Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drained a GQ front diff today and the oil was a deep vivid blue colour. Would this be a synthethic diff oil? It didnt have the usual strong pungent smell off mineral diff oil.
There was no leakage into the swivel hubs either, the grease was a reddish/brown colour.
I'm pulling it to bits to truss the housing, just wondering if I should find the same oil and put back in it as some mineral and synthethic oils dont mix.

sudso

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
penrite make a blue oil. Believe its a 140 weight.

Going by what i have seen drip from GQ diffs I really don't think they care about what oil is in use as long as its got some slippery characteristics lol

·
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha true

·
Registered
nissan
11,153 Posts
i think valvolene oil or how ever you spell the rubbish is also blue. castrol oils are clearish though.
and if your stripping it out. leave the centre with the pinion up and pretty much all the oil will run out of it meaning it wont matter what you put back in. and id assume you would need to clean the inside of the diff case after your finished anyway.

·
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah will be cleaning the case but I wont be washing the oil out of the diff centre etc though, better to leave it. If it was some kind of synth oil I would wash it though but Yom made a good point. Nissan diffs are so tough they just need somethin slippery :D

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Nissan diffs are so tough they just need somethin slippery :D
Indeed...
I do believe that in Uganda they are known to put Gorilla Snot in the diff's with no ill effects. :D

·
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Was just trying to find out if it was synthetic which it appears it is not.
More a deep sea green colour with a blueish tinge really.

Cheers, sudso

1 - 9 of 9 Posts