·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am about to swap an L28 body over to an sd33T

what I have

1x rolling 83MQ shorty L28 model near mint body

1x 86 MK going and registered SD33T well used body but heaps of goodies

so i want to take and fit the L28 body to the SD33,so what headache am I going to run into with them being petrol and diesel,remember bother are complete bar the L28 has no L28 engine

will be using the rolling chassis from the SD33 with the engine and box and fitting the MQ body,so will have all wiring harnesses dash etc
any pit falls,traps,short cuts,etc that I would need to be aware of would be great

Oh have done a body /chassis swap before on my GQ ute so do know the amount of work I am up for

cheers in advance

and here is a picture of the MQ shorty

and here is the MK shorty

also have another complete L28 MK rust bucket for any bit that get broken in the transplant,which will most likely get parted out soon after
Lindon

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
There are no real worries about the swap. I've done it a couple of times.

Want to sell the snorkel on the red one?:p

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are no real worries about the swap. I've done it a couple of times.

Want to sell the snorkel on the red one?:p
nah mate keeping the snorkel on the red one but doubt I'll have much use for the one on the yellow shorty tho

only real main thing in side would be dash and wiring for glow plugs, and are the brake boosters the same????
yes mate thats the bit I am unsure of atm,but the plan is to take the harness from the dash cluster to the head lights,plus the diesel cluster it's self and any relays modules etc that aren't on the petrol body,booster should be the same but will check them both and part No if there is a difference wil swap them over too

another question some of you might beable to help me with notice how the yellow one has guard chop,reckon with the red body being swap over it will need the guards chopped,has 2" spring lift near new 2" snake shackles and will most likely put the 2" body lift that the red body has under it on also,and don't really want to chop good guards up on the front

any one no if there will be any fuel system probs with it,as in should I swap the lines in the engine bay over ? ,and i should imagine the rear harness for tail lights etc would be the same in both,been awhile since I have tinkered with the old MQ/MK had a few about 6 patrols I think might be a couple there I have forgot about,this will be my first sd33T tho had a couple of SD33's ,and last 4 years or so have been GQ's.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,262 Posts
only thing i might do would be swap tanks, or av real good flush to make sure there no fuel in the lines and tank. Mind you petty makes a diesel go really hard, but not real what your after.

all the rest of the electrics should be the same, only difference would be if it where 24 volt.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
only thing i might do would be swap tanks, or av real good flush to make sure there no fuel in the lines and tank. Mind you petty makes a diesel go really hard, but not real what your after.

all the rest of the electrics should be the same, only difference would be if it where 24 volt.

nah mate both 12V and the diesel one has one of those big 140L heavy duty tanks so will be using that tank, tho got me thinking now, is the tank bolted to chassis or body if it is chassis it will be all good can stay on chassis and wont have to touch it bar the fuel filler pipe,sorry for all the questions all ways been a ute man first none ute body/chassi swap for me

·
Registered
nissan patrol
147 Posts
The fuel tank and fuel pipes to the front are on the chassis not on the body so there shouldn't be any problems there.
Johno.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey Lindon,

So you bought John's bus? Kyle mentioned you had a cab swap project on the go, didn't realise it was John's. There are definitely some goodies on that vehicle. Should be a pretty straight forward swap being both 12 volt. A lot of work none the less. But as you said you have everything from both vehicles so should be cool. I may be interested in some of your leftovers if you're getting rid of some bits.

Cheers,
Anthony

By the way if you want a hand with anything or want to look at mine for reference(it was petrol, now sd33t), give us a shout.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,262 Posts
yeah fuel tank is on the chassis, i have a standard tank in mine ( the one i'm doing up) Has body lift and never touched the filler neck all fits fine with 2" lift.

Goint to put the 140 litre tank i have in the spare bus in, so with that and my sub tank i should have around 200-220 litres. should give a good range hopefully

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Hi Guys,

Im considering a simalar swap - is it worth going from a L28 running LPG to a SD33T

The sd33t was recently rebuilt.

Would it be worth the swap.

What elese would I need to change?

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
tassie,
only body swap rite ???
diesel motor and running gear stays in old chassis rite ??
just disconnect any fuel lines on the old body and fit to new body, im sure they just run up chassis and connect straight to motor not real hard
wiring fittings are square on mk and round on mq (havent got mk here to check)only take u 3 seconds to check,no real drama if there different
being both 12v good start,but personally would swap all wiring from bodies over then u now its good
brake booster and clutch master cylinder could be different,just unbolt and swap(unbolt master cylinder at firewall ,tape the push rod up so doesnt move and sit on motor then wont have to rebleed when on new body,save a bitta stuffin around
mite need to swap the plate over near gearsticks(just unbolt)incase sticks are in different positions
your using old diesel radiator ect ect,use as much from old body to new as much as possible
as for above,changing l28 petrol to sd33turbo,youll need a few parts,rear tailshaft are different, youll need glow plug timers,relays ect , best get a donor vechicle if you dont have already

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Lindon,

So you bought John's bus? Kyle mentioned you had a cab swap project on the go, didn't realise it was John's. There are definitely some goodies on that vehicle. Should be a pretty straight forward swap being both 12 volt. A lot of work none the less. But as you said you have everything from both vehicles so should be cool. I may be interested in some of your leftovers if you're getting rid of some bits.

Cheers,
Anthony

By the way if you want a hand with anything or want to look at mine for reference(it was petrol, now sd33t), give us a shout.
thanks Doc,yeah kyle gave me your list mate,pretty sure I'll have most of it,and yes johns old bus mate,not sure yet if just swap bodys or,chasis and all got some major steering and handeling problems I am trying to nut out first

tassie,
only body swap rite ???
diesel motor and running gear stays in old chassis rite ??
just disconnect any fuel lines on the old body and fit to new body, im sure they just run up chassis and connect straight to motor not real hard
wiring fittings are square on mk and round on mq (havent got mk here to check)only take u 3 seconds to check,no real drama if there different
being both 12v good start,but personally would swap all wiring from bodies over then u now its good
brake booster and clutch master cylinder could be different,just unbolt and swap(unbolt master cylinder at firewall ,tape the push rod up so doesnt move and sit on motor then wont have to rebleed when on new body,save a bitta stuffin around
mite need to swap the plate over near gearsticks(just unbolt)incase sticks are in different positions
your using old diesel radiator ect ect,use as much from old body to new as much as possible
as for above,changing l28 petrol to sd33turbo,youll need a few parts,rear tailshaft are different, youll need glow plug timers,relays ect , best get a donor vechicle if you dont have already
good info mate ,thanks,and yes will be keeping as much of the diesle side of thing as possible

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Brake booster/master cilinder is the same. The cover for the gear levers is different, so you need to swap that to.

·
Registered
nissan
53 Posts
hi boys i have found a body and is puttin it on my sd33t chassis i need to know methods of the way you lift the body up and off the chassis and how to put it on where do i lift it from etc...

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
bushpig,
there was abit writin about doin body swaps not long ago
it had a few handy hints and a coupla short cuts
do a search and see wat u can find ,send me a PM if u cant find anything

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dose anyone have or know where I could get a minimal rust free short wheels base body for a fairly cheep price to out in the blue swb on my profile photo. The body is the only place that has rust besides the coil overs which I could replace.

·
Registered
Nissan
15 Posts
You looking for an mq or gq body? Mq bodys impossible and gq body is very slim chances the roof wont have rust your better off fixing what youve got these days

1 - 19 of 19 Posts