·
Registered
nissan patrol
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to fit a bonnet scoop to my gq not sure what way to go
do i put 1 in the middle or run 2 1 either side

if i go 1 will be something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360252084294&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

if i go 2 will be something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360284200122&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

now the next question
should i run them forward facing to push air in or rearward facing to let the air out????

cheers
Roddo

·
Autos are Superior
11,601 Posts
Best place to fit it is over your intercooler. No point having one on each side and no air flowing thru the cooler.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,171 Posts
Say's it all:

Can be used for cosmetic or actual/working applications.
:D

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan patrol
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks is one but i would also like to keep the engine bay a little cooler as it can only help.

·
nissan
19,171 Posts
A standard 4.2 diesel engine bay is pretty unlikely to get overly hot. Bonnet scoops are meant for intercoolers or to assist petrol engines with intake airflow, not engine cooling. Just cut some louvres into the bonnet and you'll get all the cooling you need.

Cheers

Ray

·
nissan
19,171 Posts
Nope, you need to do something like this (note the direction of the louvres):

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
254 Posts
I picked up a scoop for my GQ non-turbo diesel a few weeks ago, and fitted it last week. Picked the scoop up off evilbay for $90 + freight, looks like it came off a GQ. Just had to paint it & mount it, (on the left for the air in-take).. Goes much better now, engine doesn't labour as easy, acceleration is better, & using less fuel too.. can put some pics up when i get the missus to show me how to reduce the sizes, (again, lol).

·
Registered
nissan
254 Posts
BE CAREFUL!!! If you're only doing it for looks, most scoops will point downwards meaning you need to either cut the scoop flat on the bottom or cut a hole in your bonnet to get it to sit flat on the top of the bonnet... I spent most of the day getting mine right, & still buggered it up slightly...

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
I picked up a scoop for my GQ non-turbo diesel a few weeks ago, and fitted it last week. Picked the scoop up off evilbay for $90 + freight, looks like it came off a GQ. Just had to paint it & mount it, (on the left for the air in-take).. Goes much better now, engine doesn't labour as easy, acceleration is better, & using less fuel too.. can put some pics up when i get the missus to show me how to reduce the sizes, (again, lol).

Are you saying you have it plumbed, somehow for your engine air intake?

·
Registered
nissan
254 Posts
exactly that Bruza, she now breaths nice clean cool air through the scoop, rather than horrible dirty air from the front guard... (will put pics up for you later).

·
Registered
nissan
254 Posts
here it is, fittings used are just 90mm stormwater pipe fittings. used an 80x80x90mm adaptor to connect to the factory air cleaner housing, just tek-screwed to the top, leaves a slight gap at the bottom for any water that gets in to drain out. followed by a 15deg bend & then a 90deg bend pointed up. pulled out the pre-filter & connecting hose for it. also siliconed some fibreglass flyscreen inside the scoop to stop any bugs etc getting in. bit of door seal rubber from clarke rubber to seal between the bonnet & 90deg bend. all up about $150.. :D:D:D

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
254 Posts
as above, there's a gap of about 4-5mm at the bottom at the join between the factory air cleaner & the new PVC fitting, I drove home from work in the pissing rain the other night no probs, i even get a stretch of road to do 100km/h on and still no probs, smooth as silk...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.