Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got pulled over and done by the police.
I have a 2inch lift and a 2inch body. Deciding to have a look at getting it engineered and was wondering if I could pass the body lift or if I have to take it out which will mess with the bull bar and sliders. Thanks

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,604 Posts
Got pulled over and done by the police.
I have a 2inch lift and a 2inch body. Deciding to have a look at getting it engineered and was wondering if I could pass the body lift or if I have to take it out which will mess with the bull bar and sliders. Thanks
What size tyres do you have?

You’re allowed 3” (75mm) total without engineering, but this includes body, suspension and larger tyres. One option is to leave the body lift as is, go back to stock suspension and run a 50mm larger than stock diameter tyre. This will put you on the 3” limit.

It shouldn’t be too hard to get a 2” lift, 2” suspension and 33” tyre engineered but with larger tyres it might start getting interesting.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,604 Posts
I believe any body lift will require a lane change test.
That seems a bit odd… :unsure: Lane change test is to check for stability issues due to an increased CoG height. I don’t see how a body lift on it’s own would be any different to a suspension change of the same height.

I’m guessing it’s more a case of body lifts almost always being accompanied by some other change, pushing the overall lift over the 75mm max allowed.

How many Patrols are out there on 31” tyres and stock suspension, but with a body lift?

·
Registered
GQ TD42Ti Dual Cab - GU TD42Ti Wagon
320 Posts
From NCOP11

Raising the height of the vehicle may be performed without certification providing the overall increase in vehicle height is not more than 50mm. This may be achieved as a single modification such as the installation of a 50mm lift kit, or by a combination of smaller lifts as described below:
  • the fitting of body blocks or lift kits (50mm maximum if no other modifications resulting in a change of vehicle height are performed);
  • suspension modification, (50mm maximum if no other modifications resulting in a change of vehicle height are performed);
  • changes to tyre size (maximum change in tyre size diameter of 50mm); or
  • a combination of the above that results in a change of vehicle height not exceeding 50mm.
From VicRoads

Vehicle Standards Information 8
Guide to modification for motor vehicles

This information sheet supersedes
all previous copies of VSI 8.

June 2021

Raising of four wheel drive vehicles – alternative to VSB 14 Modification Code LS In the case of raising the height of an off road type 4WD of ADR Category NA, NB1, MC or MD, and only in this case, the following applies as an alternative to meeting the suspension lift requirements of Section LS of VSB 14:

∞ A combination of suspension lift and the fitting of larger diameter tyres that results in a total lift of up to 75mm without the need for the testing and certification normally required by VSB 14 for lifts above
50mm
∞ The vehicle’s suspension may be raised by up to 50mm, provided that sufficient suspension travel in either direction is retained.
∞ Only commercially available suspension kits may be used.
∞ Such kits must be:
  • manufactured and supplied by a Corporation;
  • specifically designed and tested by the suspension lift kit manufacturer for the make/model/variant of the vehicle being modified to ensure no adverse effect on the modified vehicle’s propensity for rollover, handling characteristics, braking performance and structural integrity when assessed at the combined suspension lift (up to 50mm) and tyre radius increase (up to 25mm), i.e. a total increase in ride height of up to 75mm; and
  • fitted in accordance with the kit manufacturer’s instructions, abiding by any conditions or limitations advised by the suspension kit manufacturer and include a written statement (to be retained by the vehicle owner) of the suitability of the suspension lift kit for the make/model/variant of the vehicle being modified whether or not installed in combination with the permissible tyre diameter increase.
∞ Tyres up to 50mm larger in diameter than that specified by the vehicle manufacturer may be fitted to an off-road type 4WD provided:
  • The entire tyre cross section is covered by the vehicles bodywork in plan view with the front wheels in the straight ahead position
  • The tyres do not foul the bodywork, braking system or any suspension or steering component under any combination of suspension and steering movement.

This is a contradiction in its self, Vicroads say to follow VSB 14 then go and add an other rule that overrides VSB 14. I had this argument with the road worthy inspector on my GU 50mm Suspension lift plus 25mm larger tyre was knocked back because the inspector was following VBS 14 and not the VSI 8 from Vicroads it was a royal pain in the ass.

·
Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol Wagon RD28ETi
275 Posts
Look up the NSW transport requirements. Then make your decision from there. All the states have different rules and regulations about lift heights.

From NCOP11

Raising the height of the vehicle may be performed without certification providing the overall increase in vehicle height is not more than 50mm. This may be achieved as a single modification such as the installation of a 50mm lift kit, or by a combination of smaller lifts as described below:
  • the fitting of body blocks or lift kits (50mm maximum if no other modifications resulting in a change of vehicle height are performed);
  • suspension modification, (50mm maximum if no other modifications resulting in a change of vehicle height are performed);
  • changes to tyre size (maximum change in tyre size diameter of 50mm); or
  • a combination of the above that results in a change of vehicle height not exceeding 50mm.
From VicRoads

Vehicle Standards Information 8
Guide to modification for motor vehicles

This information sheet supersedes
all previous copies of VSI 8.

June 2021

Raising of four wheel drive vehicles – alternative to VSB 14 Modification Code LS In the case of raising the height of an off road type 4WD of ADR Category NA, NB1, MC or MD, and only in this case, the following applies as an alternative to meeting the suspension lift requirements of Section LS of VSB 14:

∞ A combination of suspension lift and the fitting of larger diameter tyres that results in a total lift of up to 75mm without the need for the testing and certification normally required by VSB 14 for lifts above
50mm
∞ The vehicle’s suspension may be raised by up to 50mm, provided that sufficient suspension travel in either direction is retained.
∞ Only commercially available suspension kits may be used.
∞ Such kits must be:
  • manufactured and supplied by a Corporation;
  • specifically designed and tested by the suspension lift kit manufacturer for the make/model/variant of the vehicle being modified to ensure no adverse effect on the modified vehicle’s propensity for rollover, handling characteristics, braking performance and structural integrity when assessed at the combined suspension lift (up to 50mm) and tyre radius increase (up to 25mm), i.e. a total increase in ride height of up to 75mm; and
  • fitted in accordance with the kit manufacturer’s instructions, abiding by any conditions or limitations advised by the suspension kit manufacturer and include a written statement (to be retained by the vehicle owner) of the suitability of the suspension lift kit for the make/model/variant of the vehicle being modified whether or not installed in combination with the permissible tyre diameter increase.
∞ Tyres up to 50mm larger in diameter than that specified by the vehicle manufacturer may be fitted to an off-road type 4WD provided:
  • The entire tyre cross section is covered by the vehicles bodywork in plan view with the front wheels in the straight ahead position
  • The tyres do not foul the bodywork, braking system or any suspension or steering component under any combination of suspension and steering movement.

This is a contradiction in its self, Vicroads say to follow VSB 14 then go and add an other rule that overrides VSB 14. I had this argument with the road worthy inspector on my GU 50mm Suspension lift plus 25mm larger tyre was knocked back because the inspector was following VBS 14 and not the VSI 8 from Vicroads it was a royal pain in the ass.
Pretty useless here as the OP is in NSW

·
Registered
GQ TD42Ti Dual Cab - GU TD42Ti Wagon
320 Posts
Look up the NSW transport requirements. Then make your decision from there. All the states have different rules and regulations about lift heights.

Pretty useless here as the OP is in NSW
Sorry I should of put NSW Reg's in as well Light vehicle modifications manual - suspension and ride height

3.2 Modifications that require assessing and certification

The significant modifications below require a vehicle to be assessed. The vehicle may be subject to a single modification or a combination of modifications. If the vehicle has been subject to a number of modifications, the assessment must ensure that the cumulative effect of all the modifications are considered.
a. A change in the vehicle’s suspension –
i. that increases the vehicle’s ride height between 50mm and 125mm; or
ii. of up to 125mm that combined with an increase in the diameter of the wheel and tyre combination of up to 50mm increases the vehicle’s ride height between 75mm and 150mm.
b. Except for items under (e), (f) and (g) above, installation of a variable ride height system.
c. Any increase in the ride height using a body lift.
d. A change in the diameter of the wheel and tyre combination in excess of +/- 7% of the largest size specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

So yes Body Blocks are possibe but only via engineering in NSW.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts