1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
7 Posts
Bigfoot Scoops for the GU Series

Designed and made by Dragon Composites.
There are three variations of the Scoops Available

Mk1 -- Original Bigfoot : Non ADR Compliant.
Mk2 -- ADR Compliant as at 1/1/2011.
Mk3 -- ADR Compliant as at 1/1/2011.
All three drop straight onto the existing mounts. ( No Mods )
All of the scoops follow the same design principals as the original Mk1.
Intake Area and Overall Height.
Mk1 -- 226 squ cm -- Ht 11.0 cm.
Mk2 -- 185 squ cm -- Ht 8.3 cm.
Mk 3 --165 squ cm -- Ht 7.8 cm.
Standard OEM Scoop 100 squ cm -- Ht 4.3 cm.
All three use blades for airflow control and the same hardware for installation.
They bolt onto the existing mounts, there are seals for the mounts and the base of the scoop.
Grill is diamond cut Aluminium mesh, powder coated Satin Black.
The fasteners are 304 S/S.
These specs apply to all three scoops.
Cooling Fans.
Some members have requested scoops without the front blade, to enable Fan installation.
This is not a problem, just a special request.
Concept of the Scoops.
The design of the scoop is primarily to increase the cooling efficiency of the standard or
aftermarket intercooler. This is achieved by increasing the volumetric intake area of the
throat and splitting the airflow as it enters, giving 40 to 45% of the air to the front of the
intercooler and the rest to the rear. With the additional height at the front, the scoop is able
to collect a greater disturbed laminar flow over the bonnet, which is generally caused by
bullbars and driving lights.
All scoops rely on forward motion of the vehicle to become effective, this creates the lower
pressure in the engine bay and allows the higher pressure air to be drawn through the
intercooler.
Having an increased volumetric area, causes a greater mass flow of ram air for the same given
speed of the vehicle in the scoops intake and hence across the intercooler.

The Sweep back of the scoop, is to reduce the profile drag. When viewed from the front all
you see is the intake throat. The tapered sides and back also help resume laminar airflow to
the wind screen. There is an intake grill to try and stop foreign objects damaging the
intercooler.
Warranty is good for twelve months from purchase date on any defect from the production
stage of the scoop, other than normal wear and tear or accidents.
Availability:
All three scoops are available through --
Total Care 4WD”,
2 Artisan Road.
Seven Hills.
NSW.
(2) 9838 9779
Web Site for Total Care 4WD is
------

totalcare4wd.com.au”

They can be purchased:
Bare -- All edges sanded and imperfections in joins filled. Ready to sand and prime.
Primed -- Ready to sand and paint.
Painted -- Ready to bolt straight on.
Special requests-- Meaning modified scoops, I will consider depending on the supply and
demand situation.
Regards Barney.
There are some pics in the next frame..

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Additonal Pics

Pics of Bigfoot Scoops;

Bigfoot Mk 1 Is in the first two pics.
" " Mk 2 Intake slants rearward and is painted a gold colour.
" " Mk3 Is painted white.

The last pic, from left to right is- Mk1 - Mk2 - Mk3 - And OEM Scoop.

For the FAN installers-- The airfoil in the front of the scoop sits 47mm above the grill of the intercooler and 40mm back from the leading edge of the fins (the front) These measurements are from the ZD30.

Fans on 4.2 GU's :: I have just fitted a Scoop to a 04 4.2 GU The inertcooler is mounted different to the ZD30, it is mounted on rails attached to the body and there was not enough room to flex it down to accommodate the scoop and the Fan at the same time. The option for it, is to try the scoop without the Fan and if there is still the requirement for the Fan, then the front blade in the Scoop will have to be sectioned out or removed to accommodate the Fan.

Pictures by DragonComposites - Photobucket

Thanks for your help Matt.

Attachments

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Looks good mate. Price? Any specs on performance increase, reduced egts etc?

·
Registered
Nissan
142 Posts
Great idea. If it was priced reasonably, I'd definitely be interested. Will you be selling them unpainted or painted? Might be worth considering selling them painted if you want to get any volume - there are a limited number of Patrol colours, and would make it more appealing to those of us who would be happy to pay a bit extra to just bolt it on and go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Met the guy doing the Simpson Desert last week, he was on his way up to Dalhousie, we were on our way back down. Scoop looked good. Very well made and did not look DIY. He reckons it's dropped his EGT temps significantly.

·
Banned
1,723 Posts
What about those running top mounted intercooler fans , will the scoop still fit ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think i would get one as well look realy good a painted one would be good less stuffing around just bolt on ...........

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Top effort, don't like it myself , but still very good quality and you have thought it out well with the ducts being in there also

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
nissan
5,282 Posts
Ok guys, here is the direct quote from my boss, Robb Janson who received the trial version to test on his Simpson crossing:

Matt,
I have just completed 6000 kilometers with the scoop fitted
and can report that i am rapted in the product. First thing was the fitment of the scoop which was no problem. Just required the rubber bellows to be removed and the old scoop unbolted and the new one bolted straight on. The pre- painted item was a perfect colour match and the finish as good as ome, also the look suites the patrol.
We left Orbost wirh a fully loaded camper trailer and not a spare inch of space left in the patrol. I poked its nose up the first real hill out of Nowa Nowa and held it flat in fourth gear. I have a pyro fitted in the exhaust manifold and for this load normally would see exhausts temperatures climb above 700 deg C; this time 550 deg was the maximum I recorded.
This indicates the scoop has increased the efficiency of the intercooler by a large enough margin to notice a big drop in exhaust temperatures.
On some climbs on the Great Ocean Road I had the patrol pulling hard up hills at low speed (40) and still did not get above 550 deg EGT.
Mechanically I can not fault the scoop after pushing into 40 knot head winds from Mt Baker to Hawker. And 1400 km of dirt including some badly corrugated roads around Dalhousie and Mt Dare; no sign of fatigue on the vanes or body.
I would recommend this product for any intercooled patrol with a bullbar or stone guard which could hinder the air flow to the standard scoop (not sure if the standard scoop works as well with no bullbar so i can not comment)
Regards Robb Janson

This is a direct cut from the latest email sent to me from Robb, so from the sounds they look great and work extremely well, and Robbs a hard guy to impress with items like this

Cheers Matt

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Kinda looks like the bat mobile :)

Whilst Im ARE for life, Ill give credit where its due, and in this case it is.

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
In the photo with the scoop propped up on a stick it looks like the is carbon fiber. Is it or is that just fiberglass?

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Hey Matt , will you guys be making one for the gq.

Tell us all what we are dying to find out, how much?

Cheers Chris.

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
nissan
5,282 Posts
Chris, its not me making them mate, Frank is the whole deal mate, i just did the trials for him, he wanted someone totally external to test them for him, so i got my boss Robb to do it for me

Cheers Matt

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'll be very interested to see the price also

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
scoop

great product and great feed back from an awesome test. well done guys.:p.

1 - 20 of 267 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.