Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing I never bothered with any sort of build thread for the old MK I used to have (been 10 years since that now...wow) I thought I should do one for the GU.

Haven't got any pictures (bit sad really, but I'm sure everyone knows what a GU looks like now, haha). Anyway... It was bone stock, only a safari snorkel, genuine bull bar and tow bar. Oh, and a set of knock off Mickey Thompson sidebiter alloys (I can only assume they're knock offs, no markings anywhere on them apart from load rating on the inside...) and a home made roof rack that was fitted by the previous owner and a set of cheap hid spotlights...

So far I've done the usual, egr block, catch can, 3" exhaust, fitted a ryco diesel pre filter too (z980, supposed to be 10micron element), boost, egt and oil pressure gauges, turbo timer, Uniden UH5060 uhf, some seat covers and floor mats and fixed the remote central locking that the previous owner fitted very badly... The control box was under the bonnet and obviously didn't appreciate that as it and the actuator in the driver's side door had both given up.

I am still in the process of transferring a lot of gear over from my d22 so I can send that off to a new home...

Still got a fair way to go, but I've transferred the redarc isolator and 150w solar panel over in preparation for dual battery setup. Awning has been move also and once I get a set of drawers I will be moving the compressor and all the other gear I've got in the back of the d22 across too...

I will have to get some pictures up soon, but only future plans are really suspension lift, Dawes or Tillix are possibly on the cards, although the crd isn't bad at controlling boost (a lot different to the old wastegated d22 though... ), drawers obviously to get the fridge back in it and just drive the thing...

I do need to find a lighter spare wheel though, so if anyone in Perth has one they'd like to swap or get rid of, feel free to let me know. It currently has a 17" sunraysia with a Kelly safari tyre on and it really isn't doing the barn door a lot of good with that much weight...

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Righto, we will see how these go.

Aerials are for uhf, scanner (can just see right down on the console in the interior pic) and mobile phone.
20200313_133601.jpg

When I got it, it had some dodgy led lights in the bumper holes, the driver's side brake light didn't work at all, plus very badly wired in load resistors for the indicators. I had those hella duraled lights left over from the old MK, and with a bit of trimming of the plastic housings they fitted perfectly.
20200313_133542.jpg

I've changed all the indicators and brake/tail/parkers to leds and changed to an led flasher relay so don't get the hyperflash problem without load resistors.
20200313_135035.jpg

Done the fake light mod too, these are all led as well. As you can see from the other rear photo, the top lenses are still red. With the orange leds behind them they actually come out reasonably well as orange, so I haven't bothered with replacing the lights. The harness I used was a spare one from another pair of d22 lights I had.
20200313_133616.jpg

20200313_133708.jpg

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Rear power setup, solar regulator, fuse panel and power outlets.
20200313_134936.jpg

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Redarc isolator and 50a breaker for rear power. I just need to replace the battery with a new one. The old ns70 from the d22 is a bit sad after having sat in the shed for a year... Will be fitting an n70t in its place soon.
20200313_134547.jpg

Also the catch can and diesel pre filter in the space where the abs module goes :)
20200313_101045.jpg

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've reuploaded all those pictures. Tapatalk apparently makes you pay for ViP now to be able to upload full size... I guess they have to make money somehow... :/

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couldn't help myself, with bcf having an online sale I thought I'd ditch the hids and throw a set of these bad boys on... Will be good to see how well they go on the way to work in the morning in the dark, they're bright enough during the day so I'm expecting good things...
IMG20200320133533.jpg

Reactions: rgren2

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, thanks for the info. From the small amount I've used them on the dark back roads to work they are awesome, will be good to get out on the highway and see how they go...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Done a bit more. Haven't got any photos yet though. Have fitted 3 USB ports. 2 in near the sub tank switch, 1 next to the gear stick along with a dual volt gauge (mainly to keep an eye on the second battery from the drivers seat). Also fitted a 3 socket holder with 2 usbs and a power socket in the back of the centre console.
IMG20200415200041.jpg

IMG20200415200159.jpg

Have done the led conversion to the dash also, it actually wasn't as bad getting the cluster out as I thought it would have been. Used white t5 led globes and they do look slightly green, but I can live with it. Also changed the indicator and high beam tell tales to led (not that I'm expecting them to blow, but don't fancy removing the dash again to replace them). The heater controls work very well with white leds as does the cigarette lighter socket.
IMG20200415200028.jpg

IMG20200415200034.jpg

The camera doesn't really do it justice. It isn't as patchy as what it looks like in the photos for some reason...

Also changed the fuel filter and now need to replace the fuel lines and clamps between the filter and motor as they must be petty brittle. The hose clamps have pretty much had it and I have a slight weep from the return line so will get that sorted out in the next couple of days. Not sure how long since the filter had been done, but it looked pretty old on the outside. I was going to cut it open but decided I couldn't be bothered so just threw it out

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Also did the boost control solenoid and swirl butterfly resistor mod and have fitted manual boost control. Not your standard Dawes or Tillix setup, but the same idea. Funnily enough, it's the same sort of setup I used to have on the MK, well part of it anyway. Does a good job of limiting the boost to around 18psi, no slow boost creep of over 20psi anymore on light throttle (was only an issue since fitting the exhaust, didn't do it with the stock exhaust and egr blocked). I will put photos of that up too.

Thought I'd finally put a photo of this up. It is basically a set dawes valve. I should take it apart and put a couple of photos up on the inside, but basically, on the boost inlet side (to the left of that arrow) it has a small orifice to let boost through. On the other side, the fittings are open, with a spring and ball bearing keeping the orifice shut on the side where the boost reference comes in. The vacuum works as normal through the back side of it and as boost comes on, the ball bearing moves and feeds boost into the vnt diaphragm. Boost is limited to around 18psi with it the way it is at the moment, it does increase above that with very high rpm, but I don't usually go much if anything above 3000 anyway. The only way to adjust boost would be to change the spring. It suits me at the moment, I really only fitted it to see if it was going to work, which it does. I will probably still get a tillix valve in the future, or I may use this in conjunction with the vacsol, just so it limits max boost. It comes as a 2 piece setup, the other valve I haven't used, but could be used the same as a needle valve to limit spool rate. This is the same thing I used on the old MK to limit how much boost reference was bled off from the injector pump diaphragm all those years ago and had very good results with that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I randomly worked out what these wheels are. RAMBO - Access Alloys
They're not bad spec, 1450kg load rated. From what I can find online though, their pricing is up there, around $240 a wheel... I haven't weighed one of mine, but a couple of the websites I've found them on reckon their shipping weight is 11kg, which isn't too bad.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Suspension done. Wasn't expecting that much from what are supposed to be 2" springs, albeit heavy duty ones. I've got King springs front and rear. KDFR42-HHD fronts (supposed to be 100kg constant load front) and KDPR-59 rear (supposed to be 300-500kg constant load rear). Also got Gabriel ultra plus shocks front and rear as well as steering damper. I should have taken a photo of the old gear, the springs weren't too bad, shocks were well and truly stuffed after 175k odd km. No rebound whatsoever from the shocks and steering damper was very soft. Will see how much this sags and how long it takes.

What I haven't added is, I have a set of drawers in the back too. Similar design to the 4wd supacentre titan ones, but from a mob locally in Perth, about the same price as the titan ones with the shipping cost to here. I will have to get a few photos of them too, but empty they weigh approx 80kg, plus the fridge in there permanently, along with tools and recovery gear, I have a fair bit of weight in the back already.

Anyway, a few photos.

Reactions: Foo
1 - 13 of 13 Posts