Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I know there are so many threads about this stuff. But I couldn’t find anything that fits..
so here we go:
A few months ago I bought a Td28 gu 1998 model. Never really took notice of what’s happening behind on the road. But recently I noticed a fair bit of smoke coming out of my exhaust when accelerating. Only on low revs 1200-1600. Turbo kicks in at 1600. It still drives normal and you can’t expect to much power From the 2.8Maybe it’s a just an old diesel thing but I feel bad for cars behind me. Have a performance chip as well if that could be it. I know worst case could be head gasket. Which got done 2 years ago... any help is appreciated.

thanks in advance

Edit: I’ve done a major service including fuel filter, air and oil filter, new oil and new coolant (and some stop leak as I’ve expected a coolant leak being the reason of the smoke)

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
725 Posts
too much fuel, not enough air.
can be many things, starting with a dirty air filter.
if you have a performance chip, it could also be faulty. it might have several settings. try less fuel. often these chips just add fuel with respect to TPS value, regardless of the real quantity of air.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry forgot to mention that I’ve done a major service Including new air filter, new fuel filter etc.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,474 Posts
The old 2.8 is renowned for blowing smoke, especially when taking off. Have you got a boost gauge fitted, to see how much boost you're getting at those lower revs. As mentioned, it could be the chip needs winding back a bit.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,474 Posts
You should fit a boost & EGT gauge, to monitor what is going on with your engine. The only way to adjust boost with the stock turbo is to use a boost control "T" which will allow you to get up to around 16-18psi.

·
Premium Member
1999 GU Wagon ST RD28
439 Posts
Hey guys I know there are so many threads about this stuff. But I couldn’t find anything that fits..
so here we go:
A few months ago I bought a Td28 gu 1998 model. Never really took notice of what’s happening behind on the road. But recently I noticed a fair bit of smoke coming out of my exhaust when accelerating. Only on low revs 1200-1600. Turbo kicks in at 1600. It still drives normal and you can’t expect to much power From the 2.8Maybe it’s a just an old diesel thing but I feel bad for cars behind me. Have a performance chip as well if that could be it. I know worst case could be head gasket. Which got done 2 years ago... any help is appreciated.

thanks in advance

Edit: I’ve done a major service including fuel filter, air and oil filter, new oil and new coolant (and some stop leak as I’ve expected a coolant leak being the reason of the smoke)
The RD28 wont normally boost as low as 1600, so the chip is throwing extra fuel (read SMOKE) in there to spool up the laggy turbo.
Remove the chip and you'll have minimal smoke but no guts.
Its not a sign of coolant leak or head gasket leak. I wouldn't be putting stop-leak in there unless it was an emergency.
As @62woollybugger says, you need more boost to burn that extra fuel you're injecting. And keep an eye on the EGTs because that extra fuel will easily cause a melt-down on big hills or when towing.
Consider winding the chip back to get a happy medium between smoke and power and EGTs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was actually the chip. Unplugged it and smokes gone. Don’t really feel a difference...
Now I’m worried about the stop leak. Might drain the whole thing again and fill it up with new coolant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts