system is required. Even on a good condition engine good crank case evacuation is a bonus to oil serviceability and keeping unwanted oil out of the induction system.

Zd30's do need good crank case evacuation as does any turbo engine, cheap knock off catch cans are not up to the task for the compression and by pass gasses of a diesel unlike a petrol, this has been proven in the past.

A quality engineered designed catch can for diesel is a good option like a provent using the tube sizes provided on the provent not necked down tubing at the can itself. Or at least just necked down right at the rocker cover but not at the induction system entry. You want as much evacuation vacuum possible provided by the suction air velocity pre turbo.

·
Registered
nissan
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@OldMav thanks for the in-depth reply. Please don’t take it as a public slander. Not at all what I am doing. Love the turbo.

So I have a provent 200. It is reduced a bit and it does turn 90*. This is on my list of things to address!

Running a full fabwitz induction to the turbo. Enlarged airbox entry to 3 inches as well. K&n filter too. From the turbo to the inter cooler and back to engine is still stock, thinking about a front mount. The cooler is a small CC.

I’ll take some photos.

·
Registered
nissan
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok as promised pics.

Only cleaned it down yesterday after the beach runs.

So I can see I need to address the provent piping and remove the bends. Can’t really increase the size of the tube going back to inlet as there is no space with the welded in bung.

Strangely the oil isn’t making it very far, previous to the catch can and cc cooler going on I would get some slight misting and signs of oil towards the inlet manifold. Now that side is dry and the oil is only making it as far as the inter cooler join above turbo.

It has also been suggested to jerry rig a bottle to actually measure the blow by more accurately. I’ll be doing this within the week.

Thoughts.

·
Registered
nissan
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Further to that I have also noticed a very slight dent on the oil return line just prior to the bend back into the block. Must have rested or banged it on something during install.

It’s in the large return line.

·
Registered
nissan
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I’ve taken all the 90 elbows out.

Rerouted the piping and catch can so there is a straight line from rocker cover to can and a gentle 16mm 130* curve from outlet of can to inlet.

I will monitor.

I will also look into making all the piping 19mm when it cools down and I collect the relevant parts.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
157 Posts
Ok so I’ve taken all the 90 elbows out.

Rerouted the piping and catch can so there is a straight line from rocker cover to can and a gentle 16mm 130* curve from outlet of can to inlet.

I will monitor.

I will also look into making all the piping 19mm when it cools down and I collect the relevant parts.

How did you remove the elbows? Did you find some straight connectors and use the same silicone pipework? I need to move my catch can to accomodate a dual battery, and would like to do the same as I am still getting some oil mist noticeable on the cool side pipe of my cooler. I think my pipework for the catch can came via western filters

Regarding a way to accurately measure what you’re catching... I have a piece of hose off the bottom of my provent with a small tap hose clamped in place. Ends near my oil filter drain hose. Stick a measuring cup under it and drain the oil out. Very very simple. I eyeballed about 150ml in 7k last oil change. Not sure if that’s excessive or not

·
Registered
nissan
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all,

Sorry for the MIA. Been busy.

Can’t for the life of me work out what’s happening. Removing elbows and taking restrictions out of the provent piping has not rectified anything. Still drinking down the front of the turbo and all over the exhaust and RHS of the engine and car.

I’m going to try and source a new oil return line and replace it.

Will also remove turbo to make sure everything is as it should be.

Jacko to answer your questions I got inline connectors and replaced the 90* elbows. I’ll try and figure out how to run 26mm hose from provent, won’t be pretty as how the elbow has been welded on the intake piping is on the piss, so it only just fits 19mm. Really not sure how going to 26mm piping will actually help anything when it all ends up in a 19mm 90* to make it back to the intake.

Photos attached!

·
Registered
Y61 GUIV 08CRD Wag ST
670 Posts
Not running with too much oil?
Try running hose so to bypass Provent and see how goes.

For info, I run 10w40 (since new_170,000ks) most times fill 5mm above high mark on dip stick, see no noticeable oil usage between service and lucky for CC to collect 50ml at 5000k service intervals, Have had some weep @ turbo outlet but not pouring out. Wonder if the cooler is causing excessive back pressure (pressure drop across cooler), due to running @ higher boost and the increased air flow from new turbo.

Thinking out loud mate.

·
Registered
nissan
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reply.

Oil level is spot on according to the manual. Check it 5min post shut down. Running 10/40 or 10/50 whatever hpr10 is.

Not sure re the back pressure across cooler. Wouldn’t have thought this would be an issue.

I’m still planning on bypassing the provent one of these days. Been too many other things on the boil. But this will get sorted next week when I’m back and family free for a few days.

Rich

·
Registered
Y61 GUIV 08CRD Wag ST
670 Posts
IMO, pressure drop that you can get across cooler, dependent of the build state/design of the core (how free flowing it maybe), if too small or restrictive, not be suitable to accommodate the greater airflow rate and boost pressure (Eclipse), causing excessive back pressure and not allowing the residual oil vapor to pass freely thru cooler and it may find that the silicon hose seal interface is a pressure release point (oil egress).

·
Registered
nissan
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I have finally pulled my finger out. Sick of oil stains on the driveway.

So step one has been to see how much blow by actually collects in 1000k. So I’ve disconnected the provent return to the inlet and instead have it going into a bottle. I’ll post back in 1000k.

Step 2 bypass the provent and do the above.

I have also a new turbo drain line and gaskets to install.

As for the cooler it’s a small cross country cooler. Hope this isn’t the issue. Same as what GU2 runs.

Rich.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
129 Posts
So your bottle can vent to atmosphere, maybe it should?

CC claim their "upgrade" cooler flow area is almost 4 times that of the standard core_recon be OK, sure there is others around.

·
Registered
nissan
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes the bottle vents to the atmosphere. The hole is about 40mm and there is a few bits of Steel wool in there.

So far I have done 575k. There is bugger all oil in oil the bottle and bugger all in the steel wool.

However there is still oil coming out of the intercooler hose and dribbling down the front of the turbo. This area was degreased thoroughly prior to diverting the provent.

Where could the oil be coming from? Oil level in the engine is ok and doesn’t drop?

This is killing me! Haha.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts