Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day - I've blown the head gasket on my Nissan Patrol GQ petrol engine and have been told it'll be $8-$10,000 to fix. The mechanic has suggested dropping in another engine.

Any suggestions on whether I stick with a GQ replacement (if I can find one), which is likely to have 300K+ on the clock? Or should I opt for a newer, modern engine from some other model and make?

I know bugger all about mechanics so any collective wisdom this group can provide would be much appreciated.

I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
Must be a bit more than a head gasket for those $$$ 馃槼

Reactions: grumpyone

Registered
nissan gq
Can anyone recommend a good repair shop in Sydney that rebuilds petrol engines?
In the meantime.if you just need to be mobile,K-Seal leak repair is good stuff,about 6 years ago I found a coolant weep at the head gasket {TD} and having just bought a block and running around sorting subbies for the house etc I had no time to put into the car so took a chance on this.About 18 months ago the weep reappeared and I stuck in another dose, (y)

Registered
You might want the mechanic to give you a full quote on what he is planning on spending $8k to $10k on.

I did mine (LPG TB42E) last year and replaced the head for a brand new one. Also gaskets (VRS kit with new head bolts), new water pump, new belts & hoses, coolant + service and filters. $1.5k for the head and VRS, $150.00 for the rest. Took me a lazy day to do with numerous beer breaks and a long lunch.
Based on that he's charging about $1,000.00 an hour labour.

Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
One of the possible causes of the head gasket failure is liner protrusion below minimum spec. This has been known to happen on engines that have been rebuilt - a head gasket can fail after 30-50,000km.

In this instance, a rebuild to fix the problem can cost what you have been quoted.

Registered
One of the possible causes of the head gasket failure is liner protrusion below minimum spec. This has been known to happen on engines that have been rebuilt - a head gasket can fail after 30-50,000km.

In this instance, a rebuild to fix the problem can cost what you have been quoted.
Fair on a diesel, but The TB42 petrol motors don't have liners.

Registered
nissan
Greetings, I had the head replaced on my 1990 GQ patrol (375000) (petrol) in 2020 due to a cracked head( my fault) total cost $2901.80 including $1540 labour. Is your mechanic using gold plated parts?

Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
We still don't know what the actual quote is for. If it's for a full engine rebuild, then it could be reasonable. It also may be a worst case scenario (the full rebuild), and the actual cost ends up being less. Or it could be the mechanic just doesn't want the work, but, "Never say no to a customer."

Until more detailed information is forthcoming, everything is speculation.

Registered
1996 GQ RXST Patrol TD42
G'day - I've blown the head gasket on my Nissan Patrol GQ petrol engine and have been told it'll be $8-$10,000 to fix. The mechanic has suggested dropping in another engine.

Any suggestions on whether I stick with a GQ replacement (if I can find one), which is likely to have 300K+ on the clock? Or should I opt for a newer, modern engine from some other model and make?

I know bugger all about mechanics so any collective wisdom this group can provide would be much appreciated.
If it comes to replacing it I have a complete spare TB42 efi engine here that has supposedly 212,000 on it I might part with for $500 plus freight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts