Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, My L28 is blowing too much smoke.

It never use to blow any smoke and now its seems every time I put my foot down is blows a lot of smoke, worse then a diesel.

It is also using or leaking tons of oil.

I have a spare motor out the back and I keen to re build that some time soon but I don't have the dollars to do that at the moment.

I also know it needs an oil change and once I get back from schoolies that what I will be doing.

But can anyone tell me that there could be an easy explanation for this, that doesn't require a huge amount of moolah.

I love my troll and to see it sick, sucks.

Any help is good help.

Cheers Matt

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Do a compression test
That will help determine what it could be

I think its time for a few beers for Disco Muzz,and get him back in the shed

·
Registered
nissan
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah as dad said, the smoke is a bluey grey colour!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
sorry dunno what i was thinking, should of written blue but wrote black, and its not even friday yet

·
Registered
nissan
177 Posts
I did a motor change recently because mine was exactly the same, blowing smoke, using lots of oil and fouling number 4 plug all the time. I got another motor from a forum member and it has been all good since. Had the old motor out and new one in in about 6 hours.

·
Registered
nissan
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a motor change recently because mine was exactly the same, blowing smoke, using lots of oil and fouling number 4 plug all the time. I got another motor from a forum member and it has been all good since. Had the old motor out and new one in in about 6 hours.
Yeah well I am considering the same. I have a spare motor for the car already, which is actually the original motor. Once I get from schoolies I'll chuck it up on an engine stand and start to rebuild. If we do a good enough job I will chuck up our progress on the forum

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Mine smoked a bit too espacialy when full trottle. Ive used 10W40 at that stage and switched to 20W50 GT1 from Kendall wich we use in our BMW's. The smoke was gone and it burns almost no oil anymore!

So, try some thicker oil and maybe some treadment for seals.

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
The PCV is fed through the carby post-air filter.

Any chance this could be over oiling the intake?

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
As an update.

Matt went over the sump and rocker cover with a torque wrench and ALL of the bolts were loose (some finger tight).

A new rocker cover gasket was fitted. Hopefully, with the re-tensioned sump pan and this, we should reduce oil usage.

Now for the puffs of blue exhaust smoke!

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Just watch running heavier oil
If the oil pump is showing signs of age/wear the heavier oil could wreck the oil pump quicker

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
L28's are tough as hell. They can run forever. Just try the thicker oil. Not 80W90 but at least 15W40 or what I did: 20W50.

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
Fair enough!

But first I am going to try venting the PCV valve to atmosphere rather than through the carby.

Suspect old dodgy oil is being vapourised and feeding back through the intake, oiling the plugs.

We shall see!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is the smoke normally after an extended time of overrun? (long decents?) My old girl puts out a hell of a plume of blue smoke after running against engine then accelerating towards next incline, always put it down to worn valve stem seals, mates SD33 does same with 500+k's, once the blue clears, the black starts! Mine been worse since going to Repco 20W/50, but got 20L of it, so the old girl will have to put up with it for a while.

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
This is great feed back.

Thanks folks.

I guess we could summarise it that;

A puff of blue smoke is not really the end of a L28.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.