Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

well some of you know I recently got my GQ 2.8 engine rebuilt including recon injection pump and recon turbo. After coming back from the turbo rebuild she is blowing some blue smoke when I go through the gears, not all the time just going through the gears. Once cruising she does not blow any. I am going to take the truck to United Fuel Injection as they supplied the pump and turbo and my mechanic fitted it to the rebuilt engine. Hopefully after a good dyno and tune she will be back to her normal self.

This has been a long journey and has taken months to get to were we are today so fingers crossed it all goes good. I am going to ask United to get as much power as possible as I have a 3 inch exhaust and fmic so she can have more fuel for more power. I will post the results as I reckon it will be interesting to see what I can get out of the little 2.8 after nearly everything has been reconditioned or replaced.Fingers crossed I don't get more bad news as this has been a process filled with ups and downs. I think I should have gone the LS1 conversion but wanted to retain the diesel for the upcoming lap of oz and I do like something different like the 2.8s maybe I am a masochist. :headwall:

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Hey guys,

well some of you know I recently got my GQ 2.8 engine rebuilt including recon injection pump and recon turbo. After coming back from the turbo rebuild she is blowing some blue smoke when I go through the gears, not all the time just going through the gears. Once cruising she does not blow any. I am going to take the truck to United Fuel Injection as they supplied the pump and turbo and my mechanic fitted it to the rebuilt engine. Hopefully after a good dyno and tune she will be back to her normal self.

This has been a long journey and has taken months to get to were we are today so fingers crossed it all goes good. I am going to ask United to get as much power as possible as I have a 3 inch exhaust and fmic so she can have more fuel for more power. I will post the results as I reckon it will be interesting to see what I can get out of the little 2.8 after nearly everything has been reconditioned or replaced.Fingers crossed I don't get more bad news as this has been a process filled with ups and downs. I think I should have gone the LS1 conversion but wanted to retain the diesel for the upcoming lap of oz and I do like something different like the 2.8s maybe I am a masochist. :headwall:
Mate I know exactly how you feel I'm up to my 3rd rebuild on my td42 engine. Done by an engine reconditioner but using Nason after market parts.
Both times piston seize ups, this next build is going to be Genuine Nissan parts only no after market crap & I'm going to do the build this time.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,142 Posts
Same here. When I got my GQ it had a rebuilt motor in it, only done 35,000km. Not long after it blew a head gasket, so I fixed it. Another 35,000km and it blew another gasket.

Turns out the original rebuild didn't have the cylinder liners installed properly, so there is virtually no protrusion of the liners to compress the head gasket. :(

Not happy!!!!!

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Same here. When I got my GQ it had a rebuilt motor in it, only done 35,000km. Not long after it blew a head gasket, so I fixed it. Another 35,000km and it blew another gasket.

Turns out the original rebuild didn't have the cylinder liners installed properly, so there is virtually no protrusion of the liners to compress the head gasket. :(

Not happy!!!!!
How do you obtain the correct protrusion of the liners ? Do the liners have shims under them or something.

·
Registered
243 Posts
subject

I've done rebuilds using a rubber 'O ring' and/or a copper shim under the liner...both will cause the liner to protrude a millimetre or so, above the block face...when the head is tensioned, the whole lot compresses into a really good seal. Done properly, no damage or leakage has ever shown up.

Works for me....and it is very cost effective!

·
I trust your dash vents are clean...
nissan
732 Posts
I always thought the liners were pressed in then machined down to the correct size/tolerance? I may be wrong though.

·
Registered
nissan
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey fellas

so when I was breaking in the new engine basically I did not sit or cruise on the same speed for any length of time. I relied on my mechy to fill the engine with what ever oil he deemed fit. After a few days I started to take it to about 3000rpms gently. I have been loading it up on hills etc to try and bed things in. Anyway came back from the mine I work at picked up the car from the dyno tuners. Sadly I was told they did not want to dyno the car as in their opinion its has a valve fault??????? So the car is going back to my mechanic and he will see whats going on.

Just to say the mechanic has been really good with this and has done everything to assist. I needed that as this has been a really rough week for me, not just with the car but with little/massive challengers life throws at us. I will see how things go and let you guys know what the deal is. I just want my car going as it should after spending over $12000.00 on it. Just on that please don't talk about LS1s balh blah blah. I talk about this enough with myself.:withstup:

·
Registered
nissan
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may have gone too easy on it too long but it may have other issues.
Hey Bond

nah not too easy mate, been around diesels for at least 30 years. However I agree with the other issues. I believe top end most likely valve related as under power no worries no smoke. So next week she is going to the doctors again. I would most likely investigate myself but had the motor rebuilt by our town mechy so essentially I will leave it with him. As a footnote this smoke began after the fitting of a reconditioned fuel pump.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Hey Bond

nah not too easy mate, been around diesels for at least 30 years. However I agree with the other issues. I believe top end most likely valve related as under power no worries no smoke. So next week she is going to the doctors again. I would most likely investigate myself but had the motor rebuilt by our town mechy so essentially I will leave it with him. As a footnote this smoke began after the fitting of a reconditioned fuel pump.
Mine blow light blue smoke that stung the eyes after my rebuilt pump & motor was started & I adjusted the timing about 1mm clockwise (looking from the back of pump) and it ran sweet with no smoke. The pump wouldn't run correctly on the timing I was given by Diesel Central or the Engine reconditioner got it slightly wrong.

·
Registered
nissan
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine blow light blue smoke that stung the eyes after my rebuilt pump & motor was started & I adjusted the timing about 1mm clockwise (looking from the back of pump) and it ran sweet with no smoke. The pump wouldn't run correctly on the timing I was given by Diesel Central or the Engine reconditioner got it slightly wrong.
Hi Lightspeed.

the above is what I believe may have occurred. I just have to convince others, unfortunately.
I appreciate your help mate.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol/Maverick
593 Posts
Hi Lightspeed.

the above is what I believe may have occurred. I just have to convince others, unfortunately.

I appreciate your help mate.

Good luck! Previous owner had opened the fuel screw on mine so it smoked badly. Every bloody mechanic wanted to rebuild the pump. I replaced injectors then a dyno, where they turned the screw back a tad and voila all fixed! So good luck with the convincing!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts