Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My Patrol is now up to 281,000 kms, its the 97 GQ TD28. Of late, the oil pressure light comes on and the oil pressure gauge drops to zero at idle. Sometimes when idling or changing gears, the tacho will drop to zero like the car is off and jump up and down between 0 and 900 rpm. Now when I drive after I've started it up it'll blow plumes of blue smoke, enough to attract the attention of the fuzz (haven't been stung yet). I know the blue smoke isn't healthy signs for the car and I wanna rectify it as soon as possible. To add to my woes, the car is feeling dull and underpowered for which I found a leak on the injector pump that has since stopped.

Can anyone help? I've searched numerous topics with no such luck :(

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Hey guys,

My Patrol is now up to 281,000 kms, its the 97 GQ TD28. Of late, the oil pressure light comes on and the oil pressure gauge drops to zero at idle. Sometimes when idling or changing gears, the tacho will drop to zero like the car is off and jump up and down between 0 and 900 rpm. Now when I drive after I've started it up it'll blow plumes of blue smoke, enough to attract the attention of the fuzz (haven't been stung yet). I know the blue smoke isn't healthy signs for the car and I wanna rectify it as soon as possible. To add to my woes, the car is feeling dull and underpowered for which I found a leak on the injector pump that has since stopped.

try this mate,
Diesel Smoke tells YOU a Story…

might give you some insight...

have you checked the viatal signs?
bubbles in the radiator?
milky oil?

what about your turbo?
you havent blown the turbo??

·
Registered
Nissan
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No bubbling in the radiator at all, oil is fine and no milky white residue mixed in which usually means a cracked head or blown head gasket. You can still hear the turbo whine from 2000 rpm through to about 3300 rpm

·
Registered
Nissan
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the car to bits but lately it's given me nothing but lemons since I bought it 40,000 kms ago :(

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Blue smoke ,isnt that oil rings ???
Hows the oil consumption lately ???

·
Registered
Nissan
328 Posts
Hey guys,

My Patrol is now up to 281,000 kms, its the 97 GQ TD28. Of late, the oil pressure light comes on and the oil pressure gauge drops to zero at idle.

Put a master gauge on it and check if in fact it does have an oil pressure problem or if the gauges are playing up .

Sometimes when idling or changing gears, the tacho will drop to zero like the car is off and jump up and down between 0 and 900 rpm.

Is it the gauges or does it in fact stall ?

Now when I drive after I've started it up it'll blow plumes of blue smoke,

Blue smoke after start up or going downhill is a sign that the valve stem oil seals are shot .

Is it Auto or manual ? I'm not familiar with the Nissan Auto but sometimes blue smoke is caused by a perforated Modulator valve allowing ATF to be drawn into the intake manifold .

·
Registered
nissan
138 Posts
Blue smoke usually indicates an issue with piston rings and if it is excessive you are likely getting some serious blow by which will in turn affect compression and result in some serious oil consumption.

Just my two cents....

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
292 Posts
Mate, sorry to say but things don't sound too good....

If the issues you are having with your gauges (oil pressure / tacho) only present at idle, you may have an electrical issue, most likely a faulty alternator. This would be easily confirmed by a quick trip to an auto electrician.

Regarding the blue smoke issue, before doing anything i would strongly suggest getting a compression test done and sending an oil sample off for analysis. Both are fairly cheap and simple tasks and will identify any internal problem you may have....

Good Luck....

·
Registered
Nissan
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've run some Castrol 2T Activ in my fuel this week and its somewhat reduced the amount of smoke as well as top up the oil. Oil consumption is normal for the Patrol and isn't chewing up excessive amounts. I'm considering getting some of the CEM gear and running it through on my next oil change.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
Regarding the blue smoke issue, before doing anything i would strongly suggest getting a compression test done and sending an oil sample off for analysis. Both are fairly cheap and simple tasks and will identify any internal problem you may have....
People often mistake blue (burnt oil) smoke for white (unburnt diesel) smoke. You stated it was just after you start it. A cheap and easy test to see what the source is by smelling the smoke. If it is only under load then get someone to drive your rig and follow close enough behind to smell it. Once you are sure that it one or the other than there are a few different avenues to begin exploring.

An oil sample is also cheap and easy. It will tell you many things about the condition of your engine but has to be read by someone who understands it.

I'd only do a compression test when you confirm the smell is burnt oil. Rings are just one thing which can result in burnt oil. It could simply be an issue of valve seals, especially if you only notice the smoke on idle or after idling at a light.

·
Registered
Nissan
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The air filter I fitted about 1000 kms ago myself at home. I went for a drive this morning and it seems the blue smoke issue is slowly dying out. There's a still small puff of it but it doesn't smell like burnt oil. Even when under load at night, it used to smoke a fair bit and now last night it's died down? It's due for an oil change so I'll see if that helps.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
The air filter I fitted about 1000 kms ago myself at home. I went for a drive this morning and it seems the blue smoke issue is slowly dying out. There's a still small puff of it but it doesn't smell like burnt oil. Even when under load at night, it used to smoke a fair bit and now last night it's died down? It's due for an oil change so I'll see if that helps.
If you are doing your oil changes every 5000k, an oil change isn't going to have an effect on smoke. I checked this link posted above: Diesel Smoke tells YOU a Story…. It's missing quite a few other things which could cause white smoke. Did you smell it yet? Let us know what it smells like, otherwise you are wasting your time and our time. BTW, I have never seen blue smoke (burning oil) disappear on its own after the vehicle is warm. It always reappears at idle or start-up if it is the valve guides. From your description, it sounds like you really have white smoke from one or more of your glow plugs not working properly. It it goes away after the engine has been warmed up, then that's likely your problem. But then I am just guessing. If you give more info you'll get better advice.

·
Registered
Nissan
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2 glowplugs were stuffed which I had replaced around 2000 kms ago, atlhough the glow plug light flashes after start up for a few minutes which has got me beat why as it never used to before I replaced them. There is a bit of white smoke which smells like diesel but it happens sometimes when I start my car up in the morning.

The injector pump I had looked at yesterday by Steve at AMMS. There is a leak in the shaft seal, which he reckons air may be getting through and causing the blue smoke under load. This is my 1st diesel 4x4 I have owned as I've had petrols in the past so forgive me If i forget to relay some info that I may have missed :)

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
atlhough the glow plug light flashes after start up for a few minutes which has got me beat why as it never used to before I replaced them. There is a bit of white smoke which smells like diesel but it happens sometimes when I start my car up in the morning.

The injector pump I had looked at yesterday by Steve at AMMS. There is a leak in the shaft seal, which he reckons air may be getting through and causing the blue smoke under load. This is my 1st diesel 4x4 I have owned as I've had petrols in the past so forgive me If i forget to relay some info that I may have missed :)
Sounds like you still have glow system problems. Maybe the relay. The glow lights in my rigs do not flash.

If the Shaft Seal is leaking, you want that fixed ASAP. It'll dump diesel into your crankcase. The bad news is the pump has to come off for it to be done. So now you have three choices. Just fix the shaft seal. Have all the seals replaced. Have the pump torn down and rebuilt. I suggest you at least do all the seals. Depending on how many kms the pump has and how long you plan to own it, you may also want to do a full rebuild.

·
Registered
Nissan
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At the moment I'm trying to get back into employment to save up for the shaft seal job. I'll be getting all the seals replaced. Down the track I plan to eventually get it off and rebuilt when I'm back in the black :) I've been reading up about the glow plug flashing light and have thought as well that it could be a relay problem, again I'll be able to address this once finances allow. There is no more blue smoke billowing out at times, just puffs of white smoke every once in a while when revving which I suspect comes back to the injector pump.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
If you are still driving her while waiting to get into the black, keep an eye on your oil level and make sure your oil doesn't smell like diesel. The usual thing is for the shaft seal to leak diesel via the shaft into your timing gears which are lubed via the crankcase. If you don't catch this happening, saving money for the IP will be the least of your problems.

·
Registered
Nissan
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Canuck,

I was only quoted by a diesel mechanic that it may well be the shaft seal leaking. I've been checking it every day and the leak has stopped. I'm putting it down to the fact that using a diesel additive has actually swollen up the seal itself preventing a further leak or the Caltex diesel I'm using. If I used BP Ultimate, even with additive the pump leaks like a sieve.

·
Registered
Nissan
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some bad news...After a run today, I came home to find dribbles of oil leaking out of the exhaust. It doesn't look good and I'm thinking oil seals. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts